Kparty15's (Pre-Combine) 2019 Mock Offseason

Kparty15

*Disclaimer:  This mock is based off pre-combine rankings.  I know my cap space numbers aren’t perfect and they are just a rough estimate for the most part.  I used sportrac.com for my estimations.

-2019 NFL Salary Cap – $189 million

-2018 Rollover Cap - $4 million

-Minnesota Vikings Top 51 Contracts – $187 million

-Estimated Salary Cap Space For Top 51 Contracts (Start Of Offseason) – $6 million

Cuts

----------------------------------------------------

S       Andrew Sendejo (Saves $5 million)

Estimated Salary Cap Space After Cuts – $11 million

Expiring Contracts Leaving

QB     Trevor Siemian

RB     Latavius Murray

RB     Ameer Abdullah

OG     Tom Compton

DT     Tom Johnson

CB     Marcus Sherels

S       George Iloka

Extensions/Restructures

WR     Adam Theilen (+$0)

Adam Theilen is well deserving of a contract raise given his performance over the past few years. The idea that I had for an extension was to give him about a $3 million raise and a few more years added to his contract. I’m imagining that his raise wouldn’t take affect until next year when Kyle Rudolph’s $7 million comes off the books. I would also assume that Kyle Rudolph will be able to be resigned on his next contract for several million less than he is making this year. Either way as of now I am not planning on either of those moves affecting this years salary cap.

DE     Everson Griffen (+$4 million)

Since there is only a $1 million cap hit for cutting Griffen and no certainty that a team would offer him a contract with very much money guaranteed because of his mental health questions he restructures down to $7.5M per year saving the Vikings about $4 million in cap space.

TE     Kyle Rudolph (+$3.5 million)

Kyle Rudolph is another player that has no cap hit if he is cut and he is in the last year of his contract. Although some people don’t love him, Rudolph is still a very valuable player to the Vikings and an important part of their locker room. As Rudolph would like to stay with the Vikings he decides to restructure his contract from around $7.5 million to around $4 million freeing up about $3.5 million in cap space. I’m also anticipating Rudolph signing reasonable team friendly extensions in the future to stay with the team.

OL     Mike Remmers (+$3 million)

After his play over the past few seasons Remmers has shown that he is only a fringe starter and has not been living up to his current salary. He wasn’t very good at RG last year, but there also aren’t any real OG upgrades in free agency this year so it makes sense to keep him around on a cheaper deal. Remmers does have the ability to play 3 OL spots and maybe he will be better at OG after playing there for last season. There is only a $1.8 million cap hit for releasing Remmers this season, which isn’t much, but that gives the Vikings negotiating room to either shop him or restructure his deal. Remmers prefers to stay with a championship caliber team and decides to restructure his contract from about $6.5 million per year to about $3.5 million per year saving about $3 million in cap space.

Estimated Salary Cap Space After Extensions/Restructures – $21.5 million

Trades

Riley Reiff (+$11.5 million) (Traded to Houston for pick 3.86)

The Vikings trade Riley Reiff to the Houston Texans for a 3rd round pick (3.86).  This move saves the Vikings about $11.5 million in cap space. The idea here is that the front office is comfortable enough going into free agency with Brian O’Neill, Mike Remmers, Rashod Hill, and Aviante Collins as they’re OT’s and they will plan to bring in a free agent OT to compete with O’Neill at LT. This is done with the assumption that the Vikings are comfortable enough with Brian O’Neill’s ability to play LT even though ideally they would be able to bring in an upgrade at LT and leave O’Neill at RT. There have been rumors that the Vikings are considering moving Reiff to OG next year, but that might not be the best decision since there is no guarantee that he will be any better than Remmers at OG and he will be making way too much money to be mediocre at that position. It is very likely that one of a handful of good OT prospects will be available at our first round draft pick this year, some project to LT and some project to RT, but O’Neill’s ability to play on both sides will give us flexibility. This is essentially a salary dump trade, but some additional benefits are that this will open up a roster spot allowing us a chance to upgrade OT, it gives us an additional draft pick to allow us to have more ammo to be able to move around in the draft, and it moves Reiff to a team that already needed OT help which in turn could puss a quality OL further down in the draft.

