Auction League Strategies?

JaguarCrazy2832

Year 3 in our auction league and everyone that joined is hooked. I'm wondering what strategies you guys have for this year?

I tend to spend 75% of my budget on 3 players(usually 2 WRs and 1 RB) but I'm wondering if the value(specifically RB is more at the $30 range) where is should spend so more like 75-80% on 4 players

Thoughts?

7 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Year 3 in our auction league and everyone that joined is hooked. I'm wondering what strategies you guys have for this year?

I tend to spend 75% of my budget on 3 players(usually 2 WRs and 1 RB) but I'm wondering if the value(specifically RB is more at the $30 range) where is should spend so more like 75-80% on 4 players

Thoughts?

Assuming this is redraft?

You have 2 years of track record.  Look back to see how the top teams in the regular season are constructed.  Is it a couple studs with high price tags then scraps, OR good value players on modest contracts.  How the overall league tends to go after the studs is an important way to look at this.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

You have 2 years of track record.  Look back to see how the top teams in the regular season are constructed.  Is it a couple studs with high price tags then scraps, OR good value players on modest contracts.  How the overall league tends to go after the studs is an important way to look at this.  

Yes a redraft

31 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yes a redraft

I have not done an auction redraft in a few years.  Still my preferred style, but most avoid it.

I tried to set a budget for each position and a dollar value for within a position.  

Say 200 in total to spend.

40-45 % for RB

40-45% for WR

10-12 for TE

5-10 for QB 

Within that

Rb1 at 25-30%

Rb2 10%

Rb3 3-5%

Rest $1

Have your targeted players at each position and be willing to go a little more for some if you feel the value is still good.  But know when to drop out if it gets over your price.

My experience was that the better teams at year end found value at QB and TE and spent elsewhere.  Found 2-3 breakout players for great value at WR and rb.

And do a lot of mock auctions.  Get comfortable with dropping out on some players vs chasing Barkley for  $100+ and being left with a mediocre team.

5 hours ago, squire12 said:

Every year is different thought because of what's available. Like this year RB is deep so spending 50+ on any 1 back might not be the best idea but there are several good #2 RB options so you might be able to snag 2 of those for the cost of Barkley and then get 2 elite WRs

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Thought I’d give this a bump. My draft is this Saturday. I cant help but feel like going all in on starters and saying screw most of the BE spots is the way to go especially since the WW is FAAB anyways

Thoughts?

How many starters?   How many on the roster?

Just did our draft yesterday.  Spent 75% on three players, McCaffery, Conner, and Cook right off the bat. My strategy is to go hard on the RBs.  I think the WR depth is good enough to find some viable options.  Teams are using more 3 and 4 WR sets.  This and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee at 7-11.  

3 hours ago, a4ce said:

Just did our draft yesterday.  Spent 75% on three players, McCaffery, Conner, and Cook right off the bat. My strategy is to go hard on the RBs.  I think the WR depth is good enough to find some viable options.  Teams are using more 3 and 4 WR sets.  This and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee at 7-11.  

What did the rest of your roster look like?

2 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

What did the rest of your roster look like?

This was me for the next hour after doing that?  LOL

giphy.gif

QB-Cam and Lamar

RB-McCaffery, Conner, Cook, Coleman, and Samuel

WR-Anderson, Allison, Stills, TSmith, and Goodwin

TE-Waller

K-Prater

DST-NO

11 hours ago, a4ce said:

I did my money league yesterday and spent the bulk on McCaffery, OBJ, and JuJu.  It does suck sitting around for a while for others to spend their money.  Here is my final squad.

QB Aaron Rodgers, Kirk Cousins
RB McCaffery, White, Brieda, Murray, Darwin
WR OBJ, Juju, Hardman, Desean Hamilton, Keesean Johnson, N'Keal Harry
TE Andrews, Hockensen (likely dropping one of them for Goedert)
some IDP players all for $1. 

Pretty much I got the three studs and Rodgers and the rest was scraping together 3 and 4$ players.  I wish I wouldn't have spent the money on JuJu and split that between RB2 and WR2.  I could have had something like Diggs and Mack for a similar price to JuJu and White which I think would be a better combo.

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

I like to nominate high-priced players I'm NOT interested in drafting. Take away $$$ from opposition for guys I'm not interested in.

I agree that i do the same. Also i kind of like throwing out DST/Kickers just to see if someone gets suckered in to spending more than $1...like I’ll take the Bears DST for $1 but not more so whoever puts them up wont get a bid from me. I think putting guys you love early is way too dangerous