THE QUEST FOR THE DC/OC Beginneth!

MistaBohmbastic

1 minute ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Sounding more and more like the Jets won't let him escape New York. 

Please, dear Lord, that this be thy will and that thy will be done.

By accident it appears that for once in my life I have been completely politically correct!:)

3 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

I need to see what eberflus does against the Chiefs and patriots before I say anything. If they get blown out then I’m going to say no he’s not in my top 3 but he’ll jump up if he shuts them out 

If the Colts defense holds them to 20 points he can't be hired, but if they can hold them to 17 points he should not only get immediately hired, but he should be given full control over the 53.

13 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Sounding more and more like the Jets won't let him escape New York. 

They've grounded all of their team mascots so McCarthy has no ride out of the city unless he doesn't mind taking an Amtrak.

Sad thing is people in the business think those reports are just him and his agent angling for more control and being able to "name his power/price" when he does arrive in Cleveland for the interview.

Let's hope you're right.

If not, he's going to be our HC man ... and I'm not excited. Good coach though.

17 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Could be a trap set to snare McCarthy.

Still have a nagging concern that Dorsey will default to who he knows best.

I don't know bruce ... it's not looking good .... just start preparing yourself now for the McCarthy era.

The thing to hope for is for Freddie Kitchens and even possibly even Ken Zampese to be retained so that they can continue the good work with Baker and McCarthy could focus on leading the team.

9 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

If the Colts defense holds them to 20 points he can't be hired, but if they can hold them to 17 points he should not only get immediately hired, but he should be given full control over the 53.

Sure sounded something like that.

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

Sad thing is people in the business think those reports are just him and his agent angling for more control and being able to "name his power/price" when he does arrive in Cleveland for the interview.

Let's hope you're right.

If not, he's going to be our HC man ... and I'm not excited. Good coach though.

I definitely thought that was a possibility. The inverse is also plausible...he rescheduled his meeting with Cleveland because it was only going to be a formality.

No one knows for certain, but the optimism from Allbright is not unusual to situations that typically come true. I can recall one time he was wrong, and he wasn't technically even wrong lol...

What gives you this inkling that McCarthy will undoubtedly be the guy? BIL?

14 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

I really would not mind McCarthy if it’s in his contract he can’t call plays again unless the OC suddenly dies on the field. 

I would.

He had success in GB until he didn't and still is a retread.

11 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I would.

He had success in GB until he didn't and still is a retread.

He stopped having success because he didn’t have great talent around Arod and his play calling got stagnant. But if he has a talented team and isn’t calling plays he’s a pretty good hire 

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Getting the GB band back together.

I'm just not sold on it. I think there's certain philosophical conflicts that will cause the offense to clash. We've heard player interviews from the TE's he's coached who said they are so underappreciated in his offense. We've heard countless times how he runs the ball less than any other offense in football. We know he has clock management issues. Aaron Rodgers frequently audibled out of his plays, so we don't truly know how great he could be with Baker, but there's plenty of reason to have concerns. The TE is Baker's best friend...and I cannot stand to see another game where Chubb and Duke both go to waste...that's just SO Haley '18.

48 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

I really would not mind McCarthy if it’s in his contract he can’t call plays again unless the OC suddenly dies on the field. 

Yeah I think this is the dealbreaker. We do know that his former players who currently play here (Tretter and Randall) both admired him as a HC. 

Is he the kind of guy who would retain Kitchens?

Either way, if the Browns truly valued McCarthy, either his mind was already made up, or the Browns don't value him as much as some here think (*COUGH* @Mind Character *COUGH*) if the Browns were "willing" to re-schedule their meeting with McCarthy and let him go to New York first.

2 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I definitely thought that was a possibility. The inverse is also plausible...he rescheduled his meeting with Cleveland because it was only going to be a formality.

No one knows for certain, but the optimism from Allbright is not unusual to situations that typically come true. I can recall one time he was wrong, and he wasn't technically even wrong lol...

What gives you this inkling that McCarthy will undoubtedly be the guy? BIL?

Ben Allbright's an interesting character for sure.

Actually, my BIL has no clue as to who we're going to end up hiring only that we had aggressive back channel talks with Pat Fitzgerald and his agent a while back which even included the agent providing a potential coordinator short list. This was back when Fitzgerald was legitimately interested in exploring jobs in the Midwest.

But I did and do text him asking if the media reports about McCarthy coming here versus not have are either smoke versus fire. His response on these last few reports about the Jets were that "Mike has his sights set on one job and one job only ----- the Brownies."  That makes me think that the Jets stuff is likely smoke/angling... that is unless we're not as interested in McCarthy and have been sending him/his agent signals that he's not our prime candidate. In that case, then maybe the Jets stuff is real.

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Ben Allbright's an interesting character for sure.

Actually, my BIL has no clue as to who we're going to en up hiring only that we had aggressive back channel talks with Pat Fitzgerald and his agent a while back which even included the agent providing a potential coordinator short list. This was back when Fitzgerald was legitimately interested in exploring jobs in the Midwest.

But I did and do text him asking if the media reports about McCarthy coming here versus not have are either smoke versus fire. His response on these last few reports about the Jets were that "Mike has his sights set on one job and one job only ----- the Brownies."  That makes me think that the Jets stuff is likely smoke/angling... that is unless we're not as interested in McCarthy and have been sending him/his agent signals that he's not our prime candidate. In that case, then maybe the Jets stuff is real.

To your point, Allbright did say it was either NYJ or CLE.

There's so many possibilities within this circumstance. I think the bottom line is that we will know whether or not we will hire him by the time he interviews here, IMO. Personally, I'm hoping he doesn't interview here (meaning doesn't leave NY), but if he's unopposed to keeping Kitchens and not calling plays, I'm not extremely against it I suppose.

Archived