CJ Mosley Not Expected To Be Tagged--Sign Him?

Just Want A Title

I was really surprised to learn that the Ravens will not use the Franchise Tag on CJ Mosely.    

https://sports.yahoo.com/landon-collins-cj-mosley-among-surprising-players-not-expected-to-get-franchise-tag-232917807.html

If I had to pick between signing Trey Flowers and CJ Mosley I would pick Mosley.  We could shift Jarrad Davis outside where he might be a better fit anyway.  I hope The Lions are ultra aggressive in signing him.

Spotrac expects Mosley and (Landon) Collins to wind up with about $9M each. Flowers is expected to be about $17M - $18M. I probably would be more inclined to grab Mosley and Collins, moving Davis outside and upgrading the back end for the same money.

What do you guys think about Eric Weddle? He would bring the leadership to the back end that the team is said to be looking for. I don't expect that he would cost very much (maybe $3M?). Even if we grab Collins, we could roll with Weddle, Collins and Diggs with Walker subbing in (and developing for an additional year).

Weddle is pretty old.  There are a lot of quality free agent safeties this year.  If we were looking for a starter, I would sign Tre Boston or Avery Amos.  Marchus Gilchrist might be good as a 3rd safety.  I heard Tashaun Gipson might be available in a trade.  He could be a nice addition if the salary and trade details can be worked out.

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Weddle is pretty old.  There are a lot of quality free agent safeties this year.  If we were looking for a starter, I would sign Tre Boston or Avery Amos.  Marchus Gilchrist might be good as a 3rd safety.  I heard Tashaun Gipson might be available in a trade.  He could be a nice addition if the salary and trade details can be worked out.

I'd prefer to stay away from a trade, especially with the deep safety class. I remember some of the top guys from last year took a long time to find a place and it was for relatively cheap. The position seems to be down-valued for some reason.

Archived