What is the Solution for the Giants' WR Quandary?

HoboRocket

This week, Corey Coleman had a season-ending injury. Yeah, big deal. He was ideally just going to be depth that contributed on special teams - except that there was a wide open spot for a perimeter receiver that he could have filled.

Sterling Shepard broke his thumb. He could be back early in the season, but I DO worry about what capacity he'll be playing in at first. He could easily miss a couple games and then be limited for the majority of the season if he tries to come back sooner.

Golden Tate is suspended for the first four games of the season. While he is attempting an appeal, victories are rare in this sort of case. 

Now, those three were projected by many outside of the fan base to be the Giants' three biggest receivers this upcoming season. This leaves a huge opportunity for a guy like Darius Slayton, who, by all accounts, has enjoyed a great off-season thus far, but that still leaves two more open spots. Plus, in most situations, you don't want someone as young and raw as Slayton to be featured and getting the brunt of a defense's attention. I know that you guys have Cody Latimer and Russel Shepard, but they're ideally not starting, right?

Who do you guys think the team might use to fill the void?

The Rams have a pair of intriguing WR trade targets. Josh Reynolds is an outside threat with the potential to take the top off of the defense. Reynolds had 29 receptions over 400 receiving yards in half of a season as part of a rotation after Kupp got hurt and Woods slid to the slot. He profiles as a Marvin Jones-type receiver. Like him a lot, but he won't be getting much playing time with the people ahead of him on the Rams' depth chart.

Robert Woods could be a potential target. With Kupp being Goff's favorite target and the team's primary slot receiver, Woods will slide back outside. He has developed into a complete receiver over the course of the past three seasons, and he might be expendable for the Rams due to Reynolds' emergence and cap cost. It would save the Rams money that they need for important extensions, including John Johnsonsonsonson, Austin Blythe, and Jared Goff. 

The Giants obviously could also target someone like Dez Bryant or a toxic lazy guy with name value like Kelvin B.

Are there any other options that I'm missing?

It makes no sense for a bad team to waste draft picks on a WR. They will continue with free agents. The Giants are going to be one game at most without Shepard and 4 games without Tate. It’s not a death sentence for the receivers at the slightest.

The Giants will run more 2TE formations with Engram and Ellison and plow Barkley to his death

Theres a small chance the  Giants will use a late round pick on a young receiver but that won’t happen until the final cuts 

The Giants definitely do not have the cap space for Woods 

One person I'd like to see them bring is is Michael Crabtree.  Is he a solution?  No.  But at least he is a viable outside NFL receiver.  I don't think it will happen but I certainly would prefer him over Kelvin Benjamin.  

On a side note, we keep seeming to value small quick twitch slot guys.  (Further confirmed by the TJ Jones signing)  I wonder if we're going to see a different offense this year of quick hitting type passes looking for YAC.  

3 hours ago, Gmen19851 said:

One person I'd like to see them bring is is Michael Crabtree.  Is he a solution?  No.  But at least he is a viable outside NFL receiver.  I don't think it will happen but I certainly would prefer him over Kelvin Benjamin.  

On a side note, we keep seeming to value small quick twitch slot guys.  (Further confirmed by the TJ Jones signing)  I wonder if we're going to see a different offense this year of quick hitting type passes looking for YAC.  

I don’t see the point in signing an old veteran. Let’s see what the young guys can do. We are playing for the future