Ranking the Top 20 Raider teams of all time

BayRaider

Thought this would be a good thread and one we haven't seen on the new forum. I also was looking at a lot of teams histories, a lot of them you can rank 7-8 really good teams... but with the Raiders you can rank 17-18 really really good teams. I suppose we should be grateful.

1. 1976 Oakland Raiders (13-1, Won Super Bowl) this team won NFL.com's greatest team of all time bracket a few years back, although not sure I agree with that. Although definitely a Top 5 team of all time.

2. 1983 Los Angeles Raiders (12-4, Won Super Bowl) amazing team and beat one of the best Super Bowl Runner Ups of all time in the '83 Redskins. And destroyed them.

3. 2000 Oakland Raiders (12-4) expecting the 1980 Raiders? Nope. This is always "one of the greatest teams to never win a ring". Grudens team was amazing and destroying teams all season long. Unfortunate Gannon was out in the conf title game against the Ravens. Who knows what would of happened.

4. 1967 Oakland Raiders (13-1, lost Super Bowl) absolute dominant team that ran into Vince Lombardi.

5. 1980 Oakland Raiders (11-5, Won Super Bowl) A Super Bowl championship team, one of the least talked about Super Bowl winning teams but when you win the Super Bowl, you're a dang good team, end of story.

6. 1968 Oakland Raiders (12-2)

7. 1969 Oakland Raiders (12-1-1)

8. 1974 Oakland Raiders (12-2) could of easily been a 3-4 ring dynasty in the 70's if it wasn't for 1) Some bad calls in the playoffs 2) Steelers. The 70's Raiders were probably the most physical defense of all time with a fun and effective vertical offense.

9. 1977 Oakland Raiders (11-3)

10. 1975 Oakland Raiders (11-3)

11. 1972 Oakland Raiders (10-3-1)

12. 2002 Oakland Raiders (11-5, lost Super Bowl)

13. 2001 Oakland Raiders (10-6)

14. 1985 Los Angeles Raiders (12-4)

15. 1984 Los Angeles Raiders (11-5)

16. 1990 Los Angeles Raiders (12-4)

17. 1973 Oakland Raiders (9-4-1)

18. 1971 Oakland Raiders  (8-4-2)

19. 1963 Oakland Raiders (10-4)

20. 2016 Oakland Raiders (12-4)

HM: 1982 Los Angeles Raiders (8-1) hard team to rank considering the short season.

So even though we tasted success recently, that team does not touch our previous teams. Hopefully we can build another dominant team like we had from 1967-1977. Cheers to the future.

Retouching this thread, I know the ‘16 Raiders you probably think are low but that team wasn’t that great and could of easily went 9-7, the point differential for a 12-4 was dreadful. Now, I might rank them my “funnest” team of all time with all the 4th QTR comebacks and absolute clutchness, but I think 18-20 range for all time Raider teams is accurate. Out of 60 years of Raider football, that defense was probably in the high 50’s. Offense was very very good and I’d rank them behind the ‘00, ‘01, ‘02, ‘83, ‘67, and ‘68 teams as 7th best offense of all time. 

Nice post BayRaider, while I can’t really speak of the 60s and 70s teams too much as I never saw them play ‘live’ but the ‘83 team I feel never gets the NFL wide recognition it deserves. As you said, they went up against a Redskins team that was sweeping all before them with such a high powered offense and annihilated them, had a great mix of offense and defense and a great and very underrated coach. It also makes me wonder how good the 2002 team could have been if they hadn’t run into the one team that knew exactly what they were running. If they’d met anyone else in that Super Bowl..............

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Nice post BayRaider, while I can’t really speak of the 60s and 70s teams too much as I never saw them play ‘live’ but the ‘83 team I feel never gets the NFL wide recognition it deserves. As you said, they went up against a Redskins team that was sweeping all before them with such a high powered offense and annihilated them, had a great mix of offense and defense and a great and very underrated coach. It also makes me wonder how good the 2002 team could have been if they hadn’t run into the one team that knew exactly what they were running. If they’d met anyone else in that Super Bowl..............

The ‘83 team doesn’t get as much recognition because of how obsessed everyone was with the ‘83 Redskins, which we destroyed. It’s a rare year where the SB Loser garners more attention even to this day. I think the Raiders were better than that Skin team and they proved it. Very strong offensive and defensive unit with great coaching. One of the most balanced teams of the 80’s. I would rank our ‘76 team as a Top 5 team ever and our ‘83 team as a Top 20 team ever. 

Yep, I'm just looking through the roster for that '83 team and there's some pretty legendary players on there, great balance to that team with a truly dominant DL, great OL, underrated secondary and back in the day when there were generally only two wideouts we had lots of receiving options.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rai/1983_roster.htm

What is also apparent is the number of really, really good players who have kind of been forgotten, guys like Christensen one of the new generation TEs way before his time and Vann McElroy who barely gets noticed but was the glue in the back and second team All Pro numerous times.

10 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yep, I'm just looking through the roster for that '83 team and there's some pretty legendary players on there, great balance to that team with a truly dominant DL, great OL, underrated secondary and back in the day when there were generally only two wideouts we had lots of receiving options.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rai/1983_roster.htm

What is also apparent is the number of really, really good players who have kind of been forgotten, guys like Christensen one of the new generation TEs way before his time and Vann McElroy who barely gets noticed but was the glue in the back and second team All Pro numerous times.

The ‘83 Raiders reminds a lot of the ‘17 Eagles, just solid in all four phases of the game (Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Coaching). 

Archived