Moretti's post combine mock

moretti19

Cut:

Tramon Williams

Restructure:

Nick Perry: Perry agrees to restructure his contract to a more favorable number with higher incentive possibilities.

Resigned:

All  RFAs and ERFAs except Brice

Breeland: 2/15

1079855776.jpeg&

Jordan Hicks, ILB, Eagles

Hicks’ production was missed sorely when he lost time time to Achilles and calf injuries last season. He is a great clean-up man against the run and can get to the passer, too. (Age: 26). Hicks and Martinez could form one of the best linebacker duo's in the league. 

ap-jordan-hicks-eagles.jpg

Ezekiel Ansah, DE, Lions. Age: 30. 
Ezekiel Ansah is an extremely talented edge rusher, but he can't stay healthy. He hasn't played a full season since 2015. He also turns 30 this off season, which is not ideal. Packers offer a fair deal with high incentive options.

usa-today-8232938.0.jpg

Eric Weddle:

No one has said Weddle performs at an All-Pro level. At 34, his speed and quickness have diminished, and he’s no longer the soundest tackler. But his IQ is towering and, more importantly, so is his confidence. That has made him the most daring and creative pre-snap disguise artist in football. His willingness to get out of position pre-snap and change his—or a teammate’s—assignment on the fly gives Baltimore’s defense its trademark deceptiveness.Eric-Weddle-Ravens-USA-Today.jpg

NFL Draft:

Clemson_logo.gif Clelin Ferrell*, 3-4OLB, Clemson 
Height: 6-5. Weight: 265. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.77. 
Projected Round (2019): 1. 

2/16/19: Ferrell recorded 55 tackles with 11.5 sacks, 19.5 tackles for a loss, four passes batted and three forced fumbles during 2018. Returning to school for 2018 looks like it was a wise decision on his part, because he improved in his run defense and was more stout at the point of attack. However, Ferrell did not as look as fast and explosive over the course of the season. As a result, some team sources are projecting Ferrell as a mid- to late first-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

clelin-ferrell-clemson.jpg

RD1 #30

MississippiState_logo.gif Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State 
Height: 5-11. Weight: 205. Arm: 31.13. Hand: 9.5. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.45. 
Projected Round (2019): 1-2. 

2/9/19: Abram totaled 99 tackles with two interceptions, five passes broken up, three sacks and nine tackles for a loss in 2018. Sources were impressed with Abram in 2018 and say he plays the game the right way. He is a physical enforcer in the middle of the field who is a good run defender and functional in pass coverage. He can be an asset in pass coverage in the middle of the field and played some nickel. Abram could help in coverage on slot receivers and tight ends. One source said that Abram reminds him of former Texas A&M safety Justin Evans, a second-round pick of Tampa Bay in the 2017 NFL Draft.

7815290.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

RD2:

MississippiState_logo.gif Jeffery Simmons*, DT, Mississippi State 
Height: 6-4. Weight: 301. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.95. 
Projected Round (2019): 1-2. 

2/16/19: Simmons recorded 63 tackles with 17 tackles for a loss, two sacks, one forced fumble and four passes batted in 2018. He played well despite facing a ton of double teams. Unfortunately for Simmons, he suffered a devastating blow during combine preparation, tearing an ACL. That injury could cost him some of, if not all of, his rookie season in the NFL. Before the injury, he was a likely top-20 pick. If team evaluators are comfortable with Simmons off the field and his rehab projection, he still could be a first-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, but it isn't out of the question for him to slip to Day 2. 

usa_today_11272211.jpg

RD3

OklahomaState_logo.gif Justice Hill*, RB, Oklahoma State 
Height: 5-10. Weight: 185. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.50. 
Projected Round (2019): 2-3. 

3/7/19: At the combine, Hill ripped off a blazing fast 40, but did not finish the workout. Still, he could be the top speed back in the 2019 NFL Draft. Hill averaged 5.9 yards per carry in 2018 for 930 yards with nine touchdowns. Also, he made 13 receptions for 68 yards. Oklahoma State did not get Hill the ball as much as it should have. 

There is no doubt that Hill is a natural runner and is very talented. Perhaps the best traits that set Hill apart are his first-step quickness and his burst to get to the second level of the defense. On top of his speed, Hill has good feet with cutting ability to zig zag through the defense. He plays with good knee bend and runs behind his pads, which helps him finish runs well by falling forward. Via patience and vision, Hill lets holes develop before darting downfield. On top of his running ability, Hill is a nice outlet receiver who runs quality routes and makes catches with his hands.

hqdefault.jpg

RD4:

Maryland_logo.gif Darnell Savage, S, Maryland 
Height: 5-11. Weight: 199. Arm: 30.63. Hand: 9. 

