Texans @ Saints

amazingandre

1 minute ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I, um... don't even know what to say to this. Kubiak? Seriously?

With the way our OL played, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers working with an Andy Reid gameplan wouldn't even succeed. Gameplan can't overcome such a bad performance from the OL.

You know I respect your opinion ET but I have seen team's with worse OL's play less boring offense and manage to score points. This is what the 4th time under O'Brien we have been shutout in the preseaon for his career? I know its preseason but thats pathetic. Saints D isnt even good and we couldnt score.

Also, hope everybody is ok right now. Water is high in my driveway and in the ditches. Neighbor actually woke me up at 1 am to move my car in the street where there wasnt water. 

31 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

You know I respect your opinion ET but I have seen team's with worse OL's play less boring offense and manage to score points. This is what the 4th time under O'Brien we have been shutout in the preseaon for his career? I know its preseason but thats pathetic. Saints D isnt even good and we couldnt score.

I think you're really fishing when you're citing historical preseason stats. I didn't know that, and - more importantly - I really don't care.

You bring up some significant losses/no shows on offense (along with the names you mentioned, no Duane Brown - who is probably the most important no-show of em all). Hopkins, Fuller, Fido, Brown; That's over 1/3 of our starting O, our top four pass catchers when you factor in Miller, and our best RB on our roster by far. Hopkins, Fuller, Miller, Foreman are our best offensive weapons and Brown is the best protector by a significant margin.

Given those names being gone - where was offense supposed to come from? Bruce Ellington, who has been on the team for a total of 10 days? Lamar Miller, who played about six minutes? Alfred Blue, who played about six minutes? Was Dres Anderson supposed to completely work over Marcus Lattimore?

The offense looked bad yesterday, but there wasn't many reliable offensive players to put out there. Had we got offense going (we actually did keep up with the Saints offense output in the first two quarters) with that cast of characters, we should be extending O'Brien for 5 years. Literally speaking, there was nobody available in offense.

31 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Also, hope everybody is ok right now. Water is high in my driveway and in the ditches. Neighbor actually woke me up at 1 am to move my car in the street where there wasnt water. 

Yeah, my street is starting to take on water as well. My neighborhood is actually designed very well for heavy rain such as this, but this is testing its limits.

Stay safe, everyone.

Here is the breakdown of every Savage pass

2nd and 4, good protection, nice on time throw to Ellington. First down

Not a pass attempt, but the next play Tom spent a lot of time at the line changing the play. He checked into a poor run play that went for 2 off the left side.

2nd and 9, 5 wide empty set. He made a good read and had Ellington coming open, but Martin (who struggled tonight) let his guy slip off the block last second and batted the pass down. It is worth nothing that this was a stunt. Allen picked up his guy, but Martin didn't get his guy quick enough coming off the switch. Lamm was starting to get beat here too, but Tom would have stayed clean with the throw coming out on time.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_28_at_9_26_16_AM.png

3rd and 9, and this is the exact play that Tom has done over and over again and what I think is his biggest flaw. He snapped the ball, locked onto Anderson who was smothered in coverage, but threw the ball to him anyway, even with a clean pocket. Just a terrible decision.

His next pass came on 2nd and 13, after a holding play on a run call (Martin was one of them). Tom had a nice pocket, made a quick read and threw it over the middle to Ervin.

3rd and 9 he throws short again to Ellington, gain of about 4. It's hard to see, but I think he had Anderson open near the first down, the pocket was clean, was just starting to collapse when he threw the ball.

The next series started off with a run, but Ervin got blown up. Both Allen and Martin failed from the start, plus Griffen completely ignored the LB who would have made the play if the DL didn't. That was just a terrible play from everyone, although the tackles looked good on an island.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_28_at_9_38_21_AM.png

2nd and 14, completed pass, but once again Savage locked on to Anderson before throwing it to him. He needs to be careful.

3rd and about 10, great throw for the first down. The RT got beat, but Savage uploaded it just in time with great accuracy.

The next play Savage changed the play at the line and checked into another poor run play. Martin got blown off the ball and walked into the backfield.

2nd and 11, Ervin got blown up and allowed the LB to get right into Tom's face. He threw the ball up for grabs to Strong, 50/50 ball, almost picked off the tip. Something of note IMO, his throw up to Strong is no different then Watson's throw ups. One isn't more accurate than the other in that type of throw.

3rd and 11, I noted this play yesterday. This is the exact same play that confused the OL and the QB later in the game that allowed a blind side sack on Watson. No one touched the outside guy and he came free to the QB, the difference here with Savage is his throw was in the middle of the field to Anderson, where Watson's throw was to the right side and he had his back to the defender. The catch was short of the sticks.

1st and 10, nice play action pass to Griffen for the first. Was a two yard pass, but a nice run and gain. Good play that was executed well

1st and 10, quick throw to Ellington on a screen, nice throw and run. We went hurry up right before that.

