53 Man Roster plus more (There's always next year)

lumberjackchris

Nick Martin to IR for the 2nd straight season. DJ Reader another defensive starter to IR. 

meanwhile our secondary remains healthy and terrible. 

Go out and sign a LT to a big contract and lock that position down for the long haul. Draft 2 Offensive Linemen in the 3rd round. Let Filo walk. Bring back Giacomini to battle for RT with Davenport and be a swing tackle if not. Martin and Mancz give us options at Center. Jeff Allen has probably been out best lineman this season, so keep him. Let the rookies battle it out with the Martin/Mancz loser for the other guard spot. Line should be much better.

At RB i am comfortable with the guys we have. Miller/Foreman/Ervin can form a nice 3 man back field. The Foreman injury is a wildcard. can he return from that? Even if he does, he probably misses the start of the season. I would probably bring back Ellington to be there in case he isnt. I dont want to spend a draft pick or big money on a RB though.

At WR we have a decent group, they just havent stayed healthy. I want to bring back Ellington, again based on his ability to recover from injury. I am fine with a 4 man group of Hopkins/Fuller/Ellington/Miller especially with Anderson and Ervins ability to play at WR if needed. The odds are strongly against us having the same injury bug that has lead to games of only have 1 WR healthy. Still I would go out and sign a special teams WR to be our 5th guy if needed. 

At TE we are in a pickle. Anderson has been solid, but hes not a true TE. CJ has to be finished. We can bring back Griffin, but we still need help there. I am thinking we use out 4th round pick on a TE. Bring him in and let him compete with Anderson and Griffin. 

Then there is the matter of back up QB. I am willing to spend a 3rd round pick on one, but for the sake of this i will use the 6th rounder on one. take a guy who can come in and play the same offense as Watson. We shouldn't have to change the entire system in order to switch the QB position. I would let Savage go, but I would probably keep Yates around as the back up until the rookie has learned the system enough to play. 

That should be a very doable way to fix our offense. If you remember it was the best in the league when Watson went down, so just adding the help ive prescribed plus having a little more injury luck and we should be top 10 for sure.

now to the defense. Its a mess. good thing we have money, and by my count, with comp picks, we should have a 3rd rounder left, plus 2 6ths and 2 7ths

DE is a mess. Watt will never be the same player, but if he gets back, he will be a starter. We will need something on the other side of him though because Heath and Dunn are just not going to work. I would definitely sign someone in FA  as well as spend a 6th round pick on a DE. 

DT is not so bad. Reader has been solid all year and if we fix DE then Carlos Watkins can become our back up NT and I think those 2 can hold it down just fine.

OLB isnt so bad either. Mercilus was a huge loss for us, and i suspect he makes it back. Here is what I would do though, I would add an OLB with a 6th round pick. I would restructure Cushings deal to more like 2-3 million and move him to OLB if hes willing, if not he gets cut. I would also keep Scarlett

ILB is solid for the future with McKinney/Cunningham/Cole. I wouldnt change a thing here. 

We really need to move Jackson to Safety next to Hal. Sign J Joe to a smaller deal. Move Johnson to nickle back and sign a shut down CB to big money this off season. I would take out other 3rd round pick and i would draft a CB or if we dont move Jackson to Safety then I would draft a Safety with it. 

We enter next season looking something like this:

QB: Watson/Yates/Rookie QB
RB: Miller/Foreman/Ervin/Ellington
FB: Proush
WR: Hopkins/Miller
WR: Fuller/Ellington
TE: Anderson/Griffin/Rookie TE
LT: FA Signee
LG: Jeff Allen/Rookie
C: Martin/Fuller
RG: Mancz/Rookie
RT: Davenport/Giacomini

DE: Watt/Heath
NT: Reader/Watkins/Dunn
DE: FA Signee/Rookie DE
OLB: Clowney/Cushing
ILB: Cunningham/Cole
ILB: Mckinney
OLB: Mercilus/Scarlett/Rookie 
CB: FA Signee/Johnson
CB: JJoe/Rookie CB
S: Jackson/Gilchrest
S: Hal/Plesant

P: Lechler

K: Fairbarin

LS: Weeks

still leaves 3 open roster spots to carry another WR, a 4th ILB, a 5th CB or however we would want to spend it. 

its not a complete overhaul and it still has issues, but its good enough to be in the mix. It also doesnt break the bank, gives us the money for the Clowney extension. Still leaves some holes in the seconday, but hopefully with all our pass rushers back, we can avoid some of the big plays. Also adding a big time shut down CB would help. 

DATE DESCRIPTION
12/19/2017 The Houston Texans placed the following three players on the Reserve/Injured list: C Nick Martinicon-article-link.gif, TE MyCole Pruitticon-article-link.gif, NT/DE D.J. Readericon-article-link.gif
12/19/2017 The Houston Texans signed the following free agent to the practice squad: TE Zach Conque
12/19/2017 The Houston Texans signed the following three players to the active roster from the team’s practice squad: S Ibraheim Campbellicon-article-link.gif, NT Chunky Clementsicon-article-link.gif, G David Quessenberryicon-article-link.gif

Just an update above)

To address PD's comments: I feel most of what you recommend

FA LT signee: Nate Solder (NE - UFA) (5 years, $70M) highest paid LT in NFL

FA TE Luke Willson (SEA - UFA)  (played at Rice, might be ok with smaller TE deal)

DE: You forgot about Covington? He was playing well before injury

Sign S/ CB Lamarcus Joyner  (LAR - UFA) (4 years, $50M) then can move KJax for a pick or player

CBs: Patrick Robinson (PHI) or TJ Carrie OAK) offer a 3 year, $21M deal to either

I was going to post a post-season plan in the off-season thread later

47 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

CBs: Patrick Robinson (PHI) or TJ Carrie OAK) offer a 3 year, $21M deal to either

I say go bigger at CB. Malcolm Butler (he's been in the middle of a down season, but he's a lockdown caliber guy) or Trumane Johnson at CB. It's a dire need, you cannot go into another season with Johnson or Joseph starting at one of the two boundary spots.

