Preseason WK3: Broncos @ Redskins

turtle28

27 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The thing about keeping Taylor is it allows you to rotate Settle and Taylor in the middle while moving Payne all around the defensive line. You could have a look that features Allen, Settle and Payne on the DL. Keeping Hood at this point doesn’t make very much sense. 

They also played Taylor and Settle together some last night. I believe Taylor was at LDE. To me, it looks like Taylor has lost 10-15 pounds. It wouldn’t shock me if he weighs 320 or 325 instead of 335-340. I didn’t see much of a belly on him at all compared to last year.

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

They also played Taylor and Settle together some last night. I believe Taylor was at LDE. To me, it looks like Taylor has lost 10-15 pounds. It wouldn’t shock me if he weighs 320 or 325 instead of 335-340. I didn’t see much of a belly on him at all compared to last year.

I think they end up keeping Taylor. He’s an obvious injury risk but he’s a difference-maker and he’s worked his butt off for them. Lanier needs to be paid now so we don’t lose him this off-season and we need to draft an ILB and re-up Spaight to be the primary back up. All in all, it wasn’t a great game by any means but there were some individual performances to get excited about. I thought Nicholson played well and Moreau showed some flashes. It wasn’t a completely lost showing so that’s good. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

I think they end up keeping Taylor. He’s an obvious injury risk but he’s a difference-maker and he’s worked his butt off for them. Lanier needs to be paid now so we don’t lose him this off-season and we need to draft an ILB and re-up Spaight to be the primary back up. All in all, it wasn’t a great game by any means but there were some individual performances to get excited about. I thought Nicholson played well and Moreau showed some flashes. It wasn’t a completely lost showing so that’s good. 

The only gripe I have on Nicholson is that he missed that tackle on Royce Freeman which allowed the Broncos first TD. The Broncos OL did a great job blocking on that play. They moved Payne over to the left by a yard or two, Vigil filled the A gap but got stoned and Foster got washed out of the play from left to right, which left Nicholson and I think Dunny there to tackle Freeman to prevent a TD. Freeman basically ran over Nicholson on his way to a 27 yard TD run.

Nsekhe missed a block that would’ve sprung Bibbs for a big gain on 3rd and one on the offenses 3rd drive. If Neskhe gets that block, bibbs probably goes for 10-20 yards on 3rd and 4 or maybe more.

Next play though, Peterson goes for 15 yards on 4th and 1.

If Richardson doesn’t fall to his knees after his 3rd reception from Alex, he may have scored on that play or at least gotten inside the ten yard line.

Little things like those and Alex just missing a few players high killed their first few drives.

1 minute ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Spent an evening watching Sesame Street then sleeping, any injuries of noteworthiness or are we good? That’s all I really care about 

Just that McCoy had his thumb bent back, not sure how serious it is.

Now that the Broncos have a QB again, Sanders and Thomas are going to have huge years for the Broncos and Courtland Sutton looked good for them to.

It wouldn’t shock me if Sanders gets near 100 receptions like he did in 2014.

I like seeing Danny Johnson as the kick off return man and Quinn continues to look good as the punt returner. With them as well as Stroman, it was a good job by the front office finding 3 young guys this offseason who can return so Crowder doesn’t have to.

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Lanier needs to be paid now so we don’t lose him this off-season

Just a point: Lanier will be a RFA this offseason. Given how rarely teams sign other teams RFAs, I think it's relatively safe to bet he'll be here next year. After that? That becomes a bit more dicey.

7 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Spent an evening watching Sesame Street then sleeping, any injuries of noteworthiness or are we good? That’s all I really care about 

The lack of Pokemon GIFs was noted.

Well, that game was a complete dud

-Alex Smith looked bad. There’s simply no way around this. He held the ball too long. He wasn’t trusting his receivers and he was constantly looking to backs and TEs to dump the ball off. This is the guy we all feared showing up as opposed to the gunslinger from last year. Let’s hope we don’t see much more of this version.

-Adrian Peterson flat out looked amazing. You have to take into account that he just got here and was running all over Denver. I know we’re told to believe 30-year old RBs are done but he just looked like Adrian Peterson to me. Big, strong, fast. Kelley has lost his job. 

