Maryland withdrawals effort to keep Redskins in the state near the National Harbor

turtle28

On 2/13/2019 at 10:58 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Hogan has another site that was mentioned before, but this was up near Westminster somewhere.  I am not sure if that is off the table, or even got on the table in the first place.  I thought he would be bending over backwards to keep the Redskins here, but maybe not.  It seems that VA is lukewarm at best (probably because of the raw deal Richmond has with Redskins Park right now) so DC is the only place now actively pursuing a stadium deal. 

I would be absolutely floored if the Ravens agreed to let Washington move to Westminster (it's only be 35 miles from M&T Bank Stadium to Westminster). By comparison, it is about 60-65 miles from Westminster to FedEx Field.

On 2/14/2019 at 7:20 PM, Thaiphoon said:

Also remember, Snyder owns the current Fed Ex Field land.  Nothing would stop him from tearing down the stadium and rebuilding.  While under construction, he could work out a deal to play games at M&T Bank Stadium (home of the Ravens) or at UMD-College Park or the Naval Academy.  

This is what I'm hoping he does, actually.

I doubt the Ravens agree to hosting games (too much headache colliding with their own games, especially if they end up with one team home on Sunday, the other home on Monday). Naval Academy is too small (34K). Byrd Stadium is the only one that could conceivably work (54K, same general area for the fanbase (as opposed to Annapolis or Baltimore), unlikely to have scheduling conflicts).

On 2/16/2019 at 10:18 AM, turtle28 said:

Most ppl who live in MoCo, DC, Howard, Arrundle, Charles & PG wouldn’t go to the game anymore and yes, there are more fans in Virginia but that's a huge segment of the fan base. 

The traffic is worse in Nova bc there is more people, I don't care what you say, that's a fact.

1. Depends on what you define as "Nova" because if you include all of the MD counties you list there, then no, it is not a fact that there are more people living in Northern Virginia.
  2. The traffic is bad because they didn't effectively plan for the growth of the western exurbs. If you drop a stadium out past 28 and 50, it will devastate the roads as they are not designed for that level of traffic.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:54 AM, turtle28 said:

I can't remember the exact time bc it was 15 years ago but it was probably around 2 o'clock or so mid-week. It was awful but, that could be changed with new road construction.

VAST changes in the road layout from 15 years ago.

49 minutes ago, Woz said:

Except there's the problem of lack of space to operate an existing stadium (plus parking) alongside new construction for a couple of years. If he could get say the University of Maryland to host games for a couple of years, then he can destroy FedEx Field and build DannyVerse. Of course, that means he basically has to pay out of pocket (including rent to UMD) ... something that makes my heart bleed profusely.

This is what I was thinking. Rent a stadium (U of M, or Navy's) for a few years while he rebuilds. It HAS to be easier to do than navigate the rest of the crap that he has to do. Of course, this is a last resort.

40 minutes ago, Woz said:

I doubt the Ravens agree to hosting games (too much headache colliding with their own games, especially if they end up with one team home on Sunday, the other home on Monday). Naval Academy is too small (34K). Byrd Stadium is the only one that could conceivably work (54K, same general area for the fanbase (as opposed to Annapolis or Baltimore), unlikely to have scheduling conflicts).

With the way things are going, 34k might be too large

22 minutes ago, Woz said:

VAST changes in the road layout from 15 years ago.

Also, 2 hours to get from Frederick to Ashburn sounds like he went BACK down 270, then down 495 to the Toll Road (or Rte 7) during the first part of afternoon rush hour. Like I said the route I take to get to Frederick (north on 15 ), takes me at most 45 minutes (30 minutes was fastest).

2 hours ago, Woz said:

They pushed 39,000 during an Air Force game a few years ago.  I imagine they could do some temporary additions that would add more seating- for example, adding riser seating in the south end zone where the brigade marches on, as well as adding some to the "hills" in the northern end zone.  I'm intimately familiar with the stadium, so there is a lot more they could do to accomodate people if they couldn't get Byrd Stadium or M&T Bank.  

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

With the way things are going, 34k might be too large

Annapolis is also significantly further than the geographic weight of the fanbase (pain to get to as well).

Also, while things are bad, I'm not sure they are "Chargers in LA" bad. Yet.

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Also, 2 hours to get from Frederick to Ashburn sounds like he went BACK down 270, then down 495 to the Toll Road (or Rte 7) during the first part of afternoon rush hour.

Or what you or I would call "the not-scenic route through Hell."

52 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

They pushed 39,000 during an Air Force game a few years ago.  I imagine they could do some temporary additions that would add more seating- for example, adding riser seating in the south end zone where the brigade marches on, as well as adding some to the "hills" in the northern end zone.  I'm intimately familiar with the stadium, so there is a lot more they could do to accomodate people if they couldn't get Byrd Stadium or M&T Bank.  

Even if they boosted it by a little under a third and got to 45K, it would still be the second smallest venue for an NFL franchise by a considerable margin. Also, as I said, it would be well out of the geographic center of Washington's fanbase (Annapolis is Raven country).

6 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Also, 2 hours to get from Frederick to Ashburn sounds like he went BACK down 270, then down 495 to the Toll Road (or Rte 7) during the first part of afternoon rush hour. Like I said the route I take to get to Frederick (north on 15 ), takes me at most 45 minutes (30 minutes was fastest).

I have no idea. Again, 15 years ago. I do know we took 270 to get to Fredneck. And I remember tolls but I don't remember the exact route.

17 hours ago, Woz said:

Annapolis is also significantly further than the geographic weight of the fanbase (pain to get to as well).

Also, while things are bad, I'm not sure they are "Chargers in LA" bad. Yet.

That's another good point, Annapolis is essentially Route 50 in from the west, unless someone is using back roads to sneak in.  College Park is much more suited to that kind of traffic.  But again, it will all depend on what they want at that point, and I am sure it's a last resort.  Hell, Snyder might go to Navy just to have a full stadium for the "allure" that tickets are going to be a rare find at the new stadium.  Who knows with that guy.  

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Hell, Snyder might go to Navy just to have a full stadium for the "allure" that tickets are going to be a rare find at the new stadium.  Who knows with that guy.  

If that ends up being the case, Snyder would do better to sell the team. If selling out a 35K stadium is now where this franchise is at, free it. Go sail on your monstrosity of a yacht somewhere else.

Archived