2019 Sign, Draft or Promote: Starting SLB

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting OLB position?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting OLB position?

• Re-sign Anthony Barr
    • Sign an external free agent (state preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting LB (state preference in thread)
    • Promote Eric Wilson
    • Promote Ben Gedeon
    • Other (specify preference in thread)

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 11:40 AM, vikesfan89 said:

So a demotion?

No. He is a "starter" like CJ Ham is a "starter". They technically start at their respective positions but they are only on the field in certain packages. Gedeon can get on the field against teams with power run schemes, but doesn't have the athleticism to be an every down player. I don't think @SemperFeist was saying we need to upgrade him, but rather that he isn't a Barr replacement candidate.

Although Barr's a really good player with rare gifts, he's replaceable.  I tend to believe the Ravens, Raiders, Chargers or New England will make a push for him.   The NFC teams like the Saints, Lions and Carolina might too . . . my dark horse would be Seattle.

As for the Vikes, I say let Wilson take the lead role in securing the job.  He did pretty well in Barr's absence last year.  Keep Gedeon at WLB.  Then draft a guy and let's see how Hercules does coming back from the ACL.  I don't recall where the team was for him getting settled in . . . whether it was SLB or DE.  He's not nearly as physically fast as Barr, but he has a nose for the football.  Another potential twist would be to use Kearse out there.

If the Vikes go OL in Rd 1 and DL in Rd 2, maybe a Terrill Hanks or Vosean Joseph would be available in Rd 3?  In any event, the SLB needs to fill some dang big shoes.

Archived