NBA Draft Thread: NO trades 4 to ATL (8/17/35)

NYRaider

3 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

If he does poorly in school next year he’ll be a second rounder and not have an NBA career. If he still has lottery stock this year it’d be crazy to stay.

It's more about sticking around in the league than getting there. Coming back would allow him to get stronger and improve his game. Next years draft class is shaping up to be one of the worst in recent history, with a good sophomore season he'd be a top 5 pick and more NBA ready. Again, it won't ever happen, but he's not ready for the league right now and will likely spend a lot of time in the D-League next year. 

The only way he'd go in the 2nd round next year would be because of a major injury. Reddish has a ton of tools, someone will take him in the lottery this year or next year. The NBA draft is about upside, not a players current body of work.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

It's more about sticking around in the league than getting there. Coming back would allow him to get stronger and improve his game. Next years draft class is shaping up to be one of the worst in recent history, with a good sophomore season he'd be a top 5 pick and more NBA ready. Again, it won't ever happen, but he's not ready for the league right now and will likely spend a lot of time in the D-League next year. 

The only way he'd go in the 2nd round next year would be because of a major injury. Reddish has a ton of tools, someone will take him in the lottery this year or next year. The NBA draft is about upside, not a players current body of work.

He probably doesn’t want to end up like Ivan Rabb.

If Cam is actually gonna be a lotto pick, and most draft guys still have him top 5, it's a no brainer to declare and he should thank the stars while doing it. Only thing that would get him drafted this high right now is potential, and that "potential" loses its' value every year. The reward of staying at Duke is not worth the risk. Sure he could become a top 3 pick if he plays up to his hype, but if it's more of the same, no real improvements and same efficiency, he would fall way out of the lotto and be no better a prospect than Skal as far as I'm concerned, nothing more than a guy who looks the part and has everything you need on paper, but just hasn't shown to be good at basketball. This year he can at least hide behind the excuse of being a poor fit, not meant to be 3rd option, can't show his skills, etc. 

2 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

He probably doesn’t want to end up like Ivan Rabb.

Ivan Rabb was a big man that couldn't shoot and didn't block shots. Wings with Cam's upside and skill set are in high demand right now. As I said before it's not about getting to the league, it's about sticking around. The rookie contract is going to be roughly the same because of the pay scale but the second contract is what matters. 

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

If Cam is actually gonna be a lotto pick, and most draft guys still have him top 5, it's a no brainer to declare and he should thank the stars while doing it. Only thing that would get him drafted this high right now is potential, and that "potential" loses its' value every year. The reward of staying at Duke is not worth the risk. Sure he could become a top 3 pick if he plays up to his hype, but if it's more of the same, no real improvements and same efficiency, he would fall way out of the lotto and be no better a prospect than Skal as far as I'm concerned, nothing more than a guy who looks the part and has everything you need on paper, but just hasn't shown to be good at basketball. This year he can at least hide behind the excuse of being a poor fit, not meant to be 3rd option, can't show his skills, etc. 

Skal averaged 6 ppg as a freshman at Kentucky and looked terrible. Again, he was another big man that couldn't space the floor and didn't block shots. Those types of players aren't exactly in high demand right now. Cam Reddish's skill set is what the league is looking for right now as a 6'8" lengthy kid that can spread the floor and switch defensively. Again, it's not just about getting to the league it's about sticking around long enough to get a nice second contract. Obviously Reddish isn't coming back to school but taking out a nice insurance policy and returning to Duke to work on his game in a bigger role would be a positive for his career. 

21 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

If Memphis doesn't get #1 and keeps their pick, I hope they trade down.

RJ Barrett would be a nice piece for you guys. He's going to be a 20+ ppg guy very early in his career and is a solid defender. If you move back Darius Garland would be a nice pick up too, people are sleeping on him but he would've likely been a top 7 pick if he was healthy this year.

21 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Skal averaged 6 ppg as a freshman at Kentucky and looked terrible. Again, he was another big man that couldn't space the floor and didn't block shots. Those types of players aren't exactly in high demand right now. Cam Reddish's skill set is what the league is looking for right now as a 6'8" lengthy kid that can spread the floor and switch defensively. Again, it's not just about getting to the league it's about sticking around long enough to get a nice second contract. Obviously Reddish isn't coming back to school but taking out a nice insurance policy and returning to Duke to work on his game in a bigger role would be a positive for his career. 

Not sure what you're talking about, Skal is exactly what the NBA was looking for on paper and in high demand. He could absolutely space the floor, his mid range jumper was about the only way he was getting points by the end of the year, and he did block shots (4.2 blocks per 40 minutes). Cam obviously hasn't been as bad as Skal, which is why he won't slide to the end of the 1st either, but as #2 recruits they both were not very good college basketball players. Had Skal been a nobody out of HS, he wouldn't have been drafted (or entered draft), and I would guess the same goes for Cam, who has really done nothing but be 6'8 to suggest he is an NBA player.

Let's not forget Cam shoots about the same % from 3 as Ja Morant, who apparently cannot shoot.

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Not sure what you're talking about, Skal is exactly what the NBA was looking for on paper and in high demand. He could absolutely space the floor, his mid range jumper was about the only way he was getting points by the end of the year, and he did block shots (4.2 blocks per 40 minutes). Cam obviously hasn't been as bad as Skal, which is why he won't slide to the end of the 1st either, but as #2 recruits they both were not very good college basketball players. Had Skal been a nobody out of HS, he wouldn't have been drafted (or entered draft), and I would guess the same goes for Cam, who has really done nothing but be 6'8 to suggest he is an NBA player.

Let's not forget Cam shoots about the same % from 3 as Ja Morant, who apparently cannot shoot.

Skal was a decent mid-range shooter in college but didn't have much range on his jumper. His shot blocking wasn't that impressive in college and didn't translate to the league. Reddish has flashed throughout the year but just hasn't been consistent enough especially with his jumper. 

As I said, it's not just about getting to the league, it's about sticking around. You see a lot of these multi-year kids getting 2nd and 3rd contracts and a lot of these kids that left to early getting bounced out of the league after a few years. 

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Coby White continues to rise up the boards. He's getting top 10 buzz now.

He or Garland are who I want Memphis to end up with if they don't get #1. If Memphis ends up at #2, I'd love to trade down with Atlanta to get in their range.

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

RJ Barrett would be a nice piece for you guys. He's going to be a 20+ ppg guy very early in his career and is a solid defender. If you move back Darius Garland would be a nice pick up too, people are sleeping on him but he would've likely been a top 7 pick if he was healthy this year.

I'm just not a huge Barrett fan. I've become much more of a Williamson believer after watching him in the ACC Tourney, but no thanks on Barrett and kill me if Memphis takes Reddish.

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I'm just not a huge Barrett fan. I've become much more of a Williamson believer after watching him in the ACC Tourney, but no thanks on Barrett and kill me if Memphis takes Reddish.

Barrett is very good and will be a good pro. He's scoring at an elite level with a meh 3 point jumper, if he ever improves there he'll be a great scorer at the next level. One thing about him is that he's going to put the work in and will work with the best trainers/players in the world to improve. His dad runs Canadian basketball and Steve Nash is his godfather, they're grooming him to be the face of their program. 

Archived