Marcus Mariota is this generation's Steve McNair

KingTitan

Some of you may not be old enough to truly remember what it was like when McNair was the QB of this team. He was booed and people cheered when he went out injured.  Fans were very loud on local radio, wanting Neil O'Donnell to be the starter of this team. 

The 1999 Season, McNair played in only 11 games. In those 11 games, he threw for an AMAZING 12 TDs and 8 INts. The team was powered by Eddie George, Frank Wycheck and an excellent defense. Team went 9-2 with him under center.
O'Donnell went 8-5 threw for 10 TDs and 5 Ints. Including games where he threw for 310 yards and 355 yards.  McNair's highest passing total that year was 341 in week 1.  There was a game where he threw for 114 and an INT and we still won. Fans were livid. They felt we would never win a Super Bowl, let alone make it to one, with McNair on the team.

McNair's first years as starter his record was 16-16. (20-18 if you count his red-shirt years).
Mariota's first years as a starter his record is 23-27 (20-22 if you don't count this unfinished year).

Steve McNair only played a complete season 4 times in his 13 year Career. When he did play those seasons, he was rarely at his best, often banged up.  

So when did McNair turn into the QB that a city loved? It wasn't until about 2001 (his 7th year) when people really said this is our QB. It wasn't until 2002 (8th year) that the league recognized him as a passing threat.  
McNair only amassed double digit wins 3 times as a Titan, as a starting QB. (2000-12 wins, 2002-11 wins, 2003-10 wins.)

We remember McNair for being the tough QB he was. We remember him for being a silent leader, while Eddie George was the heartbeat of the team. He only had 20 plus TDs 3 times in his career. He never cracked 3500 yards passing.
While McNair was starting QB for the Titans, he had an 1,000 yard rusher 8 times in his 11 years as a Titan.
While McNair was starting QB for the Titans, he had only once in 2000. 
While McNair was starting QB for the Titans he had 2 OC's (Les Steckel and Dinger). One HC (Fisher). 

17 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 23 Game-Winning Drives for McNair.
9 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 11 Game-Winning Drives for Mariota.

Mariota has had an 1,000 yard rusher once so far (His best season 2017, 3426 yards. 26 TDs, sacked only 23 times. 

We have a real love for McNair. We remember the winning seasons that came with those Titans teams. We forget we had a defense, an offensive line that protected him.

Fans booed him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/nfl/longterm/1999/week1/articles/cincinnatitennessee.htm

But the Titans took their fans through a gamut of emotions from boos to a standing ovation as they blew a 26-7 first-half lead with four turnovers before playing catch-up with 10 points in the fourth quarter. Steve McNair, booed after fumbling away the ball with 9:26 left, drove the Titans for 10 points in the final minutes for the victory.

McNair wasn't the golden hero many of you may remember him to be. If he was playing today, we would be ripped apart. The NFL is different now and it's a different game. However, the fact remains that our beloved QB wasn't the dominating QB we make him to be... 
This forum would have wanted him gone after the 2000 season. He is holding us back from an Super Bowl. #1 ranked defense. 12-3 record. But we have a QB that can only throw 15 TDs and 13 INTs. He misses games, he was banged up. We actually won three games that year where he failed to throw for over 100 yards. 

Marcus has played through hamstring issues, knee issues, and nerve issues. Fought back from a broken leg. We criticize him for being injured but praise McNair. 
Now if that isn't your style of QB, it makes perfect sense. If you want the Brees, Mahommes and Luck type QBs. Then you probably would have wanted the Manning, Culpepper, Farve and Warner back then. 

McNair was what he was.  He was tough QB that led by example. He benefited from a strong team around him and he was the type of QB the team needed to have levels of success then.
Mariota is what he is. He is a QB that leads by example that fights for his team and plays through injuries. He will benefit from having a more consistent team around him. Having a stronger O-line with a consistent running game. 

They style of offense both QBs were asked to play calls for at the least a strong running game and strong offensive line. We never saw McNair in an offense that looked like Manning's. Maybe he couldn't do it (like some claim Mariota can't). When we did get something that didn't rely on Eddie to carry the ball 40 times a game with Dinger we got MVP years from McNair. 

