Bills sign John Brown & Cole Beasley

Nick

Beasley does exactly what I wanted from Humphries and for less money. I like this one. Brown? As I've said elsewhere Foster performed better on a per pass attempt rubric, but I will say, there is value in his experience that can be passed on to our young receivers. So that part is good. In the end, it looks to me like the FO is embracing speed and probably will put Brown and Foster opposite each other and Beasley in the slot...S T R E T C H I N G the field vertically and letting Josh launch some bombs! Air Coryell/K-Gun, anyone?!? :)

13 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Beasley does exactly what I wanted from Humphries and for less money. I like this one. Brown? As I've said elsewhere Foster performed better on a per pass attempt rubric, but I will say, there is value in his experience that can be passed on to our young receivers. So that part is good. In the end, it looks to me like the FO is embracing speed and probably will put Brown and Foster opposite each other and Beasley in the slot...S T R E T C H I N G the field vertically and letting Josh launch some bombs! Air Coryell/K-Gun, anyone?!? :)

I am very curious how we'll line the WR up now. Does Foster get a shot at Z or is he battling with Brown for time at X? Beasley is obviously the slot with McKenzie likely behind him (maybe a rookie). Does Zay Jones still fit what they're trying to do still? My guess is they line up one of these ways:

X: Brown, Foster, Williams
Slot: Beasley, McKenzie
Z: Jones,  rookie

or

X: Brown, Williams
Slot: Beasley, McKenzie, rookie
Z: Jones/Foster

On 3/13/2019 at 10:50 AM, Trentwannabe said:

I am very curious how we'll line the WR up now. Does Foster get a shot at Z or is he battling with Brown for time at X? Beasley is obviously the slot with McKenzie likely behind him (maybe a rookie). Does Zay Jones still fit what they're trying to do still? My guess is they line up one of these ways:

X: Brown, Foster, Williams
Slot: Beasley, McKenzie
Z: Jones,  rookie

or

Slot: Beasley, McKenzie, rookie
Z: Jones/Foster

I'd imagine both Brown and Foster will be at the Flanker while Zay and Duke will be the Split Ends

6 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

I'd imagine both Brown and Foster will be at the Flanker while Zay and Duke will be the Split Ends

Foster was our X last year and Brown was for the Ravens. 

Zay hasn't played X since before the trade for Kelvin Benjamin. Since then he's primarily been the Slot or Z depending on where their lined up Thompson. 

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Zay hasn't played X since before the trade for Kelvin Benjamin. Since then he's primarily been the Slot or Z depending on where their lined up Thompson. 

If Zay doesn't continue his late-season growth from last year, he needs to ride the pine. It's his 3rd year, so he needs to either deliver consistently or we need to accept that he will always be just a quality, back-up receiver. It sounds harsh, but it is the reality. We are building a team that can deliver play-off appearances. "Good enough" isn't good enough anymore.

1 hour ago, Yibbyl said:

If Zay doesn't continue his late-season growth from last year, he needs to ride the pine. It's his 3rd year, so he needs to either deliver consistently or we need to accept that he will always be just a quality, back-up receiver. It sounds harsh, but it is the reality. We are building a team that can deliver play-off appearances. "Good enough" isn't good enough anymore.

100 percent agree.

I wouldn't be surprised if Foster gets the first crack at Z this season and if he proves last season wasn't a fluke, he will be starting with Beasley and Brown. Zay can back up all 3 spots which is nice but like you said, a team that is preparing to make a playoff push can't rely on a guy who has been too inconsistent. My guess baring injury is week 1 our WR corps is:

S: Beasley, McKenzie or rookie
Z: Foster, Jones

7 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

3 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

100 percent agree.

I wouldn't be surprised if Foster gets the first crack at Z this season and if he proves last season wasn't a fluke, he will be starting with Beasley and Brown. Zay can back up all 3 spots which is nice but like you said, a team that is preparing to make a playoff push can't rely on a guy who has been too inconsistent. My guess baring injury is week 1 our WR corps is:

S: Beasley, McKenzie or rookie
Z: Foster, Jones

Agree with starting Brown at the X and making Foster adjust his game at the Z. Brown's got speed to quickly recover from jams and if we go to a 11 set, he blocks well in the running game. Jones actually is a good run blocker, too, but KB was even better and I think that was partly the reason Zay didn't see the snaps over there after KB was acquired. Foster makes sense playing at the Z to continue his ability to torch DB's, especially once he's been put in motion, and because he doesn't block as well in the run game as most of our other receivers IMHO. Williams is the one I can't put my finger on. One of the knocks on him coming out of college was that his blocking was fairly poor...whether he had the size advantage or not. In the CFL, though, he recorded some pancakes, but maybe that's due to facing lesser competition. Anyway, it seems to me to indicate that he'd be better served as a Z, swapping places with Zay. Thing is, though, Zay wasn't getting open enough when he was in the X position, at least compared to the end of the season. This is another aspect of Zay's game that he will need to improve on, especially if we utilize him to back up in multiple positions.

14 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Agree with starting Brown at the X and making Foster adjust his game at the Z. Brown's got speed to quickly recover from jams and if we go to a 11 set, he blocks well in the running game. Jones actually is a good run blocker, too, but KB was even better and I think that was partly the reason Zay didn't see the snaps over there after KB was acquired. Foster makes sense playing at the Z to continue his ability to torch DB's, especially once he's been put in motion, and because he doesn't block as well in the run game as most of our other receivers IMHO. Williams is the one I can't put my finger on. One of the knocks on him coming out of college was that his blocking was fairly poor...whether he had the size advantage or not. In the CFL, though, he recorded some pancakes, but maybe that's due to facing lesser competition. Anyway, it seems to me to indicate that he'd be better served as a Z, swapping places with Zay. Thing is, though, Zay wasn't getting open enough when he was in the X position, at least compared to the end of the season. This is another aspect of Zay's game that he will need to improve on, especially if we utilize him to back up in multiple positions.

Williams was a solid blocker in the CFL. Having the waggle certainly helped his lack of speed (although I think it will be overplayed). Z could be a good spot for him as it will allow him to have any easier release but his size should work well at X and get off of jams. 

11 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Williams was a solid blocker in the CFL. Having the waggle certainly helped his lack of speed (although I think it will be overplayed). Z could be a good spot for him as it will allow him to have any easier release but his size should work well at X and get off of jams. 

Check this out. This is one dumb DB! LOL!

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/22/week-19-duke-williams-block/

Archived