5 up, 5 down

pnies20

Sure, it’s preseason... but whoop wanna fight about it?

I was pleasantly surprised by a lot of things in this preseason game. I knew the 1s would be good but there are some ballers in the making below the surface.

Up:

1. The #1 O and D. Very good as expected. Garrett destroyed the Redskins OL in limited action and Baker looked crisp and accurate

2. Mack Wilson - He’s a beast in coverage. Fluid and athletic. Probably the only reason he doesn’t start this year is because there’s no reason to cut Kirksey this year.

3. Justin Burris - The guy looks like a prototypical nickel out there. Made some great reads in the run game and also had a nice sack on a blitz.

4. Sheehy-Guisseppi - Please find this guy a spot. His story is incredible and he needs to return punts for us.

5. Garrett Gilbert - He’s got good pocket presence, accuracy and a nice release. He’s a great developmental guy and should be the backup.

Down:

1. Backup OL - Especially Witzmann. Outside of Corbett there are zero quality backups and on top of that Kalis went down with a concussion.

2. Drew Stanton - He’s clearly only here to mentor Baker. He shouldn’t ever see the field.

3. Takitaki - they were singing his praises in the press box during the game but he has a lot of growing to do. He constantly over pursues and takes bad Angles. Also struggled to get off blocks and was absolutely stone walled on blitzes.

THATS IT

Honorable mention:

1. Greedy - if not for that blown coverage he played very well. Eventual starter

2. Chad Thomas and Devaroe Lawrence - showed potential to be solid rotational guys

3. Backup WRs - We are absolutely loaded with potential down to the bottom of the WR roster. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Backup OL - Especially Witzmann. Outside of Corbett there are zero quality backups and on top of that Kalis went down with a concussion.

I want to see them mix and match players on the OL. Having guys like Witzmann playing next to guys who wont make the team wont help him or having a QB who doesnt make quick decision. Especially when Witzmann is an established Vet and has had success in the league. I dont think he is magically going to really suck

1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

I think on that greedy TD Whitehead was supposed to help over the top

I’ll have to watch it again but i think there was a LB already in the flat. It looked To me like it was greedy’s fault. Either way. He had a decent outing. Stuck his head in there on some run plays which was great to see.

2 hours ago, pnies20 said:

I’ll have to watch it again but i think there was a LB already in the flat. It looked To me like it was greedy’s fault. Either way. He had a decent outing. Stuck his head in there on some run plays which was great to see.

I want to say Silks went after the safety immediately, I dont remember tho 

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Drew Stanton could survive 1-2 games. However, the defense would need to step up. We would have to play ball control and rely on our runningbacks.

I think Stanton is the best back up/#2 guy if Baker gets hurt in a game. I think Gilbert is the better back up if Baker has to miss a few games. Gilbert just has better arm talent and would be able to utilize our WRs better

On 8/10/2019 at 11:07 AM, pnies20 said:

1.) The D line depth is insane.  They had pressure non-stop.  If those backups can transition that into the same level against other teams starters, our defense is going to be scary.    The O-Line even the starters need to do better at creating holes.  But that pass protection seemed legit.  Probably because Baker had such a quick release.

2.) Mack Wilson will definitely be making an impact this year.

3.) I don't think Burris looked that good.  It was more of he was in the right place at the right time, not necessarily that he had good reads.  

4.) Guisseppi is a great story.  I just don't think he makes the team because he doesn't really contribute other than on the return game.  

5.) Gilbert.......We have vastly different perspectives on this.  For starters, he isn't a developmental guy.  He was drafted in 2014...... He's done most of the developing he is going to do.  His pocket presence is terrible.  He was scrambling when there was no need to scramble.   He stares his receivers down.  Doesn't go through his progressions.  I thought Blough looked like the better option to develop.  His mistakes were mental, not skill based.

1.) I don't think the line did that bad.  They need work for sure.

2.) Stanton will be dressed and the back up on games days for the near future.

3.) Takitaki definitely over commits.  But this is something that can be learned.   I think he is going to be a strong part of this team in the future.

1.) I don't think that was Greedy's blown coverage.  I think the safety was supposed to cover the top.

2.) Out D-line depth is insane.

3.) Hopefully some of those guys are able to be quietly stashed on the practice squad.  Beckam, Landry, Higgins, Strong, Willies, and Ratley are likely to be the 6 to make the 53 man initially.