Week 1 GDT: Jacksonville Jaguars (0-0) @ Houston Texans (0-0)

.Buzz

6 hours ago, iPwn said:

There’s going to be a couple drives, probably in the second half, where the defense just completely falls apart and lets the Texans offense do whatever they want. We’ll see runs getting big gains and passes over the middle to TEs and underneath receivers just taking chunks for 2-4 drives in a row. Whether the Texans have the discipline to turn that run into 24 points, or if they can only muster 6 or so will largely decide whether they cruise to a big win or squeak one out, imo.

Sounds about right.  I figure you can probably add a couple idiotic drive extending penalties to the meltdown recipe as well (probably featuring Dante Fowler Jr).

But Savage is eminently capable of taking a gift and throwing it away.  So we shall see...

13 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Watching Kareem Hunt tonight makes me even more excited to watch Leonard Fournette. Such a good rookie RB class this year.

Remember when we had to take a RB at 4 because the staff couldn’t find a high impact RB later? Fun times.

32 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Remember when we had to take a RB at 4 because the staff couldn’t find a high impact RB later? Fun times.

You mean like the Cowboys took Zeke last year and Jordan Howard went to Chicago at 150?

If LF is a core player for the next several years and what we think he is, could care less.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

You mean like the Cowboys took Zeke last year and Jordan Howard went to Chicago at 150?

If LF is a core player for the next several years and what we think he is, could care less.

Dallas found their long term fixture at QB in the 4th round. We....didn’t. If Watson and/or Mahomes end up being stars, and Hunt has a career path similar to Fournette, that’s not a couldn’t care less situation. 

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

Dallas found their long term fixture at QB in the 4th round. We....didn’t. If Watson and/or Mahomes end up being stars, and Hunt has a career path similar to Fournette, that’s not a couldn’t care less situation. 

Just like if we would have taken them and they busted hard whoever would be fired and we'd be in for an even longer drought than we're in.

If you dont think a guy is the answer, dont pick him. Cant afford to drop a top 5 selection on a QB you arent confident in. If we thought a guy was a franchise guy, you think we were passing on them because of Bortles after the year he had last year and our head of football operations reportedly having a strong negative attitude towards Blake? Doubt it.

Just now, .Buzz said:

Just like if we would have taken them and they busted hard whoever would be fired and we'd be in for an even longer drought than we're in.

If you dont think a guy is the answer, dont pick him. Cant afford to drop a top 5 selection on a QB you arent confident in.

Sure. Agreed with all of this.

But... shouldn’t they also be held accountable for misevaluations? If they aren’t sure on a guy and he turns out to be great, isn’t that their fault for not evaluating the player correctly?

5 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Sure. Agreed with all of this.

But... shouldn’t they also be held accountable for misevaluations? If they aren’t sure on a guy and he turns out to be great, isn’t that their fault for not evaluating the player correctly?

For sure. But from the early indications, considering where Hunt went, wouldnt all teams that didnt take Hunt (who fell to rd 3) be looked at that way? 

Its way too early to even be talking about hits and misses as is. But all scouts are going to have misevaluations. 

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Also, when they selected Zeke they didnt have Dak/know a 4th rd pick at QB would solve their QB issue long term.

I get that our team doesn’t operate with the slightest bit of foresight, but drafting a potential starting QB in the 4th in case your fragile QB goes down is exactly the behavior I’ve been harping on for months now.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

For sure. But from the early indications, considering where Hunt went, wouldnt all teams that didnt take Hunt (who fell to rd 3) be looked at that way?

It will. Every team whiffed on him. But the team that would deserve the most criticism is the team that spent a premium draft pick on a player at the same position at a position that generally doesn’t require premium resources be spent. This doubly so when said team is in need of starters at premium positions and didn’t find those in the draft either, while passing on players at those positions who could be the answer with their #4 selection.

For the most part, I’m just poking the bear now with the Fournette vs Hunt discussion. I hope Fournette’s violent run style does wonders for our offense over the next 8 years. I hope the other players they selected pan out. But it’s going to be somewhat irritating if we’re watching the Chiefs make the playoffs year after year with Mahomes under center, handing off to Hunt and we’re stuck with a Ryan Fitzpatrick handing off to Fournette seeing 9 man stacked boxes. Just saying.

Archived