Should We Make A Run At Chris Jones?

Just Want A Title

Damon Harrison was a fantastic addition to our defense last year but he is 30 years old and holding out.  Don't get me wrong, I think he deserves a "contract adjustment" similar to what happened with Chris Harris.  However, if things go completely sideways, should we consider making a run at DT Chris Jones?  His contract situation is going nowhere:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/15/report-no-change-on-contract-front-for-chris-jones-chiefs/

Here are his stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneCh09.htm

I don't think he will replicate 15 sacks but he is 25 years old and might be the most disruptive DT other than Aaron Donald.  We have $22 million in cap space to work with.  The Chiefs are switching defenses so he might not be as disruptive in a the new scheme.  It is a long shot but do you think we could make it happen?

34 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Damon Harrison was a fantastic addition to our defense last year but he is 30 years old and holding out.  Don't get me wrong, I think he deserves a "contract adjustment" similar to what happened with Chris Harris.  However, if things go completely sideways, should we consider making a run at DT Chris Jones?  His contract situation is going nowhere:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/15/report-no-change-on-contract-front-for-chris-jones-chiefs/

Here are his stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneCh09.htm

I don't think he will replicate 15 sacks but he is 25 years old and might be the most disruptive DT other than Aaron Donald.  We have $22 million in cap space to work with.  The Chiefs are switching defenses so he might not be as disruptive in a the new scheme.  It is a long shot but do you think we could make it happen?

On a net basis, adding Jones and subtracting Harrison is going to be a $14.2M hit to our cap. Combined with Flowers, this is going to be a $36M hit from the DL alone

We have $21M in cap space next year. Overall, this is going to significantly hamper the ability for the team to improve in different positions due to limited cap space and the loss of draft picks.

Jones is a really good player. His 15.5 sacks were 442% more than Harrison. However, everything else was quite below or roughly the same (81 tackles vs 40 tackles), 6 stuffs vs 5 stuffs, etc. I'm not convinced that this move would move the needle enough to justify it. It also depends on what Patricia wants from this defense. I doubt that he would complain about a guy getting double digit sacks but is that a key in this defense? Or is it to generate pressure in combination with good coverage to generate dead plays, turnovers, sacks, etc.?

Chris Jones is 25 years old.  Damon Harris on 30 years old.  If I had to make a long-term investment in a d-lineman, going with the 25 year-old who is really good makes a lot of sense.  If we need cap space, Theo Riddick could be cut loose.  He counts for $4.65 million against our cap and he did not look anywhere nearly as elusive in the open field as he was in previous years.  I think we would save about $3.7 million if we cut him loose.

Salary cap information on Theo Riddick.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/theo-riddick-12481/

Edited by Just Want A Title
Forgot something

14 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Chris Jones is 25 years old.  Damon Harris on 30 years old.  If I had to make a long-term investment in a d-lineman, going with the 25 year-old who is really good makes a lot of sense.  If we need cap space, Theo Riddick could be cut loose.  He counts for $4.65 million against our cap and he did not look anywhere nearly as elusive in the open field as he was in previous years.  I think we would save about $3.7 million if we cut him loose.

Salary cap information on Theo Riddick.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/theo-riddick-12481/

Sure, Jones is younger. We still have A'Shawn who is highly rated in a similar role as Snacks. He's likely going to be the guy that replaces Snacks when the time comes. Jones would likely be replacing D'Shawn Hand as opposed to Snacks. He's on an upward trajectory himself at a fraction of the cost.

Even with that being said, let's go with it. Assume that we make this trade in the "Frank Clark area" of compensation.

- Contract of $18M - $22M (thanks to Grady Jarrett's new contract)

- 2020 1st round pick

- 2020 4th round pick* (not included in Clark deal but seems like fair compensation)

- 2021 2nd round pick

This trade was made just before the draft and included a swapping of 3rd round picks as well. Draft picks tend to be undervalued going into the season and mid-season but over-valued pre-draft. We would likely have to throw in a player in here to make it work. A'Shawn is in line for a new contract, so we'd probably be losing him since we wouldn't be able to afford everybody. If we kept Snacks and added Jones we'd be sitting at around $7M - $9M of cap space for this year. We'd be in a worse position next year with the contracts of Flowers, Coleman and James bumping up in year 2.

Given the situation with Clowney, I wonder if he's a guy that we could get much cheaper. NFL.com was floating around a trade situation with the Bills of a 2020 1st rounder and Shaq Lawson. If we could trade for Clowney and only give up the one pick, it would make more sense to me. He'd be an upgrade over Kennard and in a position that needs more of an upgrade as opposed to getting rid of a very good player for a younger, somewhat better in a different way kind of player.

19 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Jones is going to be paid big soon.

He is a top 8 DL in the league.

Yup.

Same with Clowney.

Both guys are going to be costly. It would depend on the confidence level that the team has in the guys already on the roster.