2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

I just don’t feel there’s enough buzz around the QBs for a team to trade up to 3 for a guy. So I’m just going into the draft assuming we will be drafting at 3. Murray goes 1 and whoever goes 2 guarantees us 1 of Allen or Bosa. Not much is gonna change my opinion on this baring breaking news in the next 4 days.

24 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Agreed. Except we don’t have a 2nd. 

Right, all contingent on a trade down. If the Jets aren’t sold on Allen but someone else is like TB, Detroit, etc., they could trade down, snag a 2nd, add Oliver and then swing the 2nd for Clark. Add a guy like McGovern in the 3rd. 

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Right, all contingent on a trade down. If the Jets aren’t sold on Allen but someone else is like TB, Detroit, etc., they could trade down, snag a 2nd, add Oliver and then swing the 2nd for Clark. Add a guy like McGovern in the 3rd. 

And that’s really the only way I’d be ok with Q or Oliver would be if we traded for Clark. And even then I think we should’ve gone a different direction in the draft. But I’d live with it

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

And that’s really the only way I’d be ok with Q or Oliver would be if we traded for Clark. And even then I think we should’ve gone a different direction in the draft. But I’d live with it

You can argue tackle too. I’d be cool with Dillard in a trade down. 

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

You can argue tackle too. I’d be cool with Dillard in a trade down. 

I still revert back to Macc and Gase repeatedly saying they want to help Darnold our with players around him. So I do think OL is addressed early. Another idea that’s growing on me is if we do draft at 3, maybe trading up from one of our 3rds into round 2 to get a OT or C we don’t think will make it to us.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I still revert back to Macc and Gase repeatedly saying they want to help Darnold our with players around him. So I do think OL is addressed early. Another idea that’s growing on me is if we do draft at 3, maybe trading up from one of our 3rds into round 2 to get a OT or C we don’t think will make it to us.

Also a possibility. For me, center wise, either get McCoy or just wait for McGovern. I think Bradbury is overrated personally and I have McGovern above Jenkins. From a tackle perspective, I’d prob take Dillard over anyone. 

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I just don’t feel there’s enough buzz around the QBs for a team to trade up to 3 for a guy. So I’m just going into the draft assuming we will be drafting at 3. Murray goes 1 and whoever goes 2 guarantees us 1 of Allen or Bosa. Not much is gonna change my opinion on this baring breaking news in the next 4 days.

I think a trade can happen for a non-QB player, but Maccagnan absolutely won't get the compensation that many would expect if using last year's trade (1st + 3 2nd's) as a blueprint. 

More likely we move down about 6-12 spots and acquire a 2nd + 4th and 2020 pick(s), or we move down 1-2 spots and acquire a 3rd + 4th. 

Again, I think the only true hope the Jets have at moving down is with OAK, TB, GB or ATL. OAK/TB seems logical because they and the Jets all are considering similar prospects, so if either team loves a player they could seek to secure that player by moving up a few spots. In regards to GB/ATL, they are run by aggressive GMs who are operating in a "win-now" have the capital to move up if they love a specific blue-chip player. 

12 hours ago, typecast said:

Some interesting rumors in here. Dave-te Thomas says the team he's heard that will look to move up to 3? The Miami Dolphins. 

Even more interesting? They'd be moving up for a DL. 

I can't see it. We'd likely ask for their 2nd, 3rd, and 2020 picks, and if Miami is truly looking to tank for a QB next year, they need to conserve as many 2020 draft picks in case they need to trade up (see 2017-18 NYJ). 

8 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I think a trade can happen for a non-QB player, but Maccagnan absolutely won't get the compensation that many would expect if using last year's trade (1st + 3 2nd's) as a blueprint. 

More likely we move down about 6-12 spots and acquire a 2nd + 4th and 2020 pick(s), or we move down 1-2 spots and acquire a 3rd + 4th. 

Again, I think the only true hope the Jets have at moving down is with OAK, TB, GB or ATL. OAK/TB seems logical because they and the Jets all are considering similar prospects, so if either team loves a player they could seek to secure that player by moving up a few spots. In regards to GB/ATL, they are run by aggressive GMs who are operating in a "win-now" have the capital to move up if they love a specific blue-chip player. 

If we trade far down to recoup our second d a few mid round picks I’d be pissed off but I’d kind of understand the philosophy. Although I’d disagree with it. 

What would make my bloody boil though would be a pathetic trade back a couple of spots to get a 3rd or 4th rounder. Why bother when we can get Bosa/Allen? Doesn’t make any sense whatsoever in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, xenajets said:

If we trade far down to recoup our second d a few mid round picks I’d be pissed off but I’d kind of understand the philosophy. Although I’d disagree with it. 

What would make my bloody boil though would be a pathetic trade back a couple of spots to get a 3rd or 4th rounder. Why bother when we can get Bosa/Allen? Doesn’t make any sense whatsoever in my opinion. 

1. Too many are assuming that Allen is a clear-cut top 5 prospect. I don't think that's the case. I think he will be a draft day "faller" who the Lions will select 8th overall. Whether or not that should be the case is not relevant to me; I just get the feeling the NFL views him slightly differently than #DraftTwitter does
  2. You have to remember that the Jets grades likely aren't being properly reflected in the media. Look at it from the team's point of view; they're self-aware and know they have a need at the EDGE (Allen). However, they are rumored to have higher grades on Oliver/Williams. If you move down to 5, you're still guaranteed one of Oliver/Williams/Allen while recouping additional draft capital. Personally, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with the Jets taking a DL in round 1 if they add more draft capital in day 2... despite how good I feel about Williams/Oliver, I'd feel bitter-sweet taking either at 3. 

36 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:
  1. Too many are assuming that Allen is a clear-cut top 5 prospect. I don't think that's the case. I think he will be a draft day "faller" who the Lions will select 8th overall. Whether or not that should be the case is not relevant to me; I just get the feeling the NFL views him slightly differently than #DraftTwitter does
  2. You have to remember that the Jets grades likely aren't being properly reflected in the media. Look at it from the team's point of view; they're self-aware and know they have a need at the EDGE (Allen). However, they are rumored to have higher grades on Oliver/Williams. If you move down to 5, you're still guaranteed one of Oliver/Williams/Allen while recouping additional draft capital. Personally, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with the Jets taking a DL in round 1 if they add more draft capital in day 2... despite how good I feel about Williams/Oliver, I'd feel bitter-sweet taking either at 3. 

It just seems like when something seems to good too be true we talk ourselves out of making the obvious decision. Allen (as I think Bosa would be loved by fans/pundits/FO) is a guy who’s 6’5 260lbs with insane speed, power and has the resume to match with 17 sacks last year. 

But being realistic what would the Jets FO think Oliver or Williams would turn in to? If it’s another Leo Williams then why bother getting a guy that high in the draft? We proven with the trade for Anderson that inside pass rushers can be found. What we’ve also proven is the elusive edge rusher is not so easy. 

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

The one thing I will say about the recent Oliver reports: it’s pretty clear the source of this “leak” is Gregg Williams himself - or someone who is close to him. 

I will say this. If you’re gonna draft a guy for his defense, you kinda have to let him pick the guy that he wants or can work best with. 

Edited by KingOfTheDot
  • Like 1