2018 Starting Quarterback

pwny

7 minutes ago, iPwn said:

The more I think about it, the more I think I’m in the camp to go get a veteran who can help us win and push the long term decision out a year or two until we’re in a place to get the guy in the draft.

Sign Brees for a year, or trade for Alex Smith for a couple years or sign Cousins for a handful of years.

Unless you think that [insert draftee] is a great prospect (which seems to be iffy from most) and that they’ll be available wherever our 3+ wins put us, I think maybe that’s the best option for this year.

Pretty much what i was saying.  Unless we somehow can snag brees/cousins/smith theres gonna be an offense similiar to this years but perhaps with some better passing.

34 minutes ago, iPwn said:

The more I think about it, the more I think I’m in the camp to go get a veteran who can help us win and push the long term decision out a year or two until we’re in a place to get the guy in the draft.

Sign Brees for a year, or trade for Alex Smith for a couple years or sign Cousins for a handful of years.

Unless you think that [insert draftee] is a great prospect (which seems to be iffy from most) and that they’ll be available wherever our 3+ wins put us, I think maybe that’s the best option for this year.

I think that's definitely the best option, I'm just not sure if we'll be able to pull it off. Pending on how the Chiefs/Smith finish this year, he may not be available as Reid may want Mahomes to sit a bit longer. Cousins has HUGE ties to SF with Shanny who would be a great spot for him. Brees would be great but we'll see what NO does.

Feel like it may be tough not to go the rookie route, but I'd much prefer a proven commodity and not chance picking another bust and waste more years off this defense/LF...although any half way competent QB would be able to get some wins here imo if the run game/defense plays like they have so far this year through next year. Bortles is otherworldly bad this year.

27 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Pretty much what i was saying.  Unless we somehow can snag brees/cousins/smith theres gonna be an offense similiar to this years but perhaps with some better passing.

Who cares if the offense is like this year? The offense can continue to be like it is right now as long as the QB can be competent and hit gimmee throws like ALL NFL QB's should be able to do. We'd be 4-2/5-1 if Bortles could do that and I'm pretty confident in that assessment.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Who cares if the offense is like this year? The offense can continue to be like it is right now as long as the QB can be competent and hit gimmee throws like ALL NFL QB's should be able to do. We'd be 4-2/5-1 if Bortles could do that and I'm pretty confident in that assessment.

so you want to watch teams essentially play Goaline  and Loaded fronts against us as base d?

3 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

so you want to watch teams essentially play Goaline  and Loaded fronts against us as base d?

Except they wouldn't because we'd have a QB that could make easy throws that Bortles hasn't made which has caused defenses to do exactly what you are saying.

You think if we had a QB that would be able to make SOME throws would give us looks like this on first down?

We don't have to have Cousins/Brees at QB to drastically improve our situation on offense. Bortles has been horific this year which has in turned made it so defenses don't have to worry what so ever about his arm allowing for 8 men boxes constantly. 

There is literally no reason for a defense to worry about anything in the passing game. Getting someone semi-competent would do wonders.

Just now, .Buzz said:

We don't have to have Cousins/Brees at QB to drastically improve our situation on offense. Bortles has been horific this year which has in turned made it so defenses don't have to worry what so ever about his arm allowing for 8 men boxes constantly. 

There is literally no reason for a defense to worry about anything in the passing game. Getting someone semi-competent would do wonders.

getting some WRS who can catch and not lead the league in drops(i see you there Lee with your 4 drops on 40 targets) and a TE whos actually a threat(im sorry but Lewis isnt good as a pass catcher).

2 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

getting some WRS who can catch and not lead the league in drops(i see you there Lee with your 4 drops on 40 targets) and a TE whos actually a threat(im sorry but Lewis isnt good as a pass catcher).

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, iPwn said:

I'm on board too i think.  Just get us a QB who can win games sometimes, worry about the future later.  This defense could be special.  I wanna see where this goes.

And i hate all the QB prospects this year also.

I think the ideal situation is we end up signing someone like Garoppolo for a reasonable deal and he ends up being *the guy*. Problem is, there isn’t a lot he has on film, so he could just as easily be a Rob Johnson as he could be a Mark Brunell.

2 hours ago, iPwn said:

I think the ideal situation is we end up signing someone like Garoppolo for a reasonable deal and he ends up being *the guy*. Problem is, there isn’t a lot he has on film, so he could just as easily be a Rob Johnson as he could be a Mark Brunell.

im like 90% coninvced the pats will tag Jimmy.  apparently they are set to have a good amount of capspace and they might not want to look for and develop another brady Successor potentially. 

6 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

im like 90% coninvced the pats will tag Jimmy.  apparently they are set to have a good amount of capspace and they might not want to look for and develop another brady Successor potentially. 

They will have about 18M in space. They can maneuver some pieces and rework some deals to get him under the cap with the tag, but they also have Nate Solder and Malcolm Butler that they will want to sign as well. Makes the tag much less likely.

27 minutes ago, iPwn said:

They will have about 18M in space. They can maneuver some pieces and rework some deals to get him under the cap with the tag, but they also have Nate Solder and Malcolm Butler that they will want to sign as well. Makes the tag much less likely.

i doubt they will resign Butler. u saw how ugly it was with him and BB. hes a goner.  they drafted this Kid Antonio Garica Last year in the 3rd round to potentially be Solders Heir. i think they could let him walk.  they can clear 5 million by cutting Dwayne Allen.  looking at their Lber corps and the salaries for some of those guys(yikes).   Kyle van Noy, Shea McClellin, and David Harris combine to make like 10 million.  im sure they will consider cutting some fat from there. 

3 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

they can clear 5 million by cutting Dwayne Allen.  looking at their Lber corps and the salaries for some of those guys(yikes).   Kyle van Noy, Shea McClellin, and David Harris combine to make like 10 million.  im sure they will consider cutting some fat from there. 

Yes. I said they can clear money. The tag is still $22M. And they would need to replace roster spots lost and spend on the draft. They’re not going to go in on Brady’s potential last year with nobody as CB2, TE2, and a weak LB corps.

Also - Van Noy’s entire 2018 salary is guaranteed, there’s no point in cutting him.

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

Yes. I said they can clear money. The tag is still $22M. And they would need to replace roster spots lost and spend on the draft. They’re not going to go in on Brady’s potential last year with nobody as CB2, TE2, and a weak LB corps.

Also - Van Noy’s entire 2018 salary is guaranteed, there’s no point in cutting him.

brady always seems to take less money then what he should. i think he might take a restructure out his deal as he has a 22 million cap hit. 

to me if the Pats were gonna let Grap walk they should have kept Brissett as a 3rd qb and traded grap out for a higher price then brissett. 

i dont know where you got this van noy salary gurantee but Sportac doesnt have a listed dead cap number for him.  

Archived