Johnson is a pipe dream. He's not leaving but man I'd open the bank. Same with Nate Solder 

but man those two could redirect our franchise and fix our two biggest needs. 

Im convinced that BOB and Smith both think Jackson/Joespeh/Johnson will be good enough. I mean we let Bouye walk and he's one of the best CBs in football. 

6 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Johnson is a pipe dream. He's not leaving but man I'd open the bank. Same with Nate Solder 

but man those two could redirect our franchise and fix our two biggest needs. 

Im convinced that BOB and Smith both think Jackson/Joespeh/Johnson will be good enough. I mean we let Bouye walk and he's one of the best CBs in football. 

I think Solder is gettable because Pats are not known for paying to keep their FAs.  (I think Pats view Garcia as successor / replacement)

Plus we would likely be only bidding against Cincy + NY Giants (maybe).  We have more than $20M more in cap space than both right now and that's without restructuring Nuk or Watt (which I think we will do).

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Johnson is a pipe dream

Johnson or Butler? 

I think Butler is very attainable - remember, he's on an RFA deal and was constantly mentioned in trade talks with New Orleans this past off-season (the thought was Butler and some consideration for pick 11, which turned into Marshawn Lattimore). Trade rumors for him didn't end until after the trade deadline.

The Belicheck school of roster management doesn't pay guys like Butler long term, so I'm pretty sure he's hitting the market. As far as sticking with our guys - always a possibility, but last time we were 32nd in passing and had a ton of cap space, we came away with Jonathan Joseph from Cincinnati and Daniel Manning from Chicago.

I think we'll be in the market for DB help, and Butler/Trumaine Johnson will be the big ticket items...and I think we're one of the few teams who can afford it.

We'll see though.

In thinking about it, I'd also like to add an additional pass rusher to the unit - someone to rotate in with Mercilius and Clowney off the edge. Not sure who, though...

12/27/2017 The Houston Texans signed the following free agent to the practice squad: G Erik Austell
12/27/2017 The Houston Texans released the following player from the practice squad: G Dorian Johnsonicon-article-link.gif
12/27/2017 The Houston Texans placed the following player on the Reserve/Injured list: S Corey Mooreicon-article-link.gif
12/27/2017 The Houston Texans signed the following free agent to the active roster: QB Josh Johnson
12/26/2017 The Houston Texans signed the following free agent to the practice squad: TE Jevoni Robinson
12/23/2017 The Houston Texans placed the following player on the Reserve/Injured list: QB Tom Savageicon-article-link.gif
12/23/2017 The Houston Texans signed the following player to the active roster from the team’s practice squad: TE Ryan Malleckicon-article-link.gif
12/21/2017

The Houston Texans signed the following two free agents to the practice squad: NT Marcus Hardison, T Jake Rodger

I thought Dorian was a promising G prospect... maybe not

Looks like we brought back Austell

I hope Josh Johnson gets some burn against Indy

Jevoni was a basketball player at NC State

A draft bio on Rodgers... look who he compares to... LMAO http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/jake-rodgers?id=2553236

A bit on Hardison http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/marcus-hardison?id=2552672

Texans have set a new NFL record for # of different players seeing action in a season with 77 thru 15 games.  Should extend the record tomorrow when Josh Johnson plays after Yates gets crushed again.  I swear at this point Rick is just feeding the IR to build the injury narrative, as only 3 injuries should have impacted the season (Watt, Mercilus, Watson) and 2 of those didn't play for us last year either.  This team is 4-11 with an o-line and secondary that has been relatively healthy all season but features 8-10 players that do not belong on an NFL roster, better yet receiving significant snaps. Rick Smith has never built a team even 22 players deep, better yet 53, so it is more telling to me how indistinguishable the extra 24 "additions" are from the replacement level garbage filling the bottom 2/3rds of this roster. 

If you think we are buying ourselves out of this mess in one offseason, take a good look at the pending FAs on the o-line and secondary, Rick Smith's track record beyond the 2nd round and understand we ARE exactly what our record is.  Watson playing on 2 healthy knees was good enough to beat the Browns, Bengals, and Titans - that's it. This o-line was going to get any QB who lined up behind it hurt within 6 games and this secondary was going to give up most leads the offense operating at it's peak could get just like the Pats, Hawks, Chiefs games (the latter two look less impressive each week). It's not an "accident" that the Texans have had 14 QBs (11 different) take snaps in 4 years in the O'Brien era (4 QBs in 3 of 4 seasons) and let's not forget how many games we lost out of Schaub's "prime" due to injury. We've ended a season with our starting QB healthy exactly 3 of 11 seasons under Rick Smith - what odds are you willing to put on Watson coming off his 2nd ACL behind a Rick Smith built line bucking that trend in 2018?  This season isn't "bad luck" - it's just the same bad plan from the same bad GM who shouldn't be given a 12th time to prove it.

Archived