Which UDFA will go to be the next Pro Bowler?

jsthomp2007

Let's face it, the Broncos have a nice track record of finding talent after the draft.  I mean look at all the UDFA who have made pro bowls or are significant contributors. 

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/5/9/18538132/elway-really-good-at-finding-diamonds-in-the-rough

Out of this seasons group, I am going with: 

1) Joe Dineen - Broncos are thin at ILB, so he has to have a chance. 

2) Brett Rypien - It would not shock me if he makes a run at taking over the starting job eventually, and giving Lock a run for his money. Plus, the Broncos have had breakout stars at LB, CB, RB, and WR out of UDFA...why not at QB? It could happen. 

Also...this is unofficial, but given his background, Alexander Johnson, I think given a full season, a full training camp, and Fangio's track record with LBs that Johnson could return to his form when he was All American at Tennessee.  Plus, I just feel for this guy and it would make a great story if he just busts out and becomes what he was supposed to be when he was falsely accused of rape.  And, again, if he can return to some form, he has a chance to play at ILB because of the lack of depth there. 

Edited by jsthomp2007

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Let's face it, the Broncos have a nice track record of finding talent after the draft.  I mean look at all the UDFA who have made pro bowls or are significant contributors. 

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/5/9/18538132/elway-really-good-at-finding-diamonds-in-the-rough

Out of this seasons group, I am going with: 

1) Joe Dineen - Broncos are thin at ILB, so he has to have a chance. 

2) Brett Rypien - It would not shock me if he makes a run at taking over the starting job eventually, and giving Lock a run for his money. Plus, the Broncos have had breakout stars at LB, CB, RB, and WR out of UDFA...why not at QB? It could happen. 

Also...this is unofficial, but given his background, Alexander Johnson, I think given a full season, a full training camp, and Fangio's track record with LBs that Johnson could return to his form when he was All American at Tennessee.  Plus, I just feel for this guy and it would make a great story if he just busts out and becomes what he was supposed to be when he was falsely accused of rape.  And, again, if he can return to some form, he has a chance to play at ILB because of the lack of depth there. 

I think Rypien will earn his spot on the 53. Even a decent performance or two in the preseason will keep us from trying to place him on the PS.

Not so sure about Dineen. I think Berria and AJ may be pretty stiff competition. Can't help but think if our backups weren't promising at some point we'd have drafted an ILB. When we let BBK slide past us, that to me was a good indication Fangio's happy with what we've got.

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I think Rypien will earn his spot on the 53. Even a decent performance or two in the preseason will keep us from trying to place him on the PS.

Not so sure about Dineen. I think Berria and AJ may be pretty stiff competition. Can't help but think if our backups weren't promising at some point we'd have drafted an ILB. When we let BBK slide past us, that to me was a good indication Fangio's happy with what we've got.

As far as the ILBs, Denver does have some solid young players, even factoring in Dineen (who was a hell of a college player).  Davis, Jewell, Bierria, Johnson, Cravens, and Dineen.  If the rumors about Hollins getting a shot is true, throw him in that mix as well.

Of all of those players, Hollins is the one to get most excited about.  Fangio is used to having at least 1 excellent athlete at ILB, and Hollins would fit that category.  

Fangio also asks some borderline crazy things out of his ILBs at times.  During the playoffs he blitzed his outside CB, had a DE drop into the flat, and had Roquan Smith drop from ILB to 20-30 yards down the sideline where he broke up a pass.  That’s where Hollins excites me in how he could be used if he takes to ILB.  He’s 6’5” 250 with nearly 34 inch arms and runs a 4.50 flat...he’s essentially the physical match of Noah Fant, but on the defensive side of the ball.  

19 hours ago, germ-x said:

As far as the ILBs, Denver does have some solid young players, even factoring in Dineen (who was a hell of a college player).  Davis, Jewell, Bierria, Johnson, Cravens, and Dineen.  If the rumors about Hollins getting a shot is true, throw him in that mix as well.

Of all of those players, Hollins is the one to get most excited about.  Fangio is used to having at least 1 excellent athlete at ILB, and Hollins would fit that category.  

Fangio also asks some borderline crazy things out of his ILBs at times.  During the playoffs he blitzed his outside CB, had a DE drop into the flat, and had Roquan Smith drop from ILB to 20-30 yards down the sideline where he broke up a pass.  That’s where Hollins excites me in how he could be used if he takes to ILB.  He’s 6’5” 250 with nearly 34 inch arms and runs a 4.50 flat...he’s essentially the physical match of Noah Fant, but on the defensive side of the ball.  

Don’t sleep on Josh Watson either. He was impressive at CSU. Was able to get sideline to sideline and make tackles. I actually like Watson more than Dineen. 

I don’t see the projection for Hollins at ILB working out. I would rather they use his speed and length outside. 

I am anxious  to see the defense in action. Fangio is so adaptive to his players it’s hard to get a read what this going to look like. It makes it difficult to project a lot of these guys. Same can be said for the offense.  I know where Scangarello comes from I’m just not sure what his tendencies are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winder23 said:

I am anxious  to see the defense in action. Fangio is so adaptive to his players it’s hard to get a read what this going to look like. It makes it difficult to project a lot of these guys. Same can be said for the offense.  I know where Scangarello comes from I’m just not sure what his tendencies are. 

I agree with you on defense. I haven't got a clue what it will look like.

On offense though I can almost picture it. Between our new OC being a branch of the Walsh/Shanahan tree, our off season FA pickups and our draft we've built a 21st century fascimile of our late 90's team. I can hardly wait to see Lindsay running a stretch play, Fant with a brush block and down the seam, I'm sure you remember the drill. So much right now depends on the development of the OL but with Kuper and Munchak working with these guys we could end up with a very physical, nasty offense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Winder23 said:

Don’t sleep on Josh Watson either. He was impressive at CSU. Was able to get sideline to sideline and make tackles. I actually like Watson more than Dineen. 

I don’t see the projection for Hollins at ILB working out. I would rather they use his speed and length outside. 

I don’t disagree with your take on Hollins.  I think it’s a stretch for him to be an everydown type ILB.  However, I think there is a decent chance at success as a cover ILB and even if that doesn’t work, he projects at worst as a really nice rotational players as an edge player....makes the pick all the more worthwhile in the 5th round as it was safe in that he’s good depth on the edge, but also has huge upside if anything at ILB works out.

And don’t get me wrong in my hopes of Hollins at ILB.  I don’t think he’s the next Luke Kuechly, but I think he could be a unique cover LB in this system...in a sense and they played different positions, but I thought the same of George Iloka as a hybrid safety with his size.