Week 8 GDT

SBLIII

I did not initially see the game but I have heard all of the details that everyone else has heard about and I rewatched the end of the Packers and Rams game and let me tell you right now if I were a general manager or a head coach in the NFL in Ty Montgomery was on my team he would be cut in mediately. I get it in the right situation he can be a playmaker but he is not so good that he should be trusted to go Rogue and make decisions on his own like he did in Sunday's game. The NFC North is in one hell of a foot race and Ty Montgomery very well could have put the Green Bay Packers behind the 8-ball because he wanted to throw a hissy fit and prove that he is his own man or whatever he was trying to accomplish

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Fifth play: Look at the holes he has to choose from lol he doesn't get touched until he's 7 yards downfield, at which point he just tucks his head and goes down.

Watch the way he presses the LOS, cuts back when Whitworth falls off his block, and then cuts behind his blockers to pick up extra yardage.

9: again he has a gaping hole to run through and isn't touched before he gets to the first down marker.

Yet again, this is where you ignore the skill that great HBs have. Watch Gurley's technical skill on this play. Watch the Packers LBs all get pinned outside because of the way Gurley presses the LOS and then cuts back. Watch Jermaine Whitehead also get pinned inside due to the way Gurley attacked this play. Instead of having to break two tackles, Gurley baited two guys into running themselves into spots where his blockers could seal them. That's even better than a broken tackle.

10: blatant block in the back by his WR (Cooks) to allow him to get to the outside on Kevin King, but a great job to get outside and get to the marker to move the chains

That was more holding than block in the back. He was to the side of the defender. I actually mentioned in the game thread that we were lucky to not get flagged there.

11: reception with nobody in front of him for an easy jog into the endzone

He also eliminated an angle with his speed.

13: huge hole to the left and nobody touches him until Martinez tries to arm tackle coming off a block, which brings him down.

Watch Martinez and Whitehead. Martinez has to stay inside because Gurley has been burning him by pressing the LOS and then cutting back. Whitehead is frozen by Gurley feinting outside and is easily blocked because of it. Gurley runs through Martinez's arm tackle when Martinez finally commits and picks up a couple yards after contact. Again, you continue to underestimate skill. Martinez can't fill the hole and stop it for a short gain because he doesn't want to get burned again by Gurley cutting back. It's forcing him to play a step slower in the running game.

15: huge hole again after the Packers try to all out blitz and all over pursue, leading Gurley to run free up the middle until he's finally touched by 21 and he brings him down 

I guess we're going to ignore the cut he makes to prevent the DL from blowing it up in the backfield as well as his instant acceleration after the cut to split those two defenders who could have easily stopped a slower HB for a shot gain.

I think you're ignoring the teamwork on these plays. The OL makes it look easy partially because they're good and partially because Gurley is moving defenders to spots where his blockers are able to easily climb to the second level and block them. That's what great HBs do. They don't break tackles when they can set defenders up to be blocked.

48 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I did not initially see the game but I have heard all of the details that everyone else has heard about and I rewatched the end of the Packers and Rams game and let me tell you right now if I were a general manager or a head coach in the NFL in Ty Montgomery was on my team he would be cut in mediately.

You aren't an NFL GM, you didn't see the game, you don't have all the info and you're still jerking your knee ? That's awesome !
You should post on a message board, you'd be perfect for that role.

36 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

You aren't an NFL GM, you didn't see the game, you don't have all the info and you're still jerking your knee ? That's awesome !
You should post on a message board, you'd be perfect for that role.

Youre right. But i did see enough of the game, I do know as a whole the Packers didnt play great. This wasnt the sole reason they lost, but it was the ultimate selfish act by a player who was apparently specifically told to kneel in the endzone. Its not knee jerk at all.

Archived