Auction League Strategies?

JaguarCrazy2832

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I did my money league yesterday and spent the bulk on McCaffery, OBJ, and JuJu.  It does suck sitting around for a while for others to spend their money.  Here is my final squad.

QB Aaron Rodgers, Kirk Cousins
RB McCaffery, White, Brieda, Murray, Darwin
WR OBJ, Juju, Hardman, Desean Hamilton, Keesean Johnson, N'Keal Harry
TE Andrews, Hockensen (likely dropping one of them for Goedert)
some IDP players all for $1. 

Pretty much I got the three studs and Rodgers and the rest was scraping together 3 and 4$ players.  I wish I wouldn't have spent the money on JuJu and split that between RB2 and WR2.  I could have had something like Diggs and Mack for a similar price to JuJu and White which I think would be a better combo.

What did you spend on each of your 3 big guys?

14 hours ago, a4ce said:

Just did our draft yesterday.  Spent 75% on three players, McCaffery, Conner, and Cook right off the bat. My strategy is to go hard on the RBs.  I think the WR depth is good enough to find some viable options.  Teams are using more 3 and 4 WR sets.  This and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee at 7-11.  

Was it really $150 of your $200 budget? If so i feel like you actually got good value

Do you think an auction draft is more about putting together the best starting lineup possible? Like moreso than a standard snake draft league?

i feel like if i go in to an auction draft with the idea that I’ll spend $4 on 2 QBs, 1 DST and 1 K then say another $4-5 on 4-5 bench spots that leaves me with

191-192 for 7-8 players and with that i can construct a great team

3 RBs, 3 WRs and a TE for $192 seems like it yields a much better team

A huge part of that is the waiver wire is so different too. Priority means nothing, its how bad do you want someone so you can have only 2-3 decent bench options after the draft and spend huge on a high priced FA

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Do you think an auction draft is more about putting together the best starting lineup possible? Like moreso than a standard snake draft league?

i feel like if i go in to an auction draft with the idea that I’ll spend $4 on 2 QBs, 1 DST and 1 K then say another $4-5 on 4-5 bench spots that leaves me with

191-192 for 7-8 players and with that i can construct a great team

3 RBs, 3 WRs and a TE for $192 seems like it yields a much better team

A huge part of that is the waiver wire is so different too. Priority means nothing, its how bad do you want someone so you can have only 2-3 decent bench options after the draft and spend huge on a high priced FA

Thoughts?

I think I would adjust and plan to spend the majority of my funds on 5 or 6 players.  TE I don't spend on unless its Kelce or Ertz.  Other than that you can get a solid TE and one with potential for $1 or $2.  QB is similar, if you don't get top 3, spend $4 on one.  I would have liked to spread out my funds on JuJu a little better because it would give me a better starting lineup.  Then I just go for potential on the rest.  I don't like spending too much on guys with low ceilings so I risk it with a lower floor.

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

$210 budget given we added 4 IDPs but removed DEF and K.  I spent $63 on CMC, $51 on OBJ, and $50 on Juju

Yea probably a little too much for both WRs imo. I think its tough to spend so much on just 3 guys. I’m fine with getting 5 players for $175 but 3 for &160+ makes it tough

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think I would adjust and plan to spend the majority of my funds on 5 or 6 players.  TE I don't spend on unless its Kelce or Ertz.  Other than that you can get a solid TE and one with potential for $1 or $2.  QB is similar, if you don't get top 3, spend $4 on one.  I would have liked to spread out my funds on JuJu a little better because it would give me a better starting lineup.  Then I just go for potential on the rest.  I don't like spending too much on guys with low ceilings so I risk it with a lower floor.

Even $4 for a QB seems high. I do like the idea of getting a Top-3 TE but the drop off is interesting as well because the $25+ could go a long way elsewhere. 

Yea i said 7-8 guys for $192 but honestly 1-2 of those players would likely be $1-2 each, maybe $4-5 for a high level backup and it still leaves ~$180 for 5-6 guys which seems like plenty. 

I dont love the update ESPN did, raised up costs on some of my favorite sleeper options based on cost given a few days ago

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I agree that i do the same. Also i kind of like throwing out DST/Kickers just to see if someone gets suckered in to spending more than $1...like I’ll take the Bears DST for $1 but not more so whoever puts them up wont get a bid from me. I think putting guys you love early is way too dangerous 

Bears D/ST went for $6 in my draft last night...

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I agree that i do the same. Also i kind of like throwing out DST/Kickers just to see if someone gets suckered in to spending more than $1...like I’ll take the Bears DST for $1 but not more so whoever puts them up wont get a bid from me. I think putting guys you love early is way too dangerous 

Basically what I was doing when it was my turn to nominate.  

If you don't utilize the online auction drafts like we didn't, make sure you keep track of what the max bid of the other teams are.  Towards the end, I nominated players I wanted for a buck too early.

Is it shady in auction drafts to up the bid so drastically that guys frantically pressing the bid button thinking its going from $6 to $7 really could be bidding $50?

Like we all know someone will nominate CMC for $1 and it increases by $1 with every bid but i like to throw out high bids to catch people sleeping. I dont do it with guys i dont love because there’s the off chance that no one else bids but it’s something