Pre-Season Week 3 vs MIA

DreamKid

7 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Lamar Jackson needs to stop moving the chains so effectively with his legs. Needs to hit completions short of the sticks on 3rd down so we can talk up his completion percentage and praise his poise.

The play he made in the 4.th quarter where he stepped out of the pocket and then found tim White is exactly what I had hoped to see more off. He can quickly and with ease buy himself 1-2 seconds with clear vision downfield when he plays like that.

Just finished watching the game over again. My thoughts:

- RG3 didn't have a good night. At a bad time too, as Jackson just had his best. Griffin was very inaccurate, made poor decisions, and missed Perriman for a wide open TD during the goal line drive that ended in a FG. He had a great run, but outside of that did not play well.

- On the big plays we gave up there is and isn't cause for concern:

1. Albert McClellan (who sucks) and Chris Board each gave up completions to WRs. Clear mismatches we won't see in the regular season and can throw out the window.

2. Board covering a WR happened on the same scoring drive for the Dolphin's 1s where Tony Jefferson worked his magic. Tony failed miserably on a 3rd & 1 where he decided to just let Gesicki catch the ball. Then he put the cherry on top with a horrifying attempt to corral Amendola on his TD catch. Before this drive he also missed a tackle on Kenyon Drake during his big gain. 

After an early TFL and big hit from Jefferson I thought we'd finally start seeing the player we all wanted, but quickly he showed us we wouldn't be. 

3. Not to be outdone, another usual culprit decided to join the party. Peanut gave up a massive completion to Kenyon Drake.

4. Deshon Elliot failed on a routine defense, but it was because he had just broken his forearm. 

1&4 can be thrown out as unfortunate occurrences, but let's get into 2&3.

- Kenny Young and Chuck Clark are outplaying Onwuasor and Jefferson. In a big way.

Kenny Young has decimated Peanut in their competition for the WILB spot. His coverage is on another level, he's also made great plays against the rush, and is showing a knack for blitzes. Kudos to the FO for identifying Young, who is levels above what we all thought. 

Chuck Clark is no different, the analytics were on his side but my god was he a find. His KO hit tonight made me even higher on him as a player. Which BTW was not an illegal hit. The ball carrier lowered his head as Chuck was going low on him. Clark has put down so much good tape this preseason, which makes it even more sad that he has no shot at starting. 

- This was the best OL we've gone up against and the first time we've seen a team game plan against us and still our OLBs got the job done. The Dolphins used chips, screens, and relied on quick passes all night. Still that wasn't enough to get our pass rush out of their life. Even Correa emerged again with his best night since the HOF game. He was super close to a strip sack on Tunsil and later had a highlight reel bull rush that almost knocked the tackle off his feet. 

- Jordan Lasley had a great game. He was strong as a blocker and didn't drop any passes. Lasley uncovered all night and was close to scoring in the redzone. 

- Zach Sieler had another good game, adding a few pressures and a QB hit to his stockpile. 

- Janarion Grant has won the returner competition. We'll see if it matters. This WR competition is getting interesting. 

Nothing says Preseason like a 3rd string guard playing Left Tackle against another team's 1st string defense. Props to Eluemanor for trying his best lol.

Yea RG3 wasn't terrible, but you can't convince me that if Flacco went out for 2-3 weeks and we needed to keep the season a float, that we'd be any better off starting him than Jackson. I'm certain the supporting cast step up more with the electric Jackson back there. 

Archived