Which Of These Are Examples Of Collusion?

the lone star

So my league doesn't have any hard anti-collusion rules, but I thought I would ask about these scenarios anyway. Please let me know which ones you think, if any, are examples of collusion.

Scenario 1: Team A trades players to Team B and they agree to split any earnings.

Scenario 2: Team C trades star players to Team D, but it is for what the league has determined as fair-market value. There is no agreement to split earnings, but Team C wants to trade to Team D because he dislikes the other owners in the league and wants to make things tougher for them.

Scenario 3: Team E agrees to not enter into trade talks that Team F is involved in, because Teams E and F have a close personal bond. Likewise, Team F agrees to not enter into trade talks if Team E is involved, but Team G wants to hear bids from all interested teams.

Scenario 4: Team H agrees to trade a certain package of draft picks to Team I, if Team I beats Team H in their matchup that week. The trade would still be for fair-market-value though. Also assume that teams have been able to make low-stakes bets like this in the past, but this particular instance definitely raises the stakes. No rule against bets though.

Scenario 5: Team J makes a bid on a free agent. Team J cannot increase his own bid on the player, so he asks Team K to increase the bid, so that Team J can come in after him and bid the player up again to the price that he wants. Team J is successful in doing this.

Scenario 6: The commissioner sends out mass texts to everyone in the league telling them to increase the bid on a star free agent. The commissioner is successful in doing this.

Please discuss below. Thanks

Do you play fantasy football with known criminals or just have an incredibly shady family? lol

Scenario 1: Is not cool, I 1000% absolutely hate stuff like that and its the first thing I think of when I see a lopsided trade made between best friends

Scenario 2: I dont think there is an issue. If the league as a whole has deemed it to be a fair trade than the reason the person did it doesn't matter. He might think it screws someone else but if the other person gave fair value for the superstar than its a fair trade. 

Scenario 3: What is the problem there? I applaud Team E & F for not trading if they are concerned with any trade being perceived as collusion. Team G can trade with whoever they want. If Team E & F are interested they should send in offers. I'm so confused what the issue is here.

Scenario 4: If the trade is FMV then who cares? 

12 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Do you play fantasy football with known criminals or just have an incredibly shady family? lol

He's really a commissioner bot who has been built by aliens to infiltrate ESPN's mainframe and police their fantasy football leagues... Who also gets really confused and has to ask random strangers philosophical and hypothetical questions to determine if his own consiousness is real or simply a computer simulation designed to determine how ethical and moral the human race has become so that the aliens know whether or not they should include us in their golden society ... a society they call.. @the lone star

On 10/14/2018 at 2:28 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Scenario 1: Is not cool, I 1000% absolutely hate stuff like that and its the first thing I think of when I see a lopsided trade made between best friends

Scenario 2: I dont think there is an issue. If the league as a whole has deemed it to be a fair trade than the reason the person did it doesn't matter. He might think it screws someone else but if the other person gave fair value for the superstar than its a fair trade. 

Scenario 3: What is the problem there? I applaud Team E & F for not trading if they are concerned with any trade being perceived as collusion. Team G can trade with whoever they want. If Team E & F are interested they should send in offers. I'm so confused what the issue is here.

I agree with 1, 2, and 4. Let me clarify with #3. E & F aren't suspecting collusion, instead, they are having separate talks with G and once E and F found out they were both in talks, one of them dropped out, leaving G with only one person to talk to. G tries to engage the team that dropped out of talks, but that team will not commence talks until the other team has dropped out. This consistently happens across the board because E & F are family.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:50 AM, N4L said:

He's really a commissioner bot who has been built by aliens to infiltrate ESPN's mainframe and police their fantasy football leagues... Who also gets really confused and has to ask random strangers philosophical and hypothetical questions to determine if his own consiousness is real or simply a computer simulation designed to determine how ethical and moral the human race has become so that the aliens know whether or not they should include us in their golden society ... a society they call.. @the lone star

lol thanks. It's good to know stuff like this though because I want to commish a dynasty league of my own, and people get creative. Well that and I have had TERRIBLE commishes in the past.

On 10/14/2018 at 2:28 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I added 2 other scenarios just now if you want to check them out. 
Same goes to you @N4L

1 hour ago, the lone star said:

I agree with 1, 2, and 4. Let me clarify with #3. E & F aren't suspecting collusion, instead, they are having separate talks with G and once E and F found out they were both in talks, one of them dropped out, leaving G with only one person to talk to. G tries to engage the team that dropped out of talks, but that team will not commence talks until the other team has dropped out. This consistently happens across the board because E & F are family.

Doesnt matter. E & F aren't doing anything wrong, they aren't hurting the league at all. They dont want to get into a bidding war with each other

On 10/14/2018 at 3:04 PM, the lone star said:
So my league doesn't have any hard anti-collusion rules, but I thought I would ask about these scenarios anyway. Please let me know which ones you think, if any, are examples of collusion.

Scenario 1: Team A trades players to Team B and they agree to split any earnings.

Scenario 2: Team C trades star players to Team D, but it is for what the league has determined as fair-market value. There is no agreement to split earnings, but Team C wants to trade to Team D because he dislikes the other owners in the league and wants to make things tougher for them.

Scenario 3: Team E agrees to not enter into trade talks that Team F is involved in, because Teams E and F have a close personal bond. Likewise, Team F agrees to not enter into trade talks if Team E is involved, but Team G wants to hear bids from all interested teams.

Scenario 4: Team H agrees to trade a certain package of draft picks to Team I, if Team I beats Team H in their matchup that week. The trade would still be for fair-market-value though. Also assume that teams have been able to make low-stakes bets like this in the past, but this particular instance definitely raises the stakes. No rule against bets though.

Scenario 5: Team J makes a bid on a free agent. Team J cannot increase his own bid on the player, so he asks Team K to increase the bid, so that Team J can come in after him and bid the player up again to the price that he wants. Team J is successful in doing this.

Scenario 6: The commissioner sends out mass texts to everyone in the league telling them to increase the bid on a star free agent. The commissioner is successful in doing this.

Please discuss below. Thanks

I have no clue why scenario 5 even exists...

Scenario 6 is dumb

I tend to agree with you all. I think Scenario 6 is just a bad commish though, lol.

Scenario 5 is interesting to me though because in a sense, yeah, it is collusive cooperation, but on the other hand, I would also argue that scenario 3 is also collusive cooperation to diminish another owner's leverage in trade talks.

With that said, I think I'd for sure ban 1, and try to discourage the rest.

Archived