Bleacher Report Ranks all 32 Team's WR corps

MKnight82

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I think so Woz. If Doctson can show he can be on Garcon’s type of level when Garcon was at his best, he’d be worth either franchising or re-signing long term.

Garcon showed he could do that before they signed him to the big deal, though.

You're banking on Doctson doing that at least twice (once this year as a breakout and a follow on year to make it worthwhile to invest in him). That's incredibly unlikely.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I mean, you’re complaining about the $. Well, just look at what we lost in production bc we didn't pay DJax or Garcon or bc we didn't give Cousins the type of deal he had earned from us after the 2015 and especially the 2016 seasons.

Again, if he had a track record of some sort of production, then they should have/would have given him his fifth year option. It would be cheaper than what you are proposing.

They didn't do that because they don't believe he is worth that investment, even though there was only a risk of it guaranteeing on injury.

On 7/9/2019 at 5:38 PM, Woz said:

Garcon showed he could do that before they signed him to the big deal, though.

You're banking on Doctson doing that at least twice (once this year as a breakout and a follow on year to make it worthwhile to invest in him). That's incredibly unlikely.

Again, if he had a track record of some sort of production, then they should have/would have given him his fifth year option. It would be cheaper than what you are proposing.

They didn't do that because they don't believe he is worth that investment, even though there was only a risk of it guaranteeing on injury.

Well they didn’t give Doctson the 5th year option bc they don’t believe he can do it. Still, that doesn’t mean he won’t. Perhaps he will this year and then they’ll have a decision to make next offseason.

IMO it’s a little unfair to compare the beginning of Garçon and Doctson’s careers. Garçon started his career with arguably the best QB of all time throwing to him. I think if Cousins would have been re-signed that it would have helped Doctson last year because the continuity and chemistry they were developing towards the end of 2017 was trending upward. We didn’t re-sign Cousins though so then Doctson had to start over gaining chemistry with a new QB in 2018 and then that QB got hurt, his back up got hurt and then the 3rd QB was benched for a 4th QB. Hard to remain consistent and put up great stats w/ all of those changes.

That being said, Doctson definitely has to do better himself as an all-around WR and he has one more season to prove it in DC.

If we suck I would say we’re almost guaranteed to pick Jerry Jeudy. But we’ll be just good enough to miss out on him like usual. My expectations are Richardson either gets hurt or disappoints and gets cut next off-season. Doctson is a goner and I’m not even certain he makes the team or doesn’t get traded after the preseason. McLaurin, Harmon, Sims and Quinn will be the only receivers on the roster in my opinion going into next years draft. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If we suck I would say we’re almost guaranteed to pick Jerry Jeudy. But we’ll be just good enough to miss out on him like usual. My expectations are Richardson either gets hurt or disappoints and gets cut next off-season. Doctson is a goner and I’m not even certain he makes the team or doesn’t get traded after the preseason. McLaurin, Harmon, Sims and Quinn will be the only receivers on the roster in my opinion going into next years draft. 

Probably a good prediction, it’s always best to go with the worse case scenario when predicting the skins. 

As much as I hate to admit it, that’s much more likely than:

Richardson: 55 recs, 900 yds, 6 TDs 

Doctson: 60 recs, 850 yds, 8 TDs 

Quinn: 65 recs, 750 yds, 4 TDs 

McClaurin: 20 recs, 300 yds, 2 TDs 

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Probably a good prediction, it’s always best to go with the worse case scenario when predicting the skins. 

As much as I hate to admit it, that’s much more likely than:

Richardson: 55 recs, 900 yds, 6 TDs 

Doctson: 60 recs, 850 yds, 8 TDs 

Quinn: 65 recs, 750 yds, 4 TDs 

McClaurin: 20 recs, 300 yds, 2 TDs 

I actually like the young talent we have at receiver. I think McLaurin, Quinn, Sims and Harmon are a stellar group for first and second year pros. They just need that true stud and I think we have something. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

I actually like the young talent we have at receiver. I think McLaurin, Quinn, Sims and Harmon are a stellar group for first and second year pros. They just need that true stud and I think we have something. 

I like their potential, I don’t know that I think they are “a stellar group.” That remains to be seen. 

Potential is one thing - and don’t get me wrong I love potential - but I’m not sold any of them become good reliable starters, especially the late round and undrafted guys. 

IMO these guys have a heck of a lot more to prove than our actual starters - Doctson and Richardson - who have had their ups and downs in their careers but have both certainly flashed some star potential, they just haven’t consistently done it.

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Well they didn’t give Doctson the 5th year option bc they don’t believe he can do it. Still, that doesn’t mean he won’t. Perhaps he will this year and then they’ll have a decision to make next offseason.

Then ... and I know this will come as a shock ... you'll have to make your decision based on a small sample set and have to worry about him regressing to the mean.

IMO it’s a little unfair to compare the beginning of Garçon and Doctson’s careers. Garçon started his career with arguably the best QB of all time throwing to him.

You're the one who brought Garcon up?!

On 7/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, turtle28 said:

If Doctson can show he can be on Garcon’s type of level when Garcon was at his best, he’d be worth either franchising or re-signing long term.

