Coaching Staff News Thread (Update: Offensive staff overhaul incoming (obv))

.Buzz

18 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

The defense didn't even perform bad. It wasn't last year but it was still a top 5 unit. I don't like Wash's scheme so I'd like him gone, but he doesn't "deserve" to be fired. Maybe he should I guess if you want to for some guys being undisciplined but for pure play/production, no.

I never liked the Wash higher from the get go you had 6 pro bowlers on defense how bad can the defense actually be? Buzz you could coach 6 pro bowlers to a top 10 defense.. the problem with the organization is cool with being baseline decent as long as it isn’t buring to the damn ground it’s okay.. I’m not with it. It’s entirely too much talent on that defense who kept putting Church in there during communication break downs that kept biting us in the *** week after week Fewell? This team is still getting burned by the same bootlegs and can’t seem to figure out how to stop mobile QBs. They play great against pocket passers.. but why is your defense still getting burned by the same things that got you burned in year 1.. 0-4 against Mariota you still have yet to figure him out 0-2 this year against Watson. I don’t think they are going anywhere anytime soon you had Dak Prescott before the Amari Cooper experiment he put up 40 looking like Steve Young in his hayday stop aiding and abetting piss poor coaching call a spade a spade. 

11 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I never liked the Wash higher from the get go you had 6 pro bowlers on defense how bad can the defense actually be? Buzz you could coach 6 pro bowlers to a top 10 defense.. the problem with the organization is cool with being baseline decent as long as it isn’t buring to the damn ground it’s okay.. I’m not with it. It’s entirely too much talent on that defense who kept putting Church in there during communication break downs that kept biting us in the *** week after week Fewell? This team is still getting burned by the same bootlegs and can’t seem to figure out how to stop mobile QBs. They play great against pocket passers.. but why is your defense still getting burned by the same things that got you burned in year 1.. 0-4 against Mariota you still have yet to figure him out 0-2 this year against Watson. I don’t think they are going anywhere anytime soon you had Dak Prescott before the Amari Cooper experiment he put up 40 looking like Steve Young in his hayday stop aiding and abetting piss poor coaching call a spade a spade. 

They were #5 in total defense and #4 in scoring defense.

I'm not saying it isn't talented or he had a MAJOR hand in where we finished. But the unit performed pretty well. It wasn't last year's but there was also regression from several players, the offense was atrocious, etc. and it still finished solid.

I don't like Wash much and would rather move on but he doesn't exactly deserve it based on results this year. All I'm saying. 

I'm totally for a new scheme.

49 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I'm not saying it isn't talented or he had a MAJOR hand in where we finished. But the unit performed pretty well. It wasn't last year's but there was also regression from several players, the offense was atrocious, etc. and it still finished solid.

I don't like Wash much and would rather move on but he doesn't exactly deserve it based on results this year. All I'm saying. 

Just now, .Buzz said:

Again, ok? So bringing in a new guy gets us to top 3 maybe instead? Wooo

Either way, he hasn't been a problem. I may not like the scheme and want him gone myself, but he's done his job and defense is the farthest thing from the problem.

Give us a decent QB/offensive scheme and we're probably right back to being a legit contender. Has nothing to do with our defense.

I say this while not wanting to keep Wash, keep that in mind, just the truth in my eyes. He hasn't done anything wrong besides discipline not being great.

I think Wash is an above average DC with elite pieces to work with. If you can get a better DC then go for it. However, he isn't a guy worth firing if there isn't a clear upgrade to bring in.

I'm with Buzz in that I'd like to see the scheme change to more fit the guys we have and be more aggressive, but we could do a lot worse than Wash.

13 hours ago, .Buzz said:

This is an intriguing option. He's pretty highly thought of.

Not sure hes high up on my wish list just due to the struggles Rosen had, but idk if that's on him or not. But he's an intriguing option.

Byron Leftwich?  No thanks on him ever.  What did he even do to earn that promotion in Arizona?  Arians was the guy there.  If he's available, yeah, sign me up.  If not...pass.

12 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Wish we had an idea on the plan at DC. Our defense still was largely solid outside of turnovers. Ranked highly in most all categories. But I don't like this scheme at all. Plus the penalties and lack of discipline...I'd like to see a move.

I still think Marrone can be the guy, I like him. But there's been so many problems this year and it's hard to feel like that will get fixed with literally everyone back.

This is the thing i have a hard time with.  People who can recognize we weren't that far off a really good defense, coming off a season where this was an absolutely ELITE defense.  Yet want to make a total scheme change?  Bizarre.

If you put a competent ******* offense on the field, this defense will generate turnovers again.  That's how this **** works.  As long as you don't do too much idiotic gutting of the unit for "cap reasons".

12 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

This isn't going to end well for Marrone because as a leader you can't go from relaxed happy go lucky guy to a strict hard ***. Subordinates don't respond well to 180 degree changes from an individuals in leadership positions so if he thinks he is going to go from lax to busting these guys nuts next year he is going to be in for a rude awakening the locker room is going to tune him out and not listen to anything he says next year I expect a similar year next year to this year expect a lot more turmoil.

Yeah.  Idk how this is gonna go for Doug if he takes this approach.  It's not really a typically successful track to go from "players coach" to "bigtime hardass".  It mostly just tends to reek of a coach clutching desperately at something trying to save their job.  If that's his plan...maybe just jettison that now, and start from something fresh.  I doubt Doug is irreplaceable.  

8 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I'm 100% with you, up until the last line.

What's this "new scheme" that's going to suddenly turn a Top-end defense into something better?  We've had one absolutely ELITE year, and one...top-end year despite everything else falling to pieces and the defense mostly playing like they don't give a ****.  And still..pretty good.  

I wanna know what new scheme is gonna make this defense better.

People love to hate Wash for some soft coverage on the boundary, but it's all part of how this scheme works as a whole.

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'm 100% with you, up until the last line.

What's this "new scheme" that's going to suddenly turn a Top-end defense into something better?  We've had one absolutely ELITE year, and one...top-end year despite everything else falling to pieces and the defense mostly playing like they don't give a ****.  And still..pretty good.  

I wanna know what new scheme is gonna make this defense better.

People love to hate Wash for some soft coverage on the boundary, but it's all part of how this scheme works as a whole.

1) You really think this scheme maximizes the potential of our two elite corners?

2) We rush 4 like 90 percent of the time. Every offense knows what we're doing. There's very little creativity.

3) Turnovers may come, sure. But they'd be much more likely if we weren't playing off coverage/zone when that doesn't fit to what most of our secondary does well and if we actually somewhat creative up front and weren't such a bend but don't break defense. 

As I said, it works, so Wash won't get canned. But it still is frustrating to watch all the speed, athleticism, and talent of this unit and not see much creativity from the DC with it. It's just oozing with potential. 

It's not crazy to think or imagine changing schemes with the right guy to head it wouldn't benefit this unit. There's risk of getting worse, but as I said, with this much talent there's no reason it shouldn't be at least a top 10 defense regardless.

Archived