Casting 96 out?

SemperFeist

51 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

Maybe it’s selfish of me, but I hope Robi decides to call it a career. I’d be pretty bummed to see him on another squad.

You never know, but I would expect Robison to do a soft retire and sit by the phone in case of an injury to the Vikings d-line. 

Sorry to see Robison go, he was a lot of fun as a player and obviously a great teammate. 

Robison still had something in the tank last year as a pure edge rusher, but the nickel DT role didn't suit him well. I got a stat from the PFF Vikings guy that showed Robison was still putting up respectable pressure numbers as a true DE lined up outside the tackles, but lined up inside he was almost completely ineffective (something like 10% pass rush productivity off the edge vs 3% inside). His run defense also went south the last couple of years -- Hunter was much better, and Bower should be too (not Weatherly though). 

The Vikings only offering Robison the vet minimum was a sign they expected to be able to replace him this year. I'm a bit surprised they still released him after he accepted that offer, and came in to camp looking pretty good and holding down his spot on the depth chart throughout preseason.

But I respect the decision to cut ties and move on. Robison doesn't play special teams and they' don't need more than 4 DEs rotationally even if one's playing at DT sometimes. Based on preseason, Bower and Weatherly are ready and deserve to play ahead of Robison -- they're just better right now. Barr is the other factor: if he's going to line up at DE on some nickel downs, they'll need to move Griffen or Hunter (hopefully Griffen) inside to make room, and that would've cut further into Robison's snaps. There was no point keeping him on the team as a healthy scratch.

I wonder if he'll end up in Detroit or Oakland. They could use him. I bet Gruden would love him. 

I always liked Robison. Sucks to see him go. Like Kyle Rudolph, a chill guy with a great personality who no one seemed to notice unless he made a big play. I loved his 96 Questions segment as well. A toast to B-Rob for a strong and underrated career with the Vikings!

Archived