The next play was a run to the right, Martin and Allen got zero push, might have lost about a yard.

3rd and 2, throws to Griffen on a quick pass, he had a LB cut in front of Griffen, chasing Ervin out of the backfield, Savage was patient enough to wait for it to clear before he threw it. Good pass.

1st and 10, quick out pass to Anderson (TE), the throw was slightly behind Anderson and he dropped it when the LB fell on him during the tackled. Similar off target throw we see occasionally from Watson, should still have been caught.

2nd and 10, Savage recognized the CB blitz and threw it right away to Ellington on the curl for a nice throw and run.

2nd and 7, 5 wide empty set, they blitzed up the middle, bringing 6 with only 5 blockers, Savage got rid of right away to Strong, slightly behind him, but good throw and catch. Illegal formation, 5 yard penalty.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_28_at_10_00_10_AM.pn

2nd and 12, his first read was covered, he came off it late, the pocket was being pushed back, he drifted and threw up a lob to Ellington on his back foot.The placement was good, Ellington should catch it.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_28_at_10_04_38_AM.pn

3rd and 12, Ervin with another terrible block attempt, he did a pathetic chip before escaping out the backfield, Savage tried to throw it to him, but it was blocked. This is a play Watson had the ability to run and get a better line of sight, Savage was just too slow. Either way Ervin failed him on the block assist.

That was the end of Savage and the starting oline. I hate that we pulled them all so early. This unit needs more reps than they got, including Savage.

Now for Watson's pass breakdowns

1st and 10, he made a decent pass to Strong who dropped it. Similar accuracy as Savage on a few of these throws. Definitely should have been caught.

1st and 10, nice a pass, but a nice bootleg with no one open, gains some nice yards with his legs.

2nd and 3, 50/50 ball with decent placement, another drop by Strong.

3rd and 3, nice throw to Baylis for the first down

1st and 10, poor decision by Watson to throw it up like that. I want to see him use his athleticism when the pocket gets pushed to his lap like that. At worse, take the sack, don't throw it up in the middle of the field. Rookie mistake. To his credit his facemask was yanked on that play and he seemed to freak a little and threw the ball up for grabs. The next play he received a delay of game penalty.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_28_at_10_22_12_AM.pn

2nd and 15, completed a screen pass, I would like to see the pass in front of the WR a little more, the placement was off. I don't want to see the WR turn his back to the defense on a play like this.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_28_at_10_25_07_AM.pn

3rd and 16, nice pocket awareness and movement, nice throw to Ervin who bobbled it, but caught it. Tackled short of the marker.

1st and 10, another late throw almost picked off. He had the guy open if he would have throw is sooner, but it was late and the LB came underneath and almost picked it. Bad decision.

2nd and 10, great strike on the slant to Anderson who made a nice run.

1st and 10, I HATE this play. He has all kinds of room to run, he escapes the pocket and then is like a deer in headlights. I can only imagine him hearing OB in his head telling him to stop running lol. Don't limit his ability to make plays. The pocket collapsed and he had room to run, let him run. Should have ran DeShaun.

2nd and 7, he had all day, the WRs ran deep routes so i can't see them, not sure if there were open or not, tried to dump it off to the Rb, but it was batted down. Kyle Fuller is so bad lol

3rd and 7, check down complete, time runs off the half.

2nd and 9, great throw to Strong on the slant.

1st and 10, another great throw to Williams, who scampered for some good yards.

2nd and 9, not sure why he didn't throw it. He pumped then got sacked because Slade is trash, even at RT. He had two options here, but pulled it down. the safety was coming up quick, but I think he could have made the throw.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_28_at_10_37_05_AM.pn

3rd and 13, they over loaded the line and brought the house. He threw it up for grabs, incomplete. I don't hate the throw here, but we need to do a better job calling out hot routes so we aren't throwing it up for grabs. His inexperience showed itself here.

3rd and 11 after two failed run attempts because our backup OL is trash, Slade allowed another pressure, Watson's first read was covered so he scrambled extending the play, made a great throw on the run that was accurate, but Williams dropped it. Would have been a first down. I think we would have scored this drive if Williams caught it. This is the exact play you point to that Savage doesn't make, if any of you were wondering. 

Screen_Shot_2017_08_28_at_10_42_51_AM.pn

1st and 10, great bootleg with a defender bearing down his face and he made a great throw to Allen.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_28_at_10_45_56_AM.pn

2nd and 9, another great throw under pressure to Thompsen, dropped. Illegal formation again.

3rd and 9, pocket collapsed again, Watson with another great throw to Allen.

2nd and about 6, Watson misses high, its tipped and intercepted. What a bummer of a way to end his night. Good pocket, just missed the throw.

I still feel really good about Watson, I am surprised that he came in at the end of the 2nd and not our starting offense and I am even more surprised that the starting OL was pulled and he had to do the 3 minute drill with the backups. OB is definitely rolling with Savage.

Archived