Projected Round (2019): 3-4. 

2/9/19: Savage played really well for the Terrapins in 2018, almost helping them pull off an upset over Ohio State. Maryland's defense did a nice job in the early going of holding the Buckeyes' play-makers in check, and Savage was a key part of that. In 2018, Savage totaled 52 tackles with four interceptions and two passes broken up. He does not have great size, but he makes up for it with quickness and instincts. Savage also has the versatility to play some nickel cornerback. 

terps17-darnell-savage-jr..jpg

Rd4 (Redskins)

Elon_logo.gif Olisaemeka Udoh, OT, Elon 
Height: 6-5. Weight: 336. 
Projected 40 Time: 5.30. 
Projected Round (2019): 4-6. 

2/9/19: Despite being from a small school, Udoh was one of the most impressive players in the offensive-versus-defensive line one-on-ones at the East-West Shrine. He really impressed with his strong anchor, upper body strength, and heavy hands. His heavy hands made it very tough for defensive linemen to shed his blocks. 

The 6-foot-5, 336-pound Udoh has good size for tackle or guard in the NFL. He will need to work on his feet and improve his ability to handle speed rushers, but he has the potential to be a pro offensive lineman with an NFL build. In speaking to team sources, they think that Udoh has the potential to stay at tackle in the NFL. They feel that he could be a fourth- or fifth-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft after his impressive week at the East-West Shrine, and Udoh's strong performance earned him an invitation to the Senior Bowl.

OliUdoh.0.jpg

RD5:

Maryland_logo.gif Derwin Gray, G, Maryland 
Height: 6-4. Weight: 336. 
Projected 40 Time: 5.25. 

2/9/19: Gray missed the start of the season due to his continued recovery from offseason surgery. He returned to the field but did not earn an invitation to a top all-star game. 

Gray was Maryland's starter at left tackle in 2017 and did a solid job on the blind side. He has pretty good athleticism for a thick-bodied blocker, and he uses his size to be effective in the ground game. In speaking to team sources, they are projecting Gray to the inside at guard and have him as a candidate to graded for the first four rounds of the 2019 NFL Draft entering the 2018 season.

usa_today_9557151.0.jpg

RD6:

LSU_logo.gif Foster Moreau, TE, LSU 
Height: 6-4. Weight: 250. Arm: 33.75. Hand: 9.88. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.84. 

3/7/19: Moreau earned an invitation to the Senior Bowl because of his skills as a blocker. He had a decent week in Mobile, but he is more of a blocking tight end for the NFL. Moreau does not fit as a receiving weapon in the NFL, but he could be a Y tight end who helps in the ground game, plus short-yardage and goal-line situations. Moreau had 22 catches for 272 yards and two touchdowns in 2018. As a junior, he totaled 24 receptions for 278 yards and three scores. Moreau helped himself at the combine by running much faster than expected.

900351018.jpg.0.jpg

RD7:

UTChattanooga_logo.gif Kareem Orr, CB, Chattanooga 
Height: 5-11. Weight: 195. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.50. 
Projected Round (2019): 7-FA. 

2/9/19: In 2018, Orr totaled 45 tackles with four interceptions and six passes breakup. 

8/29/18: Orr totaled 36 tackles with an interception and three passes broken up for 2017. He had a breakout freshman year for Arizona State with six interceptions while also chipping in 38 tackles and two breakups. In 2016, he recorded 53 stops with five breakups and one interception. Orr transferred to Chattanooga for personal reasons after his sophomore season

PV2_9341.JPG

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2019CB.php#r0ojpvrFopetGZyx.99

Picks in the 2nd,3rd,4th rounds sold it for me.

I'm going back and forth over Burns and Ferrell. I loved Burns combine (and at 240+lbs) and his production, but I also love that Ferrell has the power element that Burns lacks (I wanted Davenport over Landry last year for the same reason). Why was Breeland the only RFA/ERFA not re-signed ?

5 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Picks in the 2nd,3rd,4th rounds sold it for me.

I'm going back and forth over Burns and Ferrell. I loved Burns combine (and at 240+lbs) and his production, but I also love that Ferrell has the power element that Burns lacks (I wanted Davenport over Landry last year for the same reason). Why was Breeland the only RFA/ERFA not re-signed ?

I have a feeling Burns will be a top 10 pick. Also, I have Breeland being resigned in this mock. 

I’m still not convinced Ferrel will be able to transition to OLB in a 34.