Estimated Salary Cap Space After Extensions/Restructures – $33 million

Expiring Contracts Resigning

FB     CJ Ham (ERFA)

WR    Aldrick Robinson ($1 million per year)

OL     Nick Easton ($1 million per year)

OL     Brett Jones ($1 million per year)

OT     Rashod Hill (RFA)

UT     Sheldon Richardson ($10 million per year)

LB      Anthony Barr ($12 million per year)

S       Anthony Harris (RFA)

P       Matt Wile (ERFA)

K       Dan Bailey ($1.5 million per year)

Estimated Salary Cap Space After Resigning’s – $6.5 million

Free Agency

Cameron Flemming, OT, 6’6”, 320 lbs, 26 years old, Stanford

-($2 million per year)

Cameron Flemming has starting experience at both LT and RT.  He is brought in to ensure our OT depth and will compete for a starting spot at RT with Remmers and Hill.  He can also be a backup to the LT with the assumption that Brian O’Neill will be the starting LT at this point in the offseason.  I think I would’ve preferred to bring in an OG free agent, but there really isn’t much out there in this year’s free agent class.  If Remmers gets beat out at RT then he can at least be a versatile backup or slide back to OG and hopefully be better after a year of starting there.

Estimated Salary Cap Space (After Free Agency) - -$4.5 million

Draft Picks traded and Compensatory Picks received prior to the draft

The Minnesota Vikings traded pick 5.145 to the Denver Broncos for QB Trevor Siemian.

The Minnesota Vikings traded pick 7.208 to the New York Giants for OL Brett Jones.

The Minnesota Vikings receive three Compensatory picks, a 6th for Teddy Bridgewater, a 7th for Tramaine Brock. and a 7th for Shamar Stephen.

*The Vikings were also supposed to get a 3rd round compensatory pick, but they will not receive that since the Arizona Cardinals cut Sam Bradford prior to week 10; Bradford was cut week 9.

Vikings Draft Picks

1.18 (900)

2.50 (400)

3.81 (185)

3.86 (160) (From Houston)

4.114 (68)

6.176 (20.6)

6.Compensatory Pick (15)

7.Compensatory Pick (2)

7.Compensatory Pick (2)

NFL Draft

1.18. Jonah Williams, OT, 6’5”, 302 lbs, 21 years old, Alabama

Alternate Pick:  Andre Dillard

Trade:  The Minnesota Vikings trade picks 2.50 (400), 3.86 (160), and one of our 7.Compensatory (2) picks = (564) to the Oakland Raiders for picks 2.35 (550) and 7.194 (13.4) = (563.4).

2.35. Dalton Risner, OG/OT, 6’5”, 309 lbs, 24 years old, Kansas State

Alternate Pick:  Chris Lindstrom

3.81. Tre Lamar, LB, 6’4”, 256 lbs, 21 years old, Clemson

Alternate Pick:  Germaine Pratt

4.114. Mecole Hardman, WR, 5’11”, 183 lbs, 21 years old, Georgia

6.176. Marvell Tell, S, 6’2”, 194 lbs, 23 years old, USC

6.Compensatory. Clayton Thorson, QB, 6’4”, 225 lbs, 23 years old, Northwestern

6.194. Dax Raymond, TE, 6’5”, 245 lbs, 24 years old, Utah State

7.Compensatory. Albert Huggins, NT, 6’3”, 315 lbs, 22 years old, Clemson

53 Man Roster

Offense (25):

QB: Kirk Cousins // Kyle Sloter

RB: Dalvin Cook // Mike Boone // Roc Thomas

FB: CJ Ham

TE: Kyle Rudolph // David Morgan // Tyler Conklin

WR: Stefon Diggs // Mecole Hardman // Chad Beebe

WR: Adam Thielen // Laquon Treadwell // Aldrick Robinson

LT: Jonah Williams // Cameron Fleming

LG: Nick Easton // Danny Isidora

C:   Pat Elflein // Brett Jones

RG: Dalton Risner // Mike Remmers

RT: Brian O’Neill //Rashod Hill

Defense (25):

