WR competition

bucsfan333

I think they 're going to try and stash Bailey and maybe Phillips on the practice squad.  I m not sure Wilson won t get claimed if he doesn't make the 53 man roster.  This is very interesting because it is likely this will be DJax and Humphries last season on the team, so trying to hord the cheap, young talent now will help with the extensions coming for guys who are getting 2nd contracts at other positions.  I think the top 4 WRs right now are around 31 million against the cap this season.  I think removing Djax and Humphries would save around 14.5 million next season.

44 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I think they 're going to try and stash Bailey and maybe Phillips on the practice squad.  I m not sure Wilson won t get claimed if he doesn't make the 53 man roster.  This is very interesting because it is likely this will be DJax and Humphries last season on the team, so trying to hord the cheap, young talent now will help with the extensions coming for guys who are getting 2nd contracts at other positions.  I think the top 4 WRs right now are around 31 million against the cap this season.  I think removing Djax and Humphries would save around 14.5 million next season.

Yeah. I can't see us extending Hump for a fair price. And I can't imagine DJax stays next year after his guaranteed money runs out. We've got a bunch of guys to extend.

If Watson continues to progress and Bobo doesn't get snatched away, we could roll into next season four deep at WR again. With Bailey having a chance to make the 53.

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Yeah. I can't see us extending Hump for a fair price. And I can't imagine DJax stays next year after his guaranteed money runs out. We've got a bunch of guys to extend.

If Watson continues to progress and Bobo doesn't get snatched away, we could roll into next season four deep at WR again. With Bailey having a chance to make the 53.

I envision Humphries in New England next season.  I don't think his cap hit will be that bad on a multi year extension, he s really already made quite a career for himself as a tryout player.

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

I envision Humphries in New England next season.  I don't think his cap hit will be that bad on a multi year extension, he s really already made quite a career for himself as a tryout player.

Slot WRs and low end twos made $6M+ last offseason. Hump should ask for (and get) around $5M.

Then again, I expected Pamphile to get more than he did. So I dunno.

5 hours ago, indifference said:

I would not be so quick to move on from Jackson for any of those unproven guys. I’d keep him as long as I can he is probably the most open WR on the team and those wheels will likely be good for a min like the late Joey Galloway.

You made me think Galloway died and I missed it. ?

We only need to move on from DJax to free up cap space. We've got Marpet, D Smith, and Kwon to pay. After trading for JPP, money's tight. Also gotta think about the potential Jameis contract that's gonna push $30M.

We're only looking at ~$14.6M in cap space next year. Cutting/trading DJax and Gholston would free up $13.75M.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Jackson is as good as gone next year with the emergence of Godwin. Sorry but Godwin is the better receiver right now. I’d love to move Jackson to a team for some defensive help. Never can have enough edge rushers. 

Especially with how disappointing Spence has been. Gholston plays better at DT. Is Clarke really our third or fourth best DE? Oof.

But I think we'll keep DJax for this year. He and Jameis seem to have figured out the deep ball and Monken has used DJax all over the place; and it works.

Archived