Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Would imagine Chaney will transfer out. Doesn't seem any of our 3 backers were scheme fits last year. 

One would assume. He's probably already been passed up by Alliegro. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Nolan Rucci in the portal.

We'll see if we wasted our time with Nelson or if he's actually just a recruiting bust.

Writing kinda was on the wall with the class we brought in and Nelson getting every opportunity this year. His brother is done so no reason to stick around.

16 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Any ideas on who is going to be our next OL coach?

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-wisconsin-to-hire-vanderbilt-offensive-line-coach-aj-blazek

Vanderbilt offensive line coach AJ Blazek is expected to take the same job at Wisconsin, sources tell FootballScoop.

Former Iowa Center.

Fickell can hire whoever he wants, I'm on board and it's fine. But man it's so weird to me that we have a program with a nationally recognized OL development tradition and somehow hire a new guy every year from OL coaching tree that isn't ours.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-wisconsin-to-hire-vanderbilt-offensive-line-coach-aj-blazek

Former Iowa Center.

Fickell can hire whoever he wants, I'm on board and it's fine. But man it's so weird to me that we have a program with a nationally recognized OL development tradition and somehow hire a new guy every year from OL coaching tree that isn't ours.

Well Rudolph was poached and wanted to be closer to his hometown, Bostad was a result of a coaching change, both of those guy were "Wisconsin guys" not sure what happened with Bicknell, but having an NFL caliber OL in Bortolini not be able to learn how to snap a football over the course of an entire season has to put your development skills into question.

Apparently Blazek has very strong Midwest ties from recruiting many years for Winona State, Western IL and NDSU. Maybe that's what Fickell was after? Bicknell struck out almost entirely with Midwest OL targets and it looks like we're going to lose the top two in-state OL in the 2025 cycle as well. Could just be that Fickell wanted someone younger and more exiting to play for there. 

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Well Rudolph was poached and wanted to be closer to his hometown, Bostad was a result of a coaching change, both of those guy were "Wisconsin guys" not sure what happened with Bicknell, but having an NFL caliber OL in Bortolini not be able to learn how to snap a football over the course of an entire season has to put your development skills into question.

Apparently Blazek has very strong Midwest ties from recruiting many years for Winona State, Western IL and NDSU. Maybe that's what Fickell was after? Bicknell struck out almost entirely with Midwest OL targets and it looks like we're going to lose the top two in-state OL in the 2025 cycle as well. Could just be that Fickell wanted someone younger and more exiting to play for there. 

This is more me being continually annoyed that we have let the "Wisconsin Guy" OL coach go extinct rather than criticism of Fickell or the hire.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is more me being continually annoyed that we have let the "Wisconsin Guy" OL coach go extinct rather than criticism of Fickell or the hire.

I think the Wisconsin guy OL coach was a sacrifice to get rid of the Wisconsin guy HC. 

We needed to get with the times at HC, hopefully Blazek gets us back to the same classic OL vibes but this time with a HC who can bring modern NIL competitive football at the other positions to Madison. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I think the Wisconsin guy OL coach was a sacrifice to get rid of the Wisconsin guy HC. 

We needed to get with the times at HC, hopefully Blazek gets us back to the same classic OL vibes but this time with a HC who can bring modern NIL competitive football at the other positions to Madison. 

You're right in that I shouldn't be putting this all on the OL coach.

More specifically, the loss of institutional knowledge on how to develop OL is the issue that bothers me. And that's turnover of a lot more than the coaching staff.