The un-HYPEd Thread

haveyoumetdustin

29 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

We’ll have more than 20m in cap room either way once we cut the players who shouldn’t be here. I don’t think it’s a financial decision by the Glazers to sit Winston. 

Worst case scenario, they’re out of pocket by 20m and don’t have a franchise QB, best case Winston puts something decent on film and either earns himself another shot, or attracts trade offers.

If there is no question he is going to be around why is he sitting? Glazers showing future coaches they don't interfere? Winston is nowhere close to being a finished product or close to what anyone who believes in him should want him to be at year four of being a pro. If Dirk is the only reason why he is losing valuable reps in practice and game action than the organization has problems all way up to the top.

I think people seem to be forgetting is Winston has a ton of issues off the field and has already let this franchise down once. Teams like Pittsburgh have been lenient if those players are elite. Do I agree with that ? No.

winston has been pure scum and idiotic off the field. And is horrible on it. I see no reason to keep him. 

Nick Foles , teddy bridge water and joe Flacco are all better options. 

The problem with Winston is that if the they put him in and he turns it around for a few games like he did last year, we are in the point of do we give him a contract like Bortles to see if he has turned it around? The problem really comes into play is if it was a fluke, which the end of last year seems to be like, we are now 1-2 years behind in a rebuild.  The only people that know what's gonna happen is the Glazers and that should have everyone that's a Buc's fan scared.

8 minutes ago, deuces22wild said:

If there is no question he is going to be around why is he sitting? Glazers showing future coaches they don't interfere? Winston is nowhere close to being a finished product or close to what anyone who believes in him should want him to be at year four of being a pro. If Dirk is the only reason why he is losing valuable reps in practice and game action than the organization has problems all way up to the top.

It would make sense if the Glazers weren’t interfering. I can’t think of any example where the Glazers interfered with who the starters were in any of their sports teams, let alone the Bucs.

I agree that Winston isn’t anywhere near where he should be. We don’t know how they split the reps in practice though, so Winston could still be getting the most reps, albeit against second/ third team.

I get the impression Winston has some mental issues going on. He looks anxious and seems to panic during games, particularly in the Cincinnati game. He has to get on top of that before he can be an effective starter, so that could be another reason why he continues to sit when it makes no sense to continue with Fitz.

7 minutes ago, YoungBucs15 said:

The problem with Winston is that if the they put him in and he turns it around for a few games like he did last year, we are in the point of do we give him a contract like Bortles to see if he has turned it around? The problem really comes into play is if it was a fluke, which the end of last year seems to be like, we are now 1-2 years behind in a rebuild.  The only people that know what's gonna happen is the Glazers and that should have everyone that's a Buc's fan scared.

What was so good about Winston at the end of last year ? He beat the saints on a lucky throw to Godwin. Prior to that he was awful with the exception of Atlanta on MNf. That was it. He had like 12 TOs in 4-5 games lol. 

Thinking about it. Teams love to game plan for Winston bc he will give them a few gifts maybe more per game. 

If the glazers state in the HC interviews that Winston has to be their guy they’re looking at mediocre to dumpster fires every year. 

10 minutes ago, YoungBucs15 said:

At best, I think he’d get another shot next year under the new coaching staff if he came in and had a few solid games.

His second contract (or lack of) would then be based entirely on his performance next season.

1 minute ago, Buc Ball said:

It would make sense if the Glazers weren’t interfering. I can’t think of any example where the Glazers interfered with who the starters were in any of their sports teams, let alone the Bucs.

I agree that Winston isn’t anywhere near where he should be. We don’t know how they split the reps in practice though, so Winston could still be getting the most reps, albeit against second/ third team.

I get the impression Winston has some mental issues going on. He looks anxious and seems to panic during games, particularly in the Cincinnati game. He has to get on top of that before he can be an effective starter, so that could be another reason why he continues to sit when it makes no sense to continue with Fitz.

If Winston is the guy I agree Fitz has no business starting anymore games this year. If now mental issues are a problem there's even more reason for concern. The mental part was supposed to be where he was a step ahead. I don't believe the garbage that was put out weeks ago how he was pressing to make plays like Fitz was doing. If in year four he is worried about trying to keep up with a late 30 year old journeyman QB... oh boy!

1 minute ago, deuces22wild said:

If Winston is the guy I agree Fitz has no business starting anymore games this year. If now mental issues are a problem there's even more reason for concern. The mental part was supposed to be where he was a step ahead. I don't believe the garbage that was put out weeks ago how he was pressing to make plays like Fitz was doing. If in year four he is worried about trying to keep up with a late 30 year old journeyman QB... oh boy!

Agreed.

I think he was just anxious to make plays and put too much pressure on himself. That’s not good enough for a professional athlete tbh. You’d expect him to have a higher EQ in year 4.

His quote about it being a minor set back for a major comeback concerned me as well. Another sign that he’s putting too much pressure on himself and hasn’t got that side of it down yet.

I've had the Winston sigs, had him in fantasy football and want/wanted him to succeed. I don't want to come across as me being a downer at this point I have just seen enough. There is no other Qb that is fine. I would rather go the Jags route and rock out at every other position. Go back to the buc ball I remember in the 90's. Have that all set and if we stumble on a Qb either by developing him through a dp or go the Teddy B route by grabbing a "underachiever" with potential that won't break the bank.

38 minutes ago, YoungBucs15 said:

No. We have no reason to pay him anything more than his tag.

29 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

What was so good about Winston at the end of last year ? He beat the saints on a lucky throw to Godwin. Prior to that he was awful with the exception of Atlanta on MNf. That was it. He had like 12 TOs in 4-5 games lol. 

Thinking about it. Teams love to game plan for Winston bc he will give them a few gifts maybe more per game. 

If the glazers state in the HC interviews that Winston has to be their guy they’re looking at mediocre to dumpster fires every year. 

Again, I have moved on past Winston and feel like it's time for him to find a new home as it's best for us and him. 

However if he string together a set of games in meaningless football it will force the Glazers to be in a position to play him or keep him another year,  He had probably had his best 4 game stretch before that win in NO where he had that 3 int game, so in those 4 games he went 8 td's / 2 ints, worse part is the fumbles, 7. But when it came to passing he avg around 300 with a cmp% between 65 to 77 and we ended up losing all of those games by a combined 15 points, and don't forget how many of those games we were in position to win until the defense collapsed in the 4th.  So what my point is he gave glimpses what he could be as a passer, and passer only.  

So the point being is that if as a group of fans we want them to be completely done with Winston is for him to be done taking any snaps so he can't give anymore false hope and trick the Glazers into playing beyond this season.     

11 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

No. We have no reason to pay him anything more than his tag.

I just mean giving him an extension that puts us at a lower yearly salary than the 20.9 million he has coming and an extension that allows us out after the next year. 

Bortles was gonna get 19m for his 5th year, instead signed an extension for about 18m a year and i'm sure the Jags have the ability to cut without losing much.  Especially the way we give contracts without signing bonuses.  

Keeping in mind this is if the Glazers force the next HC to keep Winston.

Archived