On offseason that rebuilds the OLine AND keeps Barr and Richardson

DisplacedViking

I'm no Brez or Slick Rick, but played around on Fanspeak and was able to create enough cap space to upgrade the roster enough to compete for a championship, at least imho...

First of all we need to dump some salary, so I cut Remmers, Griffen, Brothers, Bower, Collins, Rudolph, Sandejo, and Stanton.

Then I brought back Rudy and Everson on more team friendly deals. This created enough cap space to resign Barr, Richardson, and Tom Johnson.

After that and letting fringe roster players walk, we still had about $17 million left for free agency and the draft.

According to the website our biggest remaining needs were OT, OG, C, S, QB, and RB.

So I made offers that were accepted to Ramon Foster and Mitch Morse, both guys that have played guard and center.

That leaves us with over $8 million in cap space with draft needs now shown as OT, S, QB, and RB. I also would like to add a big bodied WR with better speed than Treadwell and a more athletic LB than Gedeon.

On to the draft.....I stayed put in the 1st round and took the all purpose lineman from K State, Dalton Risener.

There were a few guys I really liked that fell to the 2nd round so I traded our 2nd, 3rd, and both the later picks in the 6th and 7th for Arizona's top pick in the 2nd.

Tampa Bay then offered me the 6th pick in the 2nd and 7th pick in the 3rd for our 2nd rounder and that was simply too good to resist.

Then with the 6th pick in the 2nd the player I wanted was still there! 6' 3",  4.4 40 yard dash, 215 pound outside WR, Nkeal Harry from Arizona State.

I stayed put in the 3rd and took the big OT from Florida, Martez Ivey.

The Ravens gave us the 24th pick in the 5th to move up to 18 in the 4th. With the 24th pick in the 4th I took the athletic LB from Michigan, Devin Bush.

I was done trading and took a swing at a small school QB in the 5th, North Dakota State's Easton Stick.

In the 6th I took a good sized safety that led Temple in tackles and interceptions,  Delvon Randall.

Finally in the 7th I got a young replacement for Latavius, LJ Scott from Michigan State.

4 new members of the OL, a flashy new WR allowing both Thielen and Diggs to play some slot WR, athletic depth and/or ST, and enough space left over to give Thielen a well deserved raise. 

Obviously a LOT would have to go right, but I would be ecstatic!

What do you think? I have ancient, leathery thick skin so show me no mercy!

21 minutes ago, DisplacedViking said:

I'm no Brez or Slick Rick, but played around on Fanspeak and was able to create enough cap space to upgrade the roster enough to compete for a championship, at least imho

No plan can perfectly fill all holes but I really like how to prioritized. I am not sold on either Barr or Richardson so wouldn't prioritize keeping either of them as much as you possibly did. They are workable pieces so if the price is right I would keep them. Not sure how much you ended up getting them for but I would be looking to pay Richardson $1M less than they paid him this year and Barr $3M less than they paid him in 2018.

I don't understand cutting some of the guys on rookie contracts. That doesn't save the team money; those roster spots will be filled by other guys making similar salaries.

Beyond that, I really like how you prioritized. It appears you are placing a lot more value on the offensive line than the Vikings have placed under Spielman. It is clear to me that more value needs to be placed there so I am happy to see it happening in your plan.

I don't know much about the college prospects as I follow FCS. I have loved watching Stick for the last few years; I'll be leaving on a trip down to Texas in a few days to watch Stick play in the championship game again. It would be a lot of fun to watch him playing for the Vikings in the preseason. I don't know if Stick's running ability will hold up in the NFL like it does in the FCS (it won't). He will have a learning curve to adapt his play to the NFL. 

I don't know about WR in the second but also don't know what other options were available at the time. I could live with it knowing that the team picked up a couple offensive linemen in free agency along with a couple prospects in the first two days of the draft. Third WR is for sure a need. Just not sure about using a second round pick on a third WR. I would rather they find a guy in free agency to fill that need. 

Barr probably finds a better deal than I would offer him somewhere else. Some of that money could be used towards a third WR and the second round pick could potentially be used on a LB. I have confidence in Zimmer's ability to get a LB bootstrapped and productive quickly.

Archived