DE: Everson Griffen // Stephen Weatherly

DE: Danielle Hunter // Tashawn Bower

NT: Linval Joseph // Jaleel Johnson

UT: Sheldon Richardson // Jalyn Holmes // Ifeadi Odenigbo

SLB: Anthony Barr // Tre Lamar

MLB: Eric Kendricks // Ben Gedeon // Kentrell Brothers

WLB: Eric Wilson // Devante Downs

CB: Xavier Rhodes // Mike Hughes // Holton Hill

CB: Trae Waynes // Mackenzie Alexander

FS: Harrison Smith // Marvell Tell

SS: Anthony Harris // Jayron Kearse

Special Teams (3):

LS: Kevin McDermott

P: Ryan Quigley

K: Kai Forbath

RS:  Mecole Hardman

Practice Squad (10):

QB  Clayton Thorson

WR  Brandon Zylstra

TE  Dax Raymond

C    Cornelius Edison

OT  Aviante Collins

DE  Ade Aruna

DL  Hercules Mata’afa

NT  Albert Huggins

LB  Reshard Cliett

CB  Craig James

My understanding of what a contract restructure is does not line up with its usage here. A restructure doesn't cost a player money. The team cannot restructure Rudolph's contract to save money without also giving him an extension. Using that term to describe Rudolph accepting a pay cut makes me wonder whether the "restructure" for Griffen and others is really a pay cut too. 

It's an interesting mock offseason though. I would rather use Tom Compton as the backup G with some ability to play tackle than Mike Remmers but things like that are really just personal preference.

I could see trading Reiff if the team gets an OT in round 1. It would be hard for the team to pull the trigger on that trade before they are on the clock in round 1 and sure they can get their guy.

3 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

My understanding of what a contract restructure is does not line up with its usage here. A restructure doesn't cost a player money. The team cannot restructure Rudolph's contract to save money without also giving him an extension. Using that term to describe Rudolph accepting a pay cut makes me wonder whether the "restructure" for Griffen and others is really a pay cut too.

Yeah I guess the financials are never my strong point when I make a mock and that’s why all of my numbers are estimated and, but I still like to include them to give myself a better idea of if things could work out or not.

I'm not the best with the cap things either, I'm trying to work through my own off-season mock. But overthecap (OTC) has a Reiff trade freeing up $5.1M. With that being said, and how you drafted, I think I could get on board with that trade and subsequent #1 selection.

I do NOT like Tre Lamar in the 3rd. I think there are other LBers in that range who would fit our defense better (K. Hodge, V. Joseph, and T. Hanks), I guess I'm also not really a fan of drafting any LBer in the 3rd since you resigned Barr. I'd look at adding our new #3 WR as you can still get impact players in this round.

I like what you've done to address the OL, if J. Williams struggles at T he can always move inside to LG. However, I agree with @Cearbhall that Remmers should be cut, but that's personal preference as he stated.

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I'm not the best with the cap things either, I'm trying to work through my own off-season mock. But overthecap (OTC) has a Reiff trade freeing up $5.1M. With that being said, and how you drafted, I think I could get on board with that trade and subsequent #1 selection.

I do NOT like Tre Lamar in the 3rd. I think there are other LBers in that range who would fit our defense better (K. Hodge, V. Joseph, and T. Hanks), I guess I'm also not really a fan of drafting any LBer in the 3rd since you resigned Barr. I'd look at adding our new #3 WR as you can still get impact players in this round.

I like what you've done to address the OL, if J. Williams struggles at T he can always move inside to LG. However, I agree with @Cearbhall that Remmers should be cut, but that's personal preference as he stated.

I guess I didn’t realize that the Reiff trade would only free up $5 million.  It might be worth keeping him if it’s only that much money.  At that point we probably wouldn’t be able to afford both Barr and Richardson.  If that were the case I would probably take a DT in the 2nd and then target someone like Kaleb McGary in the 3rd who might not have the footwork to play OT, but could be a monster run blocking OG.

