The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

Yeah, there's absolutely no chance he would resign. He's probably looking at 8 years, $250 million. Braun's contract has been a pain and he "only" topped out at $20 million per for three of the years. Blowing 25+% of your budget on one player and roughly half your payroll on two players (with Cain at $16M per) is a sure fire way to ensure that the window slams shut quickly.

2 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Chacin is on a 2 year deal making $8 Million and $6 Million. 

Also, what other "bad" contracts?

I'm totally lost. Braun's pretty much the only bad contract on the payroll right now. Maybe Sogard? I guess? Though 1 year, $2.4 million is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme.

Just now, packerbacker87 said:

Pitching prospects are a far greater risk history wise. Far to many top pitching prospects never meet their expectations. Hitting prospects are far safer imo

You simply do not trade your top "whatever" prospect for a 2 month rental. It's not smart baseball. Not for a small market team that fiscally cannot afford to re-sign the player.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

I'm totally lost. Braun's pretty much the only bad contract on the payroll right now. Maybe Sogard? I guess? Though 1 year, $2.4 million is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme.

Yeah, I have no clue what's going on right now. I'm literally on BP trying to figure out what "bad contracts" we have.

Just now, bkobow05 said:

You simply do not trade your top "whatever" prospect for a 2 month rental. It's not smart baseball. Not for a small market team that fiscally cannot afford to re-sign the player.

U have a chance to go for it, u do! Do you really think long term we can out season the Cubs, Cardinals, Dodgers etc. The only prospect on our team three years from now do you look back and be like “damn” why did we trade him is Hiura. 

U have a chance to go for it, u do! Do you really think long term we can out season the Cubs, Cardinals, Dodgers etc. The only prospect on our team three years from now do you look back and be like “damn” why did we trade him is Hiura. 

Do you think Machado is the guy that puts us over the top to beat the Yankees, Red Sox or Astros this year? 

Yes, you "go for it" when you have the chance but you don't go willy ******* nilly and overpay to do it. Trading Burnes for 2 months of Machado is stupid. No way around it. 

1 minute ago, bkobow05 said:

Do you think Machado is the guy that puts us over the top to beat the Yankees, Red Sox or Astros this year? 

Yes, you "go for it" when you have the chance but you don't go willy ******* nilly and overpay to do it. Trading Burnes for 2 months of Machado is stupid. No way around it. 

Well, like I said. Burns will be the first to go. And when it happens, ill just say I told you so. One way or another some big moves are on the way. No way they sit on their hands this year. 

I mean, if we land Machado, I'll be as excited as the next guy. But you don't trade a 23-year old pitcher that looks like he could play a significant role in the majors down the stretch to bring in a rental that you have a 0% chance of locking up long-term. This was supposed to be Year 3 of the rebuild, the window isn't closing. Trading someone like Burnes for a rental is the move of a team that believes it has hit its ceiling and needs to chase a title immediately, not for a team that has team control for years for every important player on the roster and a window that is just opening.

1 minute ago, packerbacker87 said:

Chacin Braun are bad deals. Im just saying brad miller is 4 million vogt is 3 million. Villar is 3 million. 

Chacin's deal isn't bad, dude. It's a short term deal that fills a void in our rotation for basically the price of 1 win per season. There's nothing wrong with Chacin's deal. Those other deals are incredibly insignificant.

Well, like I said. Burns will be the first to go. And when it happens, ill just say I told you so. One way or another some big moves are on the way. No way they sit on their hands this year. 

Funny, you link that the O's are going to combine Britton and Machado as definitive evidence but there's a ton out there saying Burnes is off the table yet you don't give that any credence. 

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I mean, if we land Machado, I'll be as excited as the next guy. But you don't trade a 23-year old pitcher that looks like he could play a significant role in the majors down the stretch to bring in a rental that you have a 0% chance of locking up long-term. This was supposed to be Year 3 of the rebuild, the window isn't closing. Trading someone like Burnes for a rental is the move of a team that believes it has hit its ceiling and needs to chase a title immediately, not for a team that has team control for years for every important player on the roster and a window that is just opening.

Its going to happen.