Having watched several Miss St. games so far. Jeffery Simmons is easily my favorite prospect on that stacked defense. I’d be very happy getting a top 10 prospect with our second round pick.

Just now, 86Capers said:

I’m still not convinced Ferrel will be able to transition to OLB in a 34.

Having watched several Miss St. games so far. Jeffery Simmons is easily my favorite prospect on that stacked defense. I’d be very happy getting a top 10 prospect with our second round pick.

I agree with Ferrel in a traditional 3-4. I don’t recall Pettine asking his guys to drop into coverage very much though so I think he would be fine.

Just now, 86Capers said:

Jeffery Simmons is easily my favorite prospect on that stacked defense. I’d be very happy getting a top 10 prospect with our second round pick.

I wanted him at #44.....................but with what I've seen posted in various places we'd be lucky to see him on the board at #30.

He was originally a favourite pick at #12 (and would likely have been gone before then).

I would be more than happy to spend a second on Simmons as a long-term investment. 

This is by far my favorite mock and FA wise, it's probably the most realistic. My one caveat is that Hicks isn't leaving Philly. They really struggled for about 1/3 of the season after he went down with an injury.

1 minute ago, moretti19 said:

I agree with Ferrel in a traditional 3-4. I don’t recall Pettine asking his guys to drop into coverage very much though so I think he would be fine.

I think he would've been Nick Perry's replacement in Dom's system TBH. We're drafting him specifically to apply pressure and sack the QB.

13 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think he would've been Nick Perry's replacement in Dom's system TBH. We're drafting him specifically to apply pressure and sack the QB.

When Nick Perry is healthy he is damn good and near unblockable. Ferrel just isn'y a quick twitch bend the corner type of guy but he is still a very disruptive player. My goal in this is hoping that either Nick Perry or Ansah would be healthy and motivated with incentive based contracts and Ferrel and Fackrell could spell them. We have a very talented secondary and someone like Weddle can ensure everyone is on the same page and teach the rookies and Josh Jones how to be a pro.

*Also I know the O lineman don't meet the usual sub 315 pound or uber athletic but damn i love me a big boy that can move people and have aggressive hands.

Absolutely hate it.

It's by far the smallest investment I've seen made in the offense in any of these mocks.  IMO, just changing coaches isn't going to be enough to get this offense back on track.  You are talking about a first year head coach who you are requiring who's taking over a less talented offense than the one Mike McCarthy failed with.

27 minutes ago, SSG said:

Absolutely hate it.

It's by far the smallest investment I've seen made in the offense in any of these mocks.  IMO, just changing coaches isn't going to be enough to get this offense back on track.  You are talking about a first year head coach who you are requiring who's taking over a less talented offense than the one Mike McCarthy failed with.

Sarge, the Packers got WRs last year and adding another RB and two very good oline guys, and a TE in this mock draft......how much more do they need to do until they find out if those WR are going to be good starters or not?

45 minutes ago, Hands said:

Sarge, the Packers got WRs last year and adding another RB and two very good oline guys, and a TE in this mock draft......how much more do they need to do until they find out if those WR are going to be good starters or not?

The Packers added a couple low end WR prospects last year just as they did the year prior.  I'm not ready to cut them but I'm cerainly not ready to assume that they are going to develop into high end starters.  I'm not convinced that a couple of guys who weren't anything more than pedestrian in college are going to develop into high end starts in the NFL.

Adding a starting caliber player might help (WR, TE, offensive lineman).  Do people really think our offense is going to be better next season with LESS talent?  I don't love the Hill pick.  He's no better than either back we've got on the roster and showed little to nothing in college when it came to receiving.  If we're going to add a back, I'd prefer a better receiver.  Hill is being drafted there because of his combine numbers and only because of those numbers.  

19 minutes ago, SSG said:

The Packers added a couple low end WR prospects last year just as they did the year prior.  I'm not ready to cut them but I'm cerainly not ready to assume that they are going to develop into high end starters.  I'm not convinced that a couple of guys who weren't anything more than pedestrian in college are going to develop into high end starts in the NFL.

Adding a starting caliber player might help (WR, TE, offensive lineman).  Do people really think our offense is going to be better next season with LESS talent?  I don't love the Hill pick.  He's no better than either back we've got on the roster and showed little to nothing in college when it came to receiving.  If we're going to add a back, I'd prefer a better receiver.  Hill is being drafted there because of his combine numbers and only because of those numbers.  

I think with a focus on the running game our offense will open up a lot. Who do you expect to sign or draft that is going to change our offense? Honestly it’s up to Rogers to play within our offense and it will improve 

Archived