Maybe this is all gibberish to some, Maybe it's all excuses. Maybe you are thinking McNair was 100 times better than Marcus. 
This is my editorial like post that gets out the thoughts of my head. lol
I see the similarities in McNair and Mariota, mainly in how the fans view/viewed them. Nobody has booed Marcus, specifically, but on here and other outlets, it appears some feel he is the reason this team loses. 

I think Mariota will be the QB here for awhile, as we continue to add and fix parts of the team, I think we will get a better version of Mariota a more consistent version. 

Anyway....i know there will be many that will disagree and just say we should want more.  
It's just what i was thinking and felt like digging into.

Man as much as I want to believe that to be true... Offenses have such an advantage in today's NFL that you can't compare the 2 like that. If that's what we're getting, we need to look elsewhere.

I love Marcus, I really do. But sitting here watching Goff and Mahomes make these plays and throws they're making makes me believe that we can, and MUST do better at QB to be a serious and consistent contender.

Yeah the comparison just isn't there for QBs from 20 years ago. Running the ball and playing defense used to be a formula for winning. Today it's a formula for mediocrity.

McNair played when being physical and playing defense wasn't an automatic first down for the offense.

With the NFL becoming the Big 12 we can't go the distance with an inconsistent Alex Smith. He's a solid guy to hold onto until we can find someone else.

In 1999 Mariota might be a decent option.

5 hours ago, Titansfan_13 said:

Man as much as I want to believe that to be true... Offenses have such an advantage in today's NFL that you can't compare the 2 like that. If that's what we're getting, we need to look elsewhere.

I love Marcus, I really do. But sitting here watching Goff and Mahomes make these plays and throws they're making makes me believe that we can, and MUST do better at QB to be a serious and consistent contender.

Agreed .. my wife who doesn’t even really care about football even said “how come the Titans don’t look like that ?” I gave her a good chuckle and told her to move along lol.. 

but in all seriousness this game tonight really does show you how far our qb is away from these two.. it’s truely night and day and if this is what to come in the upcoming year the Titans are in for a rough future. 

2 hours ago, FutureIsWhite said:

Agreed .. my wife who doesn’t even really care about football even said “how come the Titans don’t look like that ?” I gave her a good chuckle and told her to move along lol.. 

but in all seriousness this game tonight really does show you how far our qb is away from these two.. it’s truely night and day and if this is what to come in the upcoming year the Titans are in for a rough future. 

To be fair. That waa about more than our QB. It shows how far ours along with many other franchises are from that. 

That was more than a QB. It was coaches, players, scouts, GM's. 

My opinion. Mainly coaches. 

And I agree with you all. The numbers are borderline irrelevant. It is a much different game.

I do think the general vibe is similar. The doubt about him due to play and the injuries. It's also different because Mac had a better team around him.

Not gonna get into the chicken and egg argument of if we switched QBs who would look like what.. truthfully that was an argument back then with McNair and Manning. 

Bottom line. If we want to be a better team. I think I we need to look to the past a little and surround our QB with a better team. More so a better line. 

Thanks for reading this post. Just some thoughts running through the old head. 

9 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Some of you may not be old enough to truly remember what it was like when McNair was the QB of this team. He was booed and people cheered when he went out injured.  Fans were very loud on local radio, wanting Neil O'Donnell to be the starter of this team. 

The 1999 Season, McNair played in only 11 games. In those 11 games, he threw for an AMAZING 12 TDs and 8 INts. The team was powered by Eddie George, Frank Wycheck and an excellent defense. Team went 9-2 with him under center.
O'Donnell went 8-5 threw for 10 TDs and 5 Ints. Including games where he threw for 310 yards and 355 yards.  McNair's highest passing total that year was 341 in week 1.  There was a game where he threw for 114 and an INT and we still won. Fans were livid. They felt we would never win a Super Bowl, let alone make it to one, with McNair on the team.

McNair's first years as starter his record was 16-16. (20-18 if you count his red-shirt years).
Mariota's first years as a starter his record is 23-27 (20-22 if you don't count this unfinished year).

