2019 Playoffs

VikeManDan

All I know is that no matter the OT rules are, people would ***** about them. Is anyone surprised that people are still bitching about the college playoffs and what teams get in?

Also I'm not real familiar with the college OT rules, but couldn't that come down to a kicker?

Also if Brady didn't have a chance to touch the ball the rule would be changed by now

If pro football reference (and my math) are correct, the average length of a defensive pass interference penalty was a touch over 17 yards. If there was a questionable call on a 17 yard catch/no catch, you'd want it reviewed, right? I think it has to be reviewable, but only if it is called on the field. I don't think a coach should be able to challenge to get a flag. This probably means there are more flags thrown, but if it makes the outcome of the game right I'm for it.

The other thing that needs to be changed is the automatic first down rule. Maybe defensive holding gets changed to a 10 yard penalty, but it isn't an automatic first down. I don't know, but the fact that a five yard penalty on a 3rd and 23 can result in a first down seems ridiculous.

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has long since shattered the NFL record for most career postseason games played, but Super Bowl LIII will be a special milestone. The Super Bowl will be Brady’s 40th career postseason game, easily the most of any player in NFL history.

In second place all time is Brady’s former teammate Adam Vinatieri, who has played 32 career postseason games, 17 with the Patriots and 15 with the Colts. In third is Jerry Rice, who played in 29 postseason games, 23 with the 49ers, five with the Raiders and one with the Seahawks. And moving into fourth place all time on Super Bowl Sunday will be Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski, who will play in his 28th career postseason game.

Brady’s record is unbreakable for many years: It’s not realistic to think the 46-year-old Vinatieri will last long enough to break it. Gostkowski turns 35 next week and probably can’t break it either, in part because he can’t make up any ground with Brady as long as they’re playing in the postseason together. No other active players are close, with Patriots special teamer Matt Slater next at 22 and Patriots defensive back Devin McCourty and Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger tied at 21. No other active players are even halfway to Brady.

So 40 career postseason games is among the records Brady will hold the longest. Maybe forever.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/22/super-bowl-will-be-tom-bradys-40th-postseason-game/

37 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

The other thing that needs to be changed is the automatic first down rule. Maybe defensive holding gets changed to a 10 yard penalty, but it isn't an automatic first down. I don't know, but the fact that a five yard penalty on a 3rd and 23 can result in a first down seems ridiculous.

So much this.

51 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Also I'm not real familiar with the college OT rules, but couldn't that come down to a kicker?

Is that really any different then NFL OT?

College OT each team possesses the ball starting at the opponents 25-30 yard line.

Team A scores a TD, team B has to match or they lose. Team A kicks a FG and Team B scores a TD, team B wins. After a certain number of possessions teams have to start attempting 2-point conversions rather than attempting the XP. That is pretty much the jist of it. 

45 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I absolutely hate the college football OT.  Those rules cheapen the sport and can turn a well-played 21-21 game into an Arena League score.

That's fine that you hate college OT. That might happen on occasion but I'd like to think that most NFL OTs would be over in under 4 possessions (completely arbitrary number, I know).

29 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

That's fine that you hate college OT. That might happen on occasion but I'd like to think that most NFL OTs would be over in under 4 possessions (completely arbitrary number, I know).

i agree, i'd go the college route too.

the NFL doesn't do it because of the tv networks' disdain for the unpredictable nature of it timing-wise and how it can be scheduled and contained.

33 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

That's fair, I've just always thought it's ridiculous...as is the shootout in the NHL.  Hell, they may as well just have a free throw contest in the NBA.  That's the equivalent.  I think all of those cheapen their respective sports. 

Either play a full 10 minutes (without the sudden death aspect) or a 15-minute sudden death (with the current rule of a TD ending it).  None of that starting from the 25 (or 40) nonsense as that's not regular play.    

39 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Is that really any different then NFL OT?

College OT each team possesses the ball starting at the opponents 25-30 yard line.

Team A scores a TD, team B has to match or they lose. Team A kicks a FG and Team B scores a TD, team B wins. After a certain number of possessions teams have to start attempting 2-point conversions rather than attempting the XP. That is pretty much the jist of it. 

My point exactly. Both offenses can score a TD but 1 kicker misses the extra point to lose the game. Is that more fair than forcing the defense to make a stop?

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's fair, I've just always thought it's ridiculous...as is the shootout in the NHL.  Hell, they may as well just have a free throw contest in the NBA.  That's the equivalent.  I think all of those cheapen their respective sports. 

Either play a full 10 minutes (without the sudden death aspect) or a 15-minute sudden death (with the current rule of a TD ending it).  None of that starting from the 25 (or 40) nonsense as that's not regular play.    

At least in hockey they play the 3-on-3 before doing the shootout, we'll agree to disagree on the free throw contest as I don't see that as being equivalent at all.

Those could be starting points for an OT-hybrid. Perhaps I'm just not a fan of the "sudden-death" aspect without the other team having an opportunity, at least once. Which I understand isn't really sudden death anymore. I'll stand my ground that I think college OT is a better format, I'd even be fine if they started at their own 25 and had to march down the field.

12 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

My point exactly. Both offenses can score a TD but 1 kicker misses the extra point to lose the game. Is that more fair than forcing the defense to make a stop?

Your point? Plenty of NFL games have ended on missed kicks. If you don't trust your kicker then go for 2 and put the pressure on the defense. 

I think it is more fair than having one defense not even play a snap in OT. 

I also hate the term "fair", each team having a possession would "level" the playing field.

Stanley Cup OT is some of the best sports TV to watch. They don't change anything, maybe the NFL needs to just play 15 minute quarters until they get a winner.

13 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Your point? Plenty of NFL games have ended on missed kicks. If you don't trust your kicker then go for 2 and put the pressure on the defense. 

I think it is more fair than having one defense not even play a snap in OT. 

I also hate the term "fair", each team having a possession would "level" the playing field.

Stanley Cup OT is some of the best sports TV to watch. They don't change anything, maybe the NFL needs to just play 15 minute quarters until they get a winner.

My main point of that it's a team game. Any of the players on the field can mess up or make a play to win or lose the game.

I wanted Mahomes to get a shot but I wanted the chiefs to get a stop on 3rd and 10 or to not give Brady a free play

So you are ok with putting the game info the hands of the kicker but not the 11 players on defense?

Archived