Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

29 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He cancelled his trip to Maryland for a family conflict and the 247 Maryland insider made a crystal ball to UW shortly after. Would say he's as good as committed minus a total 180.

Slackman to Florida and Barnes to Colorado over the weekend. Not great for DL on the transfer front. The FSU DL went to the same HS as Willor, so I'm thinking that's more of a get to get him than to help the team. We'll see.

Tifase is a big boy (6'4" 300) and was a top 100 DL in his class so I don't think he's a nothing get if we take him. Not quite a Dillan Johnson type pull but better than Hank Weber lol.

Forgot that we also offered Kelvin Gilliam. He's an EDGE now but we beefed up Varner last year.

Edited by beekay414

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Tifase is a big boy (6'4" 300) and was a top 100 DL in his class so I don't think he's a nothing get if we take him. Not quite a Dillan Johnson type pull but better than Hank Weber lol.

Forgot that we also offered Kelvin Gilliam. He's an EDGE now but we beefed up Varner last year.

Honestly the portal is nice and all but I don't want to block guys like Howard, Johnson, Snowden, Moore, etc... from playing on defense, I would be OK with the secondary/DL room/RB room as is and just giving some young guys PT next year.

We really needed a QB, TE and some EDGE help and we got it. Slackman was an NFL caliber body so obviously you chase that but the only guy I'm really rooting we pull at this point is Cristian Driver and that reason is totally obvious ha.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Honestly the portal is nice and all but I don't want to block guys like Howard, Johnson, Snowden, Moore, etc... from playing on defense, I would be OK with the secondary/DL room/RB room as is and just giving some young guys PT next year.

We really needed a QB, TE and some EDGE help and we got it. Slackman was an NFL caliber body so obviously you chase that but the only guy I'm really rooting we pull at this point is Cristian Driver and that reason is totally obvious ha.

I don't disagree but the DL room is thin so bodies are needed regardless. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I don't disagree but the DL room is thin so bodies are needed regardless. 

I would like to see the rotation down to 5-6 like a pro team would have. Thompson, Varner, Neal, Barten, Howard, Johnson. Would obviously like Barten to be #6, but we have enough bodies. Maybe Jarvis or one of the McDonald's becomes a playable depth piece.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I would like to see the rotation down to 5-6 like a pro team would have. Thompson, Varner, Neal, Barten, Howard, Johnson. Would obviously like Barten to be #6, but we have enough bodies. Maybe Jarvis or one of the McDonald's becomes a playable depth piece.

Eh, I'd like to be at 10+ viable bodies on the DL. The freshmen may all be redshirt candidates despite the talent (Willor, if we land him, and Johnson - Weber's definitely redshirting). That leaves Thompson, Neal, Varner, Barten, Howard, Jarvis and the McDonalds. We already saw how not viable that group is in this system in 2023.