Hypothetical

Kiwibrown

3 elite corners or 3 elite pass rushers   

36 members have voted

1. 1. Pass rushers vs corners

Give me the pass rushers. People give the Rams crap about their run defense and secondary, but we have the best pass rusher in the NFL in Donald. He wrecks offenses. He makes everyone around him better as we saw with Ebukam on MNF against the Chiefs. At the end of the day when it comes down to making that key play in the game a pass rusher is more likely to make it than a cornerback. If you give me three pass rushers like a Donald or a Mack or a Bosa, I feel bad for the opposing QB. Plus as Bill Polian once said, its harder to find a big man who can rush the passer. If you find those guys you are in great shape. Even in the draft, nobody is taking an elite cornerback over an elite pass rusher. 

On 01/12/2018 at 2:42 PM, stl4life07 said:

Give me the pass rushers. People give the Rams crap about their run defense and secondary, but we have the best pass rusher in the NFL in Donald. He wrecks offenses. He makes everyone around him better as we saw with Ebukam on MNF against the Chiefs. At the end of the day when it comes down to making that key play in the game a pass rusher is more likely to make it than a cornerback. If you give me three pass rushers like a Donald or a Mack or a Bosa, I feel bad for the opposing QB. Plus as Bill Polian once said, its harder to find a big man who can rush the passer. If you find those guys you are in great shape. Even in the draft, nobody is taking an elite cornerback over an elite pass rusher. 

Equally, if you have 3 lockdown corners, it will make your pass rush seem great. The QB will be holding on to the ball, whilst shuffling like a headless chicken - plenty of time for even mediocre pass rushers to get there. I don't think there's a right answer here, but I see games like GB vs SEA when Sherman was elite, and Rodgers flat out refusing to throw to his side. Imagine if all 3 thirds of the field have someone like Sherman in. You can quick-pass to negate pass rushers. In today's NFL - if you can't throw downfield, you're probably toast.

Pass rushers are more valuable, but their average run defense will be more significant than the CBs’ run D. Still would go with the pass rushers, unless the 3 CBs I’m getting are like prime Revis’ or something. 

I think a more interesting debate would be 3 elite pass rushers vs 3 elite players, one at every level of the D (DL, LB, DB).

Depends on what kind of offense I have tbh.

If I have a good offense that can consistently take a 2-score lead and make the other team one-dimensional passing, I go with the DL and let my average corners play zone and go for picks, sacks, and fumbles.

If I have a middling offense that scores an average amount of points and I have to focus on playing shutdown defense with a small lead, I take the shutdown CBs. With a small lead or playing from behind you don't have the luxury of giving up cheap yards and calling a field goal a win. You have to contest every single play.

Archived