-Daron Payne is a monster. Watching him slide the guard down the line and then tossing him out of the way to make the tackle was beautiful. In my opinion he’s already our best defender. I think we have an elite defensive lineman on our hands. 

-Fabian Moreau has impressed me. He’s young and has a lot to learn but he’s flashing the ability that had him in the first round before he got hurt. 

-Trey Quinn just doesn’t impress me. He’s not fast and he has almost no wiggle in the open field. I know some are pigeonholing him into the slot spot behind Crowder but I actually think he gets cut and moved to the practice squad.

-Troy Apke is terrible. I’m fully aware he’s a major work in progress and the canvas is impressive but he has to harness that ability. At this point he can’t cover and his tackling is woeful. Luckily for him his coach is one of the best in the business. 

-Geron Christian is bad. I know people see long arms and athleticism but sheesh he needs work. I’m firmly in the camp that believes this guy has no NFL future and will bounce around the league as a back up. 

-Ryan Anderson is terrible. Somehow he’s managed to be worse than Trent Murphy. They need to try and move him to the middle because he cannot rush the passer at all. If it were me I’d be trying to move him in a trade or just flat out cut him. 

-Shaun Lauvao surprisingly looked good. He was opening holes and moving defenders off the ball with ease. I have no idea why but he looked good. 

-Phil Taylor is impressive. Just considering what he’s up against it’s amazing to see him out there making a difference. He should make the team simply because he’s better than Hood.

-Martrell Spaight has been everywhere this preseason. It could just be the competition he’s facing or he’s finally developing into a damn good LB. Either way he’s certainly improved as a player. I’d almost consider talks about a new contract with him.

Finally, I don’t understand what Jay was thinking playing the starters for such a short amount of time? Alex clearly needs the work and pulling him when he was playing so poorly was disappointing. It would’ve been nice to see them let him lead a TD drive just for confidence sakes. Oh well, on to week 4. 

@lavar703The only thing I can say about Alex’s performance is that it was bad yes,  but it is just preseason. But we have to remember that all QBs have bad quarters/halves and even games. We’ve seen others have bad games or slow starts in a Redskins uniform for a quarter or half, only to throw for 200 to 300 yards and 2 TDs in the second half. 

Also, while I mostly agree that he didn’t look downfield for his WRs, that’s not entirely true. Once he tried to hit Vernon 20 yards downfield and just barely over threw him by a yard or so. If he hits that, Vernon may have been gone, but I do understand that he didn’t hit him and that’s all that matters.

And, while Doctson didn’t get any targets - which I can’t fathom -PRich got 3. Richardson had 2 receptions and on one of them, he fell to his knees after he caught it - that certainly wasn’t Alex’s fault - if PRich doesn’t fall to his knees on that play, it’s at least a 20 yard gain if not a TD with his speed.

This is why I agree with you 100% on Alex needing another quarter. It’s like they were so close on a few pass plays to really having something but they just barely missed it. I would’ve definitely  liked to see finish the first half and to see them come out in the second half to see if they could get in a rhythm in the 3rd quarter before having it up for the night.

- As for Christian, he has time to develop. We’ve certainly seen guys like Moses come in with bad feet and needing to get stronger as rookies only to work hard in the next offseason and then turn it around while developing into a good starter. Christian needs to work hard and hopefully he does the same thing Moses did.

- Agree on Apke. I will say he did tackle better in the second half, I’m sure Torian Gray lit him up! And, while I agree on Anderson, I’m no where near to the point where I’d consider moving him to ILB  - where he’s never played before and he wouldn’t make the team over guys who’ve played there in high school and college - or consider cutting him. At this point he’s our 4th OLB.  Like Christian, he needs to work hard and at least develop into a LOLB who can get a handful of sacks a year and be a great run defender like a lot of LOLBs in the NFL are.

- I 100% agree on everything else. AD looks like a short term/fix to our RB woes and we may even consider re-signing him for next year if he has a decent season bc Guice will be coming off the torn ACL.

Phil Taylor and Spaight look like monsters. They went from guys on the outside looking in when camp started for most to IMO roster locks. I just don’t know how you keep either off the team, they are great around run defenders and Phil Taylor was throwing OL around like rag dolls. 

Archived