Steve McNair only played a complete season 4 times in his 13 year Career. When he did play those seasons, he was rarely at his best, often banged up.  

So when did McNair turn into the QB that a city loved? It wasn't until about 2001 (his 7th year) when people really said this is our QB. It wasn't until 2002 (8th year) that the league recognized him as a passing threat.  
McNair only amassed double digit wins 3 times as a Titan, as a starting QB. (2000-12 wins, 2002-11 wins, 2003-10 wins.)

We remember McNair for being the tough QB he was. We remember him for being a silent leader, while Eddie George was the heartbeat of the team. He only had 20 plus TDs 3 times in his career. He never cracked 3500 yards passing.
While McNair was starting QB for the Titans, he had an 1,000 yard rusher 8 times in his 11 years as a Titan.
While McNair was starting QB for the Titans, he had only once in 2000. 
While McNair was starting QB for the Titans he had 2 OC's (Les Steckel and Dinger). One HC (Fisher). 

17 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 23 Game-Winning Drives for McNair.
9 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 11 Game-Winning Drives for Mariota.

Mariota has had an 1,000 yard rusher once so far (His best season 2017, 3426 yards. 26 TDs, sacked only 23 times. 

We have a real love for McNair. We remember the winning seasons that came with those Titans teams. We forget we had a defense, an offensive line that protected him.

Fans booed him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/nfl/longterm/1999/week1/articles/cincinnatitennessee.htm

McNair wasn't the golden hero many of you may remember him to be. If he was playing today, we would be ripped apart. The NFL is different now and it's a different game. However, the fact remains that our beloved QB wasn't the dominating QB we make him to be... 
This forum would have wanted him gone after the 2000 season. He is holding us back from an Super Bowl. #1 ranked defense. 12-3 record. But we have a QB that can only throw 15 TDs and 13 INTs. He misses games, he was banged up. We actually won three games that year where he failed to throw for over 100 yards. 

Marcus has played through hamstring issues, knee issues, and nerve issues. Fought back from a broken leg. We criticize him for being injured but praise McNair. 
Now if that isn't your style of QB, it makes perfect sense. If you want the Brees, Mahommes and Luck type QBs. Then you probably would have wanted the Manning, Culpepper, Farve and Warner back then. 

McNair was what he was.  He was tough QB that led by example. He benefited from a strong team around him and he was the type of QB the team needed to have levels of success then.
Mariota is what he is. He is a QB that leads by example that fights for his team and plays through injuries. He will benefit from having a more consistent team around him. Having a stronger O-line with a consistent running game. 

They style of offense both QBs were asked to play calls for at the least a strong running game and strong offensive line. We never saw McNair in an offense that looked like Manning's. Maybe he couldn't do it (like some claim Mariota can't). When we did get something that didn't rely on Eddie to carry the ball 40 times a game with Dinger we got MVP years from McNair. 

Maybe this is all gibberish to some, Maybe it's all excuses. Maybe you are thinking McNair was 100 times better than Marcus. 
This is my editorial like post that gets out the thoughts of my head. lol
I see the similarities in McNair and Mariota, mainly in how the fans view/viewed them. Nobody has booed Marcus, specifically, but on here and other outlets, it appears some feel he is the reason this team loses. 

I think Mariota will be the QB here for awhile, as we continue to add and fix parts of the team, I think we will get a better version of Mariota a more consistent version. 

Anyway....i know there will be many that will disagree and just say we should want more.  
It's just what i was thinking and felt like digging into.

I’ve actually been drawing parallels between their careers for the past couple of seasons, although the thought of that lightning bolt hitting twice seems like wishful thinking. 

Curious, did my comment in the “Is it time” thread trigger this post? 

13 minutes ago, ShupacTakur said:

I’ve actually been drawing parallels between their careers for the past couple of seasons, although the thought of that lightning bolt hitting twice seems like wishful thinking. 

Curious, did my comment in the “Is it time” thread trigger this post? 

Oh. Naw. It's something I mentioned in a thread a week or so ago. And thought I'd dive into it more. 

Archived