NYGiantsman10's 4 Round Mock Draft

NYGiantsman10

Hey fellas! I've been deep diving on mocks and draft notes with the draft less than a month away. I tried to put together a mock that's a little different, 50% realistic, 50% hopeful on my part. The way I see it, the holes the Giants have to at least attempt to fill (in no particular order) are QB, edge rusher, and RT. That and we generally just need more plus defenders. You'll see from my explanations that I'm definitely no scout xD Let me know what you think! 

Round 1: 6th overall pick: 

DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston 

- I've been racking my brain about this pick for awhile. I think that if one of the "Big Three" defensive prospects (Nick Bosa, Josh Allen, Quinnen Williams) slips to 6, the Giants will gladly take one of them. If that doesn't happen,  to me it comes down to either Devin White, or Ed Oliver (please God not Rashan Gary). I think Oliver is more in line with what positions Dave Gettleman values, and he just reintroduced himself to the NFL with his ridiculous pro day workout. I know it's an easy comparison, but people keep comparing him to Aaron Donald.  I figure James Bettcher will know how to turn Big Ed loose better than the Houston coaches did. The fastest way to the QB is a straight line. I'm a little iffy on Ed's character, but I think the upside justifies the pick. 

Round 1: 17th overall pick: 

EDGE Brian Burns, Florida State 

- I originally had us trading down with Oakland with Oakland coming up for Drew Lock and us getting Burns at 24, but the more I read about his combine and how other analysts view him, it just became increasingly unrealistic in my mind to have Burns around at 24. Heck, he might not be here at 17. But hey, I said 50% realistic, 50% hopeful so he's here! Haha. 

When I read about and watch Brian Burns I just think speed. Pure pass rushing juice. With the way the NFL is trending, disrupting the QB has become more important than ever. As a rookie Burns can platoon with Markus Golden and Lorenzo Carter (who will hopefully take a step forward) to hopefully add some bite to our pass rush. Hopefully over time he can refine other parts of his game and become a complete player, but I'll settle for some added pass rush juice in year one.  

Round 2: 37th overall pick: 

TRADE w/ Arizona. Arizona receives: 2nd round pick (37th overall), New York receives QB Josh Rosen.  

- I think this is about as fair a trade as Arizona is going to get. A lot of ink has been spilled over this idea, so I won't go over it in depth, but I think it makes sense for both sides. I think Pat Shurmur and Eli would both be really good for Josh, and the Giants can watch how Josh progresses while he waits for his opportunity. If he's not the right fit, they can target 2020 QBs like Tua or Justin Herbert, or even start maneuvering early for the great white whale Trevor Lawrence. 

Round 3: 84th overall pick: 

TRADE w/ Seattle. New York receives Seattle's 3rd round pick (84th overall), Seattle receives a 4th (133rd overall), a 5th (142nd overall), and a 6th (180th overall)

CB Trayvon Mullen, Clemson 

- I kept trying to force a trade back into the second round with New Orleans so the Giants could pick Dalton Risner, but I don't think there's any way that Risner will last that long. So, I readjusted and came up with this trade instead. It's a little more modest, and who knows if the value is right (I might be way off on this one). What I do know is DG likes to trade up, Seattle only has four picks, and the Giants need more DBs. I was torn between a corner or a safety, but I think there's a better chance of a good safety prospect slipping to later rounds than a good corner. Trayvon Mullen has good size/speed and was the defensive MVP of the national championship game. Worth a shot here. 

Round 3: 95th overall pick: 

OT Yodny Cajuste, West Virginia 

- So I know a lot of mocks have this hog going in the second round, but he just had surgery on his quad that's going to sideline him for 3 months. I'm hoping it's out of sight/out of mind for teams when they consider Mr. Cajuste, and he slides to us in Round 3. Good size, good strength, background as a basketball player, and plays hard. I think there's a good shot he could start at RT and hold his own (when he's fully healthy of course). I think having a veteran guard next to him will help a lot too. 

Round 4: 108th overall pick: 

WR Damarkus Lodge, Ole Miss  

- This one is a shot in the dark xD I originally had Miles Boykin here but he went and destroyed the combine. So I shifted gears and tried to find someone else to add some size to the Giants receiving corps. I think he needs a lot of work, but I think the top of the 4th is a good spot for him. The Giants can work him in slowly, and he has the size to add a different dimension to the receivers group. 

Alrighty! Tell me what you guys think! 

3 hours ago, NYGiantsman10 said:

Round 3: 95th overall pick: 

OT Yodny Cajuste, West Virginia 

- So I know a lot of mocks have this hog going in the second round, but he just had surgery on his quad that's going to sideline him for 3 months. I'm hoping it's out of sight/out of mind for teams when they consider Mr. Cajuste, and he slides to us in Round 3. Good size, good strength, background as a basketball player, and plays hard. I think there's a good shot he could start at RT and hold his own (when he's fully healthy of course). I think having a veteran guard next to him will help

Very nice effort overall, @NYGiantsman10, some well-thought-out picks and reasons for the selections. The one thing I might question is Yodny Cajuste slding all the way to #95 in the third; quad injury or no, potential left tackles tend to get overdrafted almost as much as do QB's, so I suspect he won't get out of the 2nd. But it would be quite a coup if the Giants got a guy with that sort of physical potential in the third round. Perhaps then Getty would stop using the term "hog mollies', which has gotten tiresome. Still! You may be right, and we have five months to work on pronouncing "Yodny Cajuste"!

I'm digging it as well. I really am leaning towards Ed Oliver now. After his pro day and the fact a couple monthes  ago i kept saying Oliver just seems like a Gettleman type player. Big, mean, nasty to play against. I can see him being the 6th pick. Only i still do see us going with a QB1 at our 2nd pick.  Good overall draft 

Archived