BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

4 hours ago, Whicker said:

The fact that this has been ignored is a little strange. This one has NOTHING to do with BDL or my team or your team or anything relevant to BDL. It instead uses objective data to show why a 12/32 aka 6/16 is a good playoff structure.

Do you have any examples of this? I think PR's gameplans last year are about as bad as we'll get in this regard and they were plenty acceptable.

Gotham gave up halfway through the season despite being in the thick of the playoff race. You, MD4L, and JLash put out quality gameplans even after being eliminated.

I've said it before in mafia and I'll say it again here. The activity level of someone is much, much, much more indicative of what's going on with them IRL.

This entire point has been ignored.

I would be more than happy to go through this weekend and flesh this out in way more detail if you all are still not convinced

2 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

Well the basis for you original argument was to eliminate teams 5-8 was that they get blown out and thus don't deserve to be there .  A counterargument could be made that you the two seed got blown out so you didn't deserve to be there and he the seven seed did 

So your counterargument is that one team who didn't deserve to be in the playoffs (argument FOR reduction) beat a team that therefore also did not deserve to be in the playoffs (argument FOR reduction) so therefore both teams deserve to make it?

2 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

Also not sure how you can be so for how the NFL schedules for parity and be against how the NFL does playoffs which the NFL does to promote parity 

Lol?

What the hell. The NFL has 6 playoff teams per 16 teams. We have 8 playoff teams per 16 teams. I am arguing for fewer teams.

I'm being trolled

Just now, Whicker said:

Lol?

What the hell. The NFL has 6 playoff teams per 16 teams. We have 8 playoff teams per 16 teams. I am arguing for fewer teams.

I'm being trolled

I'm for fewer teams. I mean this isn't  March Madness. 

You are going all over the place in these responses. You are letting your mind flow all over the place. Stop. Collect your breath.

In one concise post (not 50 different posts) put your proposal as laid out and reasons why. 

2 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Lol?

I'm being trolled

I understand that.

My reservations come from not knowing whether decreasing the number of playoff teams will improve overall quality and interaction as teams vie for the playoffs or detract from it as teams are eliminated earlier.  

Let's think about this the OTHER way. What if we had 6 playoff teams last year?

Do we somehow not have a deserving champion? Was Hockey the only possible winner last year and any system that disallowed him to win his championship flawed? Let's start with this

Just now, Whicker said:

I'm making sure people understand my argument because "hur dur Hawaii won as a 7th seed" is truly irrelevant to anything I'm saying

There will always be outlier teams. Outliers are not statistically significant. Typically an outlier team wins when thry get healthy at the end of the season. I was an outlier team last season. I went on a win streak at the end of the seasom after being winless the first 9 games? 

Your overall thought has merit, but you are spastic right now and we are losing vision on the actual point. Reel it in.

1 minute ago, PR said:

There will always be outlier teams. Outliers are not statistically significant. Typically an outlier team wins when thry get healthy at the end of the season. I was an outlier team last season. I went on a win streak at the end of the seasom after being winless the first 9 games? 

Your overall thought has merit, but you are spastic right now and we are losing vision on the actual point. Reel it in.

6 hours ago, Whicker said:

We have an 8 team playoff hence why I want a discussion

My proposal is to make it where we don't have 50% of the teams make the playoffs. My proposal is that we actually have drama at the end of the year in the playoff race instead of everyone who wanted to make it making it. My proposal is that we actually have a meaningful first round of playoffs where games aren't decided before they're played.

#2 OKC vs #7 Hawaii - 8-2

#1 Orlando vs #8 Long Beach - 11-2

#3 Rome vs #6 Ivory Coast - 13-1

#4 Seoul vs #5 Louisiana - 9-3

The first round of our playoffs already do not exist. The games are determined before writeups are sent in.

Parity does not exist in this league. We do not have a system of determining randomness for outcomes that differ from expectations. The regular season is well enough time to determine legitimate contenders, cinderella stories, and bad teams. One extra round of playoffs does nothing to alter who the best teams are that year.

