What to do with Terron Armstead, The Un-unbroken

Dome

A bold assumption to start things off. Let's assume Ryan Ramczyk starts at LT while Armstead is out. Let's assume Ramy plays well, and I don't mean well for a rookie, I mean he's a solid LT. 

When Armstead is healthy, what do you do with Ramy for the remainder of the year? Do you move him to RT and bench Strief who is a very good RT in his own right? No pun intended. Do you let Armstead keep healing and see how Ramy does under pressure with Armstead coming for his job, like Prescott and Romo? Do you try Armstead at RT?

What do you do with the oft injured Armstead moving into 2018? If we keep him for all of 2018 we can opt out of his deal with a $7.4m cap hit. What do you do with him that offseason, before the 2019 season?

Saints are in win now mode, and have been FOR THE LAST FIVE YEARS, and have proven they will make bad deals for quick fixes.

What would you need to get in return before you traded him?

If Ramy starts at LT and is looking good and Armstead is coming back healthy, I saw we ship him out for a 1st round pick.  Save some cap room, get another draft pick, and look to move forward.  Now this is if he looks good, not average.  If he looks average then I would say you evaluate where Strief is at, if he's playing as good as he did last year, you put Ramy as the backup tackle to both sides.  Armstead is a top 3 LT when healthy, the problem is he's had injury concerns the last 2 years, so if Ramy is just average but Armstead comes back healthy, put him in, let him show he's healthy and still a top 3 LT, then trade him for a 1st+ to a team that needs a LT and look to draft a franchise LT.

What if he comes back, but Ramy is playing really well? Like we nailed it with this pick. 

Do you move Armstead to RT for the season to see if that is the answer for the future? 

I think I'd rather have an injury prone RT than an injury prone LT.

That could work as well but would Armstead be able to handle being a RT?  I guess we could try it but I would just be as happy to ship Armstead out for a 1st if Ramy is looking really good at LT and look to draft a RT which can be found outside the 1st a lot easier.

"Handle" in what way? From like a health and longevity standpoint? Or a skills standpoint?

I think he'd be a fine RT from a skills standpoint, he's a very underrated run blocker and he's a smart guy too from everything I've seen, I think he could make the switch from a fundamentals perspective too. He's great out in space and having him and Warford pulling for a screen on that side would be deadly. They'd need to get him in space as often as possible as a lead blocker, like they did a lot his rookie season at LT. Use Warford and a chipping FB or TE or 2nd RB like they did with Sproles a lot to help him out if he needs to set an edge. We have the personnel to do some fun stuff this year.

7 minutes ago, Raves said:

More from a health standpoint.  I think needing to against typically stronger DE will end up putting more stress on his shoulders and cause further injury.

He tore his labrum hitting a pad.

maybe you're right. Lmao

Just now, Breesus mode said:

That would would make me consider moving him.

Ok. So what about this year?

When Armstead is healthy, what do you do with Ramy for the remainder of the year? Do you move him to RT and bench Strief who is a very good RT in his own right? No pun intended. Do you let Armstead keep healing and see how Ramy does under pressure with Armstead coming for his job, like Prescott and Romo? Do you try Armstead at RT?

Just now, Breesus mode said:

It would depend on what we could get for him if we could get a high pick and decent player in return, I'd do it.

I feel like your expectations are high.

Curious, how did you feel about the Cooks trade?

Archived