37 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I guess I didn’t realize that the Reiff trade would only free up $5 million.  It might be worth keeping him if it’s only that much money.  At that point we probably wouldn’t be able to afford both Barr and Richardson.  If that were the case I would probably take a DT in the 2nd and then target someone like Kaleb McGary in the 3rd who might not have the footwork to play OT, but could be a monster run blocking OG.

People that understand the cap better can correct me if I'm wrong but here is how I understand it.

When we signed Reiff in 2017 we gave him an $11M signing bonus which is pro-rated against the salary cap over the length of the contract, in this case 5 years. Each year, $2.2M of said signing bonus accounts as part of the cap hit the Vikings take on for Reiff. Since we're trading him the rest of that signing bonus gets accelerated onto the current years cap and that is how we get the $6.6M in dead money while only freeing up $5.1M

$5.1M (cap space gained) = $11.7M (2019 cap hit) - $6.6M (pro-rated signing bonus remaining)

Very good explanation.

Now, if the guaranteed money in Reiff's contract were guaranteed salary instead of a signing bonus, his new team would take that on because it hasn't been paid out yet.  The signing bonus has already been paid to Reiff, so any cap space from that bonus we are responsible for no matter how Reiff gets moved.

If this happened it would be the ultimate, nice job.  Would be amazing to get Jonah Williams and Risner in the same draft but is just a fantasy.  I doubt Risner would fall to the 35th pick much less the 2nd round.  So that to me is not really likely or even possible.  Would love it though but really any OL just get one or two and figure it out, sure might not work but it is an absolute need.

Fleming I would not mind in free agency but I seriously doubt we get him.  Want to talk cuts we HAVE TO cut Remmers, he is a total waste and is getting paid way more than what he is worth.  

In terms of the other picks Tre Lamar I like but I would not like him on the Vikings, I am not a huge Kendricks fan but he is much better than Tre Lamar who is basically just a physical specimen and still has a lot of work to do with his game.  Pratt I think would be a better fit for the Vikings who could play ILB or OLB and is decent in coverage as well.  Hardman in the 4th I would not be a huge fan of, kid is ok and has return potential but as a WR he is limited and kind of fits a role we already have filled, I would rather get a big strong and fast WR than a little quick WR.  

Tell is a decent safety and I would not mind him, would be a decent pickup in the 6th.  Thorson I would love to have that late as well, good third QB no doubt and have Solter the backup project guy behind Cousins.  Dax Raymond I would like also as a TE prospect, honestly though I would rather have a better blocking TE than him and they are out there.  Morgan is good but is injured a lot and doubt we resign him will long term will see.  Huggins has the size and the build but not sure how good he would be if he was not on Clemson, was never super impressed with his play as a backup but at that late of a pick would be a decent value.  

I think the Vikings need to address the DE or DT position as well, they are some what weak and Griffen and Joseph are not getting any younger and last year both played pretty ehh.  I would not mind getting a talented DL that drops in the 2nd after getting a OL in the 1st round.  Picking up a safety at some point makes sense also as does getting a WR possibly late.  

I would not mind honestly if say a talented DE dropped like Clelin Ferrell or Zach Allen and take them in the 1st round and 2nd round steal Connor McGovern.  I would also love to get a big physical WR like Jamal Custis or Jazz Ferguson later rounds 6th or 7th would be great.  And if one was going for a WR a little earlier than that I would like Jalen Hurd former Tennessee WR but has transitioned well as a WR and is great after the catch and could be a hell of a third down pass catching RB as well.  Getting a safety like Andrew Wingard would be great as well but does stink he might not get a chance to play a ton but his tackling ability and versatility I really like and could be around in the 2nd-4th rounds.  Also would love a DE like Charles Omenihu in the 2nd but doubt he would fall that far, probably is late 1st round or 2nd round for him.  Not to mention get a big physical freak show TE like Josh Oliver in the 4th would be great, replacement for Rudolph and has size and great athletic ability and upside.

Archived