2019 Bears: How will it go?

BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW

15 hours ago, ColGerBear said:

The Browns had a 5-3 record in their last 8 games
Fired their HC midseason
Mayfield will probably take another step
they got better this offseason

They finished 3rd in their division so their schedule won't be the toughest.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Browns do what the Bears did last season.

They have twice the talent of anyone in their terrible division, they should win.

They still have an inexperienced coaching staff and a lockerroom full of guys used to losing.  

Should be interesting, if they start fast they could gain a lot of confidence and roll.  If they start slow it could come crashing down.  A lot combustible personalities in the mix.  

QB seems like a winner is best thing they have going for them. 

My point wasnt Browns aren't talented, its that OBJ isn't a franchise changing WR like he is hyped to be.   He is very good, but I think Brown has been better throughout his career. 

I don't put OBJ on same pedastal as Rice, Moss, Calvin Johnson.  I would put Brown up there, not quite as high, but up there.  

Brown is getting up there in years now so I don't know that he will impact Raiders like he did Steelers. 

47 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

They have twice the talent of anyone in their terrible division, they should win.

They still have an inexperienced coaching staff and a lockerroom full of guys used to losing.  

Should be interesting, if they start fast they could gain a lot of confidence and roll.  If they start slow it could come crashing down.  A lot combustible personalities in the mix.  

That's a good read on them, high risk high reward, but man,  I got tired of making fun of the Browns a while ago so purely from a sporting standpoint it's fun to watch them at least be considered 

And I think Brown on the Raiders is going to underperform and overdramatize

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

That's a good read on them, high risk high reward, but man,  I got tired of making fun of the Browns a while ago so purely from a sporting standpoint it's fun to watch them at least be considered 

And I think Brown on the Raiders is going to underperform and overdramatize

Brown may be a bit past his hey day, but he had a heck of a run.  

• 2 weeks later...

A number of Bears saying briefly in interviews that they worked out with MT in offseason brief as it has been.  

Davis is latest to say so talking with Thayer and Miller.  I wish they would follow up more when guys mention that.  Who else was there? What did you work on?   How did you work on it?  They just move on to next question.  It's okay to deviate from your list when someone says something interesting. 

I remember at least one other guy saying it., maybe two.  Robinson is one I think, but honestly can't remember.  

Anyway, I like that in a QB.  Shows Manningesq work ethic and desire.

I like those guys but they are terrible interviewers.  

Are you a good RB?  How do you break tackles? Is it nice that Bears and Seattle wanted you? What did coach Spurrier change about your running? Can you run a route? Do you want a nickname?

What would we lesrn from any of this? You only get anything from listening to their interviews when guys deviate and start talking on their own.

Like when Nichols said Hicks has been his personal tutor.  Or Hicks said it.  Can't remember who went first.  But that was interesting. 

If MT takes a step forward this year and Shaheen does just adequate Bears will have a real good case for best draft of 2017.

2 Chicago Bears Mitchell Trubisky  QB North Carolina ACC from San Francisco [R1 - 1]
  2 45 Chicago Bears Adam Shaheen  TE Ashland GLIAC from Arizona [R2 - 8]
  4 112 Chicago Bears Eddie Jackson  S Alabama SEC from LA Rams [R4 - 4]
  4 119 Chicago Bears Tarik Cohen  RB North Carolina A&T MEAC from Arizona [R4 - 9]
  5 147 Chicago Bears Jordan Morgan  G Kutztown PSAC

That is really saying something considering Browns had 3 first round picks and a high 2nd.  Out of all that they really just have Garrett and Njoku of note to show for it.  That doesn't beat an ascending QB pro bowl alternate and 2 pro bowl players.    All pro in Jackson. 

Texans got Watson, but little else.

KC got Mahomes, but lost Hunt.

Saints got 4 studs and had a great draft.  They have a good case for best.  But a good young QB plus other good players kind of trumps that IMO, IF MT takes a step forward this year.

Nobody else really has a case.

I think after 2019 we'll have our 3 year mark and know who had best class.

Think about what Browns could conceivable have had with hindsight powers that no one else had:

1. Mahomes

2. Barnett

3. JuJu Smith  (I didn't take Njoku or B. Baker because I knew I was getting Jackson and Kittle and Cleveland needed a good WR  - hindsight powers)

4. Eddie Jackson

5. Kamara 

6. Kittle

7. Chris Carson

And they still had 3 more picks.  But all those guys were available at their original draft slots.

They should have never passed on QB.  They could have had MT, Watson or Mahomes and still had an awesome draft.  They are back on track, but they wasted 2 years.  That could have been one of if not the best draft in NFL history with that ammo and good drafting even without hindsight powers.   You didn't have to hit on all those guys, but hitting on just 3 including QB would have been huge. 

They could have traded up multiple times with all those picks too.  

Regular Season i think 10-6 is the most realistic. The problem with this team is that on offense there isn't a reliable weapon that we can count on week in and week out. Mitch was wildly inconsistent and needs to take steps forward to prove to be a franchise QB. Also on our receiving corps there isn't a single guy that can be relied upon on a given 3rd/4th down do or die play. The person I see the most upside for is Tarik Cohen with Matt Nagy given a complete off-season to build a scheme to fit a player with his unique skillset. The second and fourth quarters of this season will prove to be the toughest. To me what's most important is how well this team can perform in the playoffs. To me this will be shown by how well Mitch can perform in clutch situations. Also, if we can find a RB to fit our system it will help immensely.

The biggest problem with our offense is that we lack a reliable target to move the chains. If Mitch had a Tight End ala Dallas Clark or Jason Witten it would really make his life easier making reads/progressions.

10 hours ago, BACK2MACKSACK said:

Regular Season i think 10-6 is the most realistic. The problem with this team is that on offense there isn't a reliable weapon that we can count on week in and week out. Mitch was wildly inconsistent and needs to take steps forward to prove to be a franchise QB. Also on our receiving corps there isn't a single guy that can be relied upon on a given 3rd/4th down do or die play. The person I see the most upside for is Tarik Cohen with Matt Nagy given a complete off-season to build a scheme to fit a player with his unique skillset. The second and fourth quarters of this season will prove to be the toughest. To me what's most important is how well this team can perform in the playoffs. To me this will be shown by how well Mitch can perform in clutch situations. Also, if we can find a RB to fit our system it will help immensely.

The biggest problem with our offense is that we lack a reliable target to move the chains. If Mitch had a Tight End ala Dallas Clark or Jason Witten it would really make his life easier making reads/progressions.

I would think Cohen fits your description of a "week in week out reliable weapon." I also think Robinson is going to be an absolute star this year. It sometimes takes guys 16-20 games after an ACL to be themselves and despite some broken ribs, Robinson took off in the final game of the year.

I do think that 10 wins is about right, but if the D can somehow stay as healthy as they were in 2018, 11-12 isn't out of the question.

On 3/27/2019 at 8:13 AM, dll2000 said:

Browns will win their division, and it wont really even be close...

18 hours ago, BACK2MACKSACK said:

This team will go as far as MT can take then. He needs to improve and be more accurate. He has the work ethic but that doesnt always translate. I agree with you on TE and Shaheen needs to step up, I do not trust Burton, even though they bring different skill sets. Wims and Pattterson could be interesting this year but I see the Bears adding another another WR or TE in the draft, most likely at the TE position. It's all about Mitch though, he has the desire and the drive, he just needs to figure it all out.

Archived