The only seasons that Doctson so far is even remotely close to Garcon are the ones where Doctson played half a season! At age 31!

But my point was that Garcon had established a track record that he was a quality receiver and Washington paid him as such. You may recall we got lambasted for paying him as much as we did, but they scouted him accurately and paid him appropriately.

This time around, Washington had the option of giving him a guaranteed-for-injury-only tag that would be cheaper than what you are proposing. And they declined it.

Expecting him to break out like you think is a fool's game. And even if he does manage it, paying him at the level you are suggesting is betting that he can do it again when he hasn't even shown he could get anywhere close to doing it once to date.

I think if Cousins would have been re-signed that it would have helped Doctson last year because the continuity and chemistry they were developing towards the end of 2017 was trending upward.

Last eight games of 2017 for Doctson

• 2017-11-12: 7 targets, 4 receptions, 30 yards (7.5 yards/reception), 0 TD
  • 2017-11-19: 7 targets, 4 receptions, 81 yards (20.3 yards/reception), 0 TD
  • 2017-11-23: 4 targets, 2 receptions, 28 yards (14.0 yards/reception), 1 TD
  • 2017-11-30: 5 targets, 3 receptions, 26 yards (8.7 yards/reception), 1 TD
  • 2017-12-10: 6 targets, 3 receptions, 34 yards (11.3 yards/reception), 0 TD
  • 2017-12-17: 4 targets, 2 receptions, 16 yards (8.0 yards/reception), 0 TD
  • 2017-12-24: 13 targets, 2 receptions, 61 yards (30.5 yards/reception), 1 TD
  • 2017-12-31: 10 targets, 4 receptions, 37 yards (9.3 yards/reception), 0 TD

That's continuity and chemistry? That's trending upward?

We didn’t re-sign Cousins though so then Doctson had to start over gaining chemistry with a new QB in 2018 and then that QB got hurt, his back up got hurt and then the 3rd QB was benched for a 4th QB.

The one who had the best deep ball in 2017? That guy? (if you're going to throw meatballs down the center of the plate, expect me to smash them)

But ignore that for a second. He's going to have establish chemistry with *GASP* another new quarterback (possibly even two or maybe even three!) this year!

So, if he's still is a meh receiver, should we give him another season because of chemistry and continuity?

Hard to remain consistent and put up great stats w/ all of those changes.

Oh, but he did remain consistent!

Games with Alex Smith in 2018:

• 2018-09-09: 3 targets, 1 reception, 11 yards (11.0 yards/reception), 0 TD
  • 2018-09-16: 7 targets, 4 receptions, 37 yards (9.3 yards/reception), 0 TD
  • 2018-09-23: 3 targets, 0 receptions  [didn't start]
  • 2018-10-14: 5 targets, 3 receptions, 20 yards (6.7 yards/reception), 0 TD [didn't start]
  • 2018-10-21: 6 targets, 3 receptions, 42 yards (14.0 yards/reception), 0 TD
  • 2018-10-28: 5 targets, 5 receptions, 49 yards (9.8 yards/reception), 0 TD
  • 2018-11-04: 6 targets, 3 receptions, 31 yards (10.3 yards/reception), 1 TD
  • 2018-11-11: 4 targets, 4 receptions, 46 yards (11.5 yards/reception), 1 TD [didn't start]
  • 2018-11-18: 2 targets, 1 reception, 9 yards (9.0 yards/reception), 0 TD [stats only when Smith throwing him the ball in this game]

Yes, a good chunk of that might be due to Alex Smith, but at the same time, he's not really lighting the world on fire with YAC.

Look, I was quite happy when they drafted him back in 2016. I thought it was a good value pick at a position that was going to need a talent infusion when players were going to leave via free agency. It showed that Washington actually had some foresight and understanding of the future horizon. Unfortunately, that pick has been a bust. That sucks, but that's the way it goes. As I've said elsewhere, Washington was not the only team to draft a bust receiver that year (only Michael Thomas, Sterling Shepard, and Tyreek Hill have amounted to anything (and Hill is a disaster) ... maybe you can include Tyler Boyd and Tajae Sharpe?). It looked great, but it turned up bad. Happens.

Just don't go throwing good money after bad.

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t blame the QBs for Doctson’s inconsistencies especially when he was consistent in 2016, 17 & 18.  I really wish people would stop blaming almost everything that went wrong last year with the passing game on just one guy, the QB.

Thats such a lazy analysis, it’s ridiculous. Especially when everyone knows we had a lot of injuries with our playmakers in the passing game and the OL which affected the passing game too.

All I’m saying is that if Doctson shocks the world, the Redskins should try to keep him.  Also, this is really just Doctson’s 3rd year of development bc he missed his rookie year w/ his achillies injury. 

I already said I don’t expect it to happen, but if it does you’d hope to keep the young WR you’ve developed since you drafted him in round 1 instead of once again going out an signing another teams free agent WR or drafting another WR high.

Now if McLaurin, Sims or Harmon look great, even if Doctson looks great too, then the decision would be easy to let Doctson walk after this season and take the comp pick in the 2020 draft. If lighting strikes though and Doctson looks great and the other WRs don’t, I’d hope we’d keep him.

Archived