2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

Just now, LinderFournette said:

he wasn't even a GM with the giants.  he didn't have that responsibility.   his GM Ernie Accorsi got him Eli thus its not on Coughlins Track Record of Drafting QBs. 

we arent likely drafting a QB round 1 based on how these players have looked to me. 

Just because he wasn't the GM doesn't mean he didn't have any say/pull in that organization. Both the times he has had major success in the NFL were with big time QB play (Brunell, Eli). Just because he was able to snag Brunell for a couple mid round picks doesn't mean that is just the norm/what he'll always do. Once he found Brunell he never had to try to get a different QB during his time here. 

If we don't see a franchise QB/there isn't one there in the 1st when we pick than ok, go a different route and hopefully we can find a mid rd gem/we sign a free agent QB like Alex Smith (hopefully he'll be available, but he looked terrific against NE so who knows). 

I really don't think strictly basing his time in Jacksonville the first go around with not taking a 1st round QB is the right way of thinking though. As I said, he had an expansion team and was building up the franchise early on. Ended up lucking into Brunell and the rest was history.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Just because he wasn't the GM doesn't mean he didn't have any say/pull in that organization. Both the times he has had major success in the NFL were with big time QB play (Brunell, Eli). Just because he was able to snag Brunell for a couple mid round picks doesn't mean that is just the norm/what he'll always do. Once he found Brunell he never had to try to get a different QB during his time here. 

If we don't see a franchise QB/there isn't one there in the 1st when we pick than ok, go a different route and hopefully we can find a mid rd gem/we sign a free agent QB like Alex Smith (hopefully he'll be available, but he looked terrific against NE so who knows). 

I really don't think strictly basing his time in Jacksonville the first go around with not taking a 1st round QB is the right way of thinking though. As I said, he had an expansion team and was building up the franchise early on. Ended up lucking into Brunell and the rest was history.

and when he watches Baker Mayfield he will fall in love. accurate, quick decisions with some athletic abilities.  

6: R1P6
QB SAM DARNOLD
USC starting qb. I dont care about his delivery
38: R2P6
G QUENTON NELSON
NOTRE DAME starting guard
70: R3P6
OT CHUKWUMA OKORAFOR
WESTERN MICHIGAN starting rt
108: R4P6
CB DEATRICK NICHOLS
SOUTH FLORIDA nickle corner
144: R5P6
TE ADAM BRENEMAN
MASSACHUSETTS possible pass-catching te
185: R6P6
CB DEION HARRIS
NORTH DAKOTA backup outside corner with length
232: R7P10
WR ROBERT FOSTER
ALABAMA wr depth

A couple of points on Lamar Jackson that you'll notice from his game against NC (has all the passes in the video above) that were pointed out by a former scout (Bucky Brooks): 

Although he has plenty of work to do to become a star as a pro -- I chronicled his flaws in the offseason -- Jackson has made strides in key areas of his game this season.

After struggling with his accuracy during his first two seasons, Jackson's completion rate is 64.7 percent through 2 games -- up from 56.2 in 2016 and 54.4 in 2015, respectively. Most impressively, he has shown better anticipation, timing and ball placement on an assortment of throws between the hashes at the short and intermediate level. On short crossing routes and digs vs. UNC, in particular, Jackson led receivers into open areas between defenders with precise throws delivered well before the pass-catchers ventured into the voids.

With Jackson combining his improved anticipatory-passing skills with a rock-solid quick-game approach (catch, rock and throw) on throws of less than 10 yards, the Cardinals' QB1 is far more decisive and efficient than he's been in previous years.

With that said, he must continue to work on his accuracy, particularly on throws outside the numbers. Against North Carolina, he repeatedly sailed the ball over the head of his intended receiver on a handful of deep comebacks and outs. Jackson's misses were so egregious that I wonder if he can play in an offense that features out-breaking routes or target routes that finish between the bottom of the numbers and the sidelines.

Now, Jackson can certainly improve on those throws by refining his footwork at the top of his drops, but he will need to diligently work on his throwing platform to become the consistent passer that coaches and scouts desire in a QB1.

He does have the arm strength to make all the throws on the field. He just shows inconsistency and the throws on the wide open out routes (I noticed 7:40, 10:45, and 11:35 in the video) are inaccurate and difficult to watch. There are more inaccurate throws, but they are not as bad as the ones listed.

Scouts believe that it's only footwork/ throwing mechanics, but we've now had issues with 2 QBs drafted in the top 10 who had throwing mechanics and accuracy problems. I'm not sure if people are ready to give this another try. With that being said, he has a good command of short passes and his timing seems to be great on those routes. He has shown improvement and I hope he continues to do so. To be a great QB you must be able to have timing and accuracy. If he improves his intermediate and deep accuracy and shows consistency on throws and footwork, he could be the best player in the league (his ceiling is seriously that high). 

Keep an eye out for the Louisville vs Clemson game to see how he performs against top tier talent. 

This dude. I'd like to keep an eye on him for the season. See if he falls into the mid rounds of the draft. He has great body control. His hands are huge and he seems to make the grabs. Does a good job of winning 50/50 balls (attacks the ball viciously when in the air). Route running needs to be refined. Doesn't have great long speed. Seems to have a few moves he uses in the open field to get YAC, but that's not his strong point. Keep an eye on him men. 

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Rosen had some pretty brutal throws today. Also had some really good ones, but not sure what to think of that guy. Makes some really bonehead decisions when good pressure comes.

umm he has no real nfl talent around him offensively outside his Center Quessenberry per Matt Miller. i looked at the names and ive never heard of any of his skill guys . 

16 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

umm he has no real nfl talent around him offensively outside his Center Quessenberry per Matt Miller. i looked at the names and ive never heard of any of his skill guys . 

Not sure what that has to do with my post. If you watched him today he made several seriously stupid throws/mistakes. Whether you have talent around you or not those are awful decisions.

As for Matt Miller, blah.

Archived