Le'Veon Bell, my go for it all mock off season

malagabears

On 2/16/2019 at 1:07 PM, Heinz D. said:

I have no idea why everyone is so hot to trade Howard. Is the consensus honestly that his play will be about the same next year? Didn't we see an uptick in the second half of the season? Shouldn't the '19 offense be better overall, even if we don't change a single player? I don't get this "dump Howard" mentality at all. The only way I'd be for that would be if it allowed us to get a pick in the second round so we could draft Montgomery or Snell...

I'm not as down on Howard as some either.  He may never be another Matt Forte as a receiver but he improved significantly from 2017 to 2018 as far as his hands go.  He's just not a real nifty route runner is all but it's something they can work with in terms of what they ask of him.

What it comes down to is would we offer to extend him beyond his rookie deal and if not would we be better off to trade him now than allow him to leave as a FA.  Opposed to that is what's he worth in trade?  If Pace has shopped him before and failed to find any offers he would accept it's also tough to believe Howard's value has improved. 

IMHO I don't believe we could get a 3rd round pick for him and I would not take less than an early to mid 4th round pick or something equivalent.  If the market isn't there then I spend a 3rd-5th round pick on a RB who may take his place in 2020 using him to replace Mizzell and Cunnigham and gradually working him into the mix as the season progresses.

I still feel the key to keeping Howard more productive is to stay with the zone scheme he thrives in and then also draft a rookie RB who is also a one cut back with excellent vision and anticipation like Howard but maybe a bit faster and a more natural receiver.  That OL has been built as a zone blocking line so why depart from that when it's what has worked?

16 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It is an interesting thought exercise. I just think we are too mortgaged even right now. 

I am thinking more about how do we sustain what we have.

I know current wisdom is to have a window and take a huge shot at it and live with the mess.

But, what if the real way to get the Super Bowl is to be in the playoffs 6-8 times in a 10 year period and increase the volume of chances.

This is where I'm at as well.  We have a good younger core group how do we keep them together?

One real problem I have with shooting the moon with one or two key players is what happens if you lose that guy?  You have millions tied up in him and no adequate replacement.  Or worse yet, you lose your QB.  Three Le'Veon Bells won't help us win a championship with Chase Daniel at QB.

I'm far more in favor of building a perennial contender as NE and GB have accomplished and in Trubisky hopefully we have the QB talent to do that with whereby giving him protection good receivers and capable backs are enough to sustain him behind a dominating defense.

Offenses can get you to a championship game but defenses typically win it and the Bears have always been about their defenses.

15 hours ago, soulman said:

This is where I'm at as well.  We have a good younger core group how do we keep them together?

One real problem I have with shooting the moon with one or two key players is what happens if you lose that guy?  You have millions tied up in him and no adequate replacement.  Or worse yet, you lose your QB.  Three Le'Veon Bells won't help us win a championship with Chase Daniel at QB.

I'm far more in favor of building a perennial contender as NE and GB have accomplished and in Trubisky hopefully we have the QB talent to do that with whereby giving him protection good receivers and capable backs are enough to sustain him behind a dominating defense.

Offenses can get you to a championship game but defenses typically win it and the Bears have always been about their defenses.

I agree. Except...I don't think Green Bay has done that....

Archived