Week 8 GDT

SBLIII

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Broken tackles really aren't that an important of a stat. But now I see why you're on this. You mistake broken tackles for creating. You ignore the important role that skill and instincts play. I don't think you fully understand the synergy between the HB and his OL. You leaving the implication out there that different HBs will do equally well with the same blocking unless one guy is a better tackle-breaker than the other.

He was into the secondary before anyone had a shot at him. It's quite typical for HBs to make that guy miss or slip that tackle. But some HBs are fast enough to just eliminate the angle. A HB who is fast enough to eliminate the angle isn't worse than a HB who isn't.

A broken tackle is a broken tackle no matter how it's created. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination saying Todd Gurley wouldn't have made that same play, I was just using it as a highlight to why I consider putting some weight into broken tackles when examining how good RB's are and the kind of season they're having.

I am certainly ignoring vision and the role it plays into seeing the hole, shooting the hole and getting what's there, but there are plenty of RB's out there who have good vision and can take what the OL gives you (Justin Forsett is probably the best example of this), but not much more. That's really what I've seen from Gurley this year (especially yesterday) and primarily why I'm hesitant to put him onto LaDanian Tomlinson's level all-time, or even Saquon Barkley's level this year as a runner. As an overall RB, he adds much more dynamic ability in the passing game than Barkley does and that's where I think he gets closer (though still not on the same level) to Tomlinson.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

A broken tackle is a broken tackle no matter how it's created. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination saying Todd Gurley wouldn't have made that same play, I was just using it as a highlight to why I consider putting some weight into broken tackles when examining how good RB's are and the kind of season they're having.

I am certainly ignoring vision and the role it plays into seeing the hole, shooting the hole and getting what's there, but there are plenty of RB's out there who have good vision and can take what the OL gives you (Justin Forsett is probably the best example of this), but not much more. That's really what I've seen from Gurley this year (especially yesterday) and primarily why I'm hesitant to put him onto LaDanian Tomlinson's level all-time, or even Saquon Barkley's level this year as a runner. As an overall RB, he adds much more dynamic ability in the passing game than Barkley does and that's where I think he gets closer (though still not on the same level) to Tomlinson.

Well, I don't think your observations are accurate.

46 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Eh, no, not really.

Really? Here is every Todd Gurley touch from yesterday:

Todd Gurley right end for 7 yards (tackle by Kevin King)
Todd Gurley right tackle for 1 yard (tackle by Nick Perry and Kenny Clark)
Todd Gurley right tackle for 2 yards (tackle by Dean Lowry and Mike Daniels)
Todd Gurley right guard for 4 yards (tackle by Clay Matthews)
Todd Gurley right tackle for 4 yards (tackle by Nick Perry and Blake Martinez)
Jared Goff pass complete short right to Todd Gurley for 6 yards (tackle by Blake Martinez)
Jared Goff pass complete short right to Todd Gurley for 1 yard (tackle by Blake Martinez)
Todd Gurley right tackle for 2 yards (tackle by Kenny Clark)
Todd Gurley left guard for 7 yards (tackle by Jermaine Whitehead and Montravius Adams)
Todd Gurley right tackle for -2 yards (tackle by Blake Martinez)
Jared Goff pass incomplete short left intended for Todd Gurley
Todd Gurley left guard for 5 yards (tackle by Jermaine Whitehead)
Todd Gurley right tackle for no gain (tackle by Blake Martinez and Kyler Fackrell)
Todd Gurley left tackle for 2 yards (tackle by Mike Daniels and Nick Perry)
Jared Goff pass complete short left to Todd Gurley for 10 yards (tackle by Jermaine Whitehead)
Jared Goff pass complete deep left to Todd Gurley for 32 yards (tackle by Jermaine Whitehead)
Todd Gurley middle for 2 yards (tackle by Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Blake Martinez)
Todd Gurley middle for no gain (tackle by Kenny Clark and Blake Martinez)
Two Point Attempt: Todd Gurley middle conversion fails
Todd Gurley left tackle for 11 yards (tackle by Kevin King)
Todd Gurley right end for 5 yards (tackle by Oren Burks)
Jared Goff pass complete short middle to Todd Gurley for 30 yards touchdown
Two Point Attempt: Jared Goff pass complete to Todd Gurley conversion succeeds
Todd Gurley left tackle for 8 yards (tackle by Blake Martinez)
Todd Gurley right tackle for no gain (tackle by Clay Matthews)
Todd Gurley right end for -1 yards (tackle by Reggie Gilbert)
Jared Goff pass complete short middle to Todd Gurley for 2 yards (tackle by Blake Martinez)
Todd Gurley left guard for 8 yards (tackle by Dean Lowry). Penalty on Kenny Clark: Defensive Holding 5 yards
Todd Gurley left tackle for 23 yards (tackle by Jaire Alexander)
Todd Gurley left guard for no gain (tackle by Mike Daniels)
Todd Gurley left guard for 4 yards (tackle by Reggie Gilbert)
Todd Gurley middle for 3 yards (tackle by Clay Matthews)
Todd Gurley left guard for 2 yards (tackle by Clay Matthews)

Todd Gurley left end for 17 yards (tackle by Tramon Williams)

Here is Todd Gurley's highlights vs. the Packers (I've bolded the plays above that are in the video):

First play: Great jump cut by Todd Gurley in the hole to make #29(?) miss. That's a broken tackle and a fantastic play by Gurley

Second play: Gets what the OL gives him

Third play: Gets what the OL gives him

Fifth play: Look at the holes he has to choose from lol he doesn't get touched until he's 7 yards downfield, at which point he just tucks his head and goes down.

sixth play: Same thing, no defenders within 5 yards of the ball but the safety easily brings him down in the open field.

seventh play: reception

8: reception

9: again he has a gaping hole to run through and isn't touched before he gets to the first down marker.

10: blatant block in the back by his WR (Cooks) to allow him to get to the outside on Kevin King, but a great job to get outside and get to the marker to move the chains

11: reception with nobody in front of him for an easy jog into the endzone

12: 2pt conversion catch

13: huge hole to the left and nobody touches him until Martinez tries to arm tackle coming off a block, which brings him down.

14: This is a play where vision is key and Gurley demonstrates vision and patience. Finds the hole late and plunges ahead after his OL creates an easy 2-3 yards of space.

15: huge hole again after the Packers try to all out blitz and all over pursue, leading Gurley to run free up the middle until he's finally touched by 21 and he brings him down 

16: gets what the OL gives

17: Toss play. There's literally nobody in front of Gurley and he easily jogs past the first down to end the game.

Let me know your thoughts of where I'm off-base here. One thing that jumped out at me again after watching this was how often LAR ran the same kind of zone play with a backside TE sealing off the defender. Saw that play at least 5 times going through this. But overall, aside from the first play and maybe 2 others I didn't see anything overly impressive from Gurley as a runner in this particular game.

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

That is gonna be a good game - not sure if it's Primetime, but it should be.

Seriously, it should be prime time.  Can't really flex the SNF game because it's Packers vs Patriots.  It looks like Rams vs Saints is the only FOX game, so hopefully most people can get it.  The Seahawks are playing during that time, though, so that sucks.  I'm going to try to watch both games haha.

Archived