Spencer Long released

turtle28

3 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

What’s the point of this?

The snap?

Spencer was playing with a torn tendon in his snapping hand. It was poor coaching by Bowles and company for having him continuing to snap. They should’ve sat him down for the year or played him at RG and had someone else play center.

Looks like Spencer Long did an excellent job double teaming the left DT and was working his way up to block the ILB on the second level when his RG took him out while blocking the RDT across the formation.

Is this supposed to be a negative on Long? 

Because I don’t see it that way.

He was getting hammered for the bad snaps up here. I thought the price to sign him was a bit high also but I guess they overpaid to make sure Darnold had a competent center to work with. Outside the snaps (and yea it was a big deal) he was definitely serviceable. Wouldn’t mind bringing him back as a LG at all. 

7 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

He was getting hammered for the bad snaps up here. I thought the price to sign him was a bit high also but I guess they overpaid to make sure Darnold had a competent center to work with. Outside the snaps (and yea it was a big deal) he was definitely serviceable. Wouldn’t mind bringing him back as a LG at all. 

Again, his snaps were bad bc he had an injured thumb not bc he forgot how to shotgun snap during the year. He had no control over them.

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He got cut after signing a four year, $28 million deal and will be 29 in the middle of the 2019 season.  I would be OK signing him as a reserve, but I wouldn't plan to start him.  

The point of signing him is to have him as part of the competition for the starting LG job, not to just give it to him. If I’m the skins I still draft a G/C type w/in the first 3 rounds and a late round guy to develop. I also re-sign Cooper and Kouandjio for depth/competition too.

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Again, his snaps were bad bc he had an injured thumb not bc he forgot how to shotgun snap during the year. He had no control over them.

I know about the thumb. If he couldn’t go he shouldn’t have played. They don’t need Darnold getting hurt chasing after ground balls (God another flashback to 2012). Was he was forced to play? who knows? Hard to believe in this day and age the Jets would force him to play knowing it could put their franchise QB in jeopardy. Whatever the reason was a team with 100 million in cap space saw Long as not worth a 3 million roster bonus. 

4 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

I know about the thumb. If he couldn’t go he shouldn’t have played. They don’t need Darnold getting hurt chasing after ground balls (God another flashback to 2012). Was he was forced to play? who knows? Hard to believe in this day and age the Jets would force him to play knowing it could put their franchise QB in jeopardy. Whatever the reason was a team with 100 million in cap space saw Long as not worth a 3 million roster bonus. 

Yeah, bad coaching decision by Bowles.

And $3 million is $3 million after all. Long had a big contract for a good but not great interior lineman. He a not worth $6 to 7 million a year. More like half that.

Archived