What team "missed" the playoffs this year. As in, what legitimate contender did we have to say "tough ****, better luck next year" to?

Not one.

Gotham gave up half way through the year and he knew he wasn't going to make it.

Camden and Berlin had QB issues and knew they weren't going to make it.

Sydney and Portland were among the worst teams last year and knew they weren't going to make it.

Cuba? Cuba is the only team that was disappointed by their regular season performance last year IMO

I'm afraid to really comment on this because it was my team involved and I don't want to sound salty.

But Hawaii did not deserve to win that game. They fielded THREE TOTAL CORNERBACKS against a team who's fourth WR is a #1 WR in the NFL. The only reason Hawaii won was because of Cam Newton's injury. That is the only reason. If Newton had been healthy, the score of the game would have equally as lopsided, and the argumentation would have been the same.

Hawaii should have missed the playoffs last year. Week 1 they made a major coaching error that cost them a winnable game. IMO, Hawaii should look back at that and say "damn, if I had just done a little thing different, I would have made the playoffs and maybe won a championship!"

Hawaii, IMO, is not at all a reason why a 7 seed should make it

Do you have any examples of this? I think PR's gameplans last year are about as bad as we'll get in this regard and they were plenty acceptable.

Gotham gave up halfway through the season despite being in the thick of the playoff race. You, MD4L, and JLash put out quality gameplans even after being eliminated.

I've said it before in mafia and I'll say it again here. The activity level of someone is much, much, much more indicative of what's going on with them IRL.

3 hours ago, Whicker said:

What team do you think I am?

Also keep in mind BDL used to have 18 teams. An 8 team playoff made sense because it was close to that 35-40% number. Now that we've contracted two teams, it only makes sense to contract the playoffs. 

50% making the playoffs is not healthy. I'd like to hear a counter argument for why

11 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Concise.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

In whatever facet of season length we have we should shrink the field from 8 to 4 or 6. This will decrease the percentage of teams making it into the field while promoting competitiveness to be able to make the field.

From my vision a 6 would look like:

#2&3 from one conference

versus

#2&3 from the other conference.

#1 would have a first round BYE

Then we do Conference Round versus #1 seed followed by championship.

4 team playoff

#1 vs #2 in one conference

#1 vs #2 in other conference

In either scenario I believe it would be better for the triad conferences to perhaps merge into and East and West via the NBA as it would be based off best record versus being the least ****ty team in a conference and making it in.

16 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I understand that.

My reservations come from not knowing whether decreasing the number of playoff teams will improve overall quality and interaction as teams vie for the playoffs or detract from it as teams are eliminated earlier.  

I'm doing nothing Sunday. Sunday I will carefully go through my thought process on why this will not happen. I will link to games and everything

4 minutes ago, Whicker said:

I'm doing nothing Sunday. Sunday I will carefully go through my thought process on why this will not happen. I will link to games and everything

You realize how furious/heartbroken I will be if we adopt this and I finish 7th?

3 minutes ago, PR said:

Concise.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

In whatever facet of season length we have we should shrink the field from 8 to 4 or 6. This will decrease the percentage of teams making it into the field while promoting competitiveness to be able to make the field.

From my vision a 6 would look like:

#2&3 from one conference

versus

#2&3 from the other conference.

#1 would have a first round BYE

Then we do Conference Round versus #1 seed followed by championship.

4 team playoff

#1 vs #2 in one conference

#1 vs #2 in other conference

In either scenario I believe it would be better for the triad conferences to perhaps merge into and East and West via the NBA as it would be based off best record versus being the least ****ty team in a conference and making it in.

Interesting I never thought of realigning into conferences.

My vision was keep the divisions, the top in each division go. If 6 (or 5) teams is the play, then we would add wildcards to account for the Louisianas of the world that just happened to not win their division (with a bye for the top X seeds as necessary)

Yes, decreasing the amount of playoff teams will promote better end of season and playoff games IMO.

Archived