Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Should probably #LockeTheThread lol

beekay414

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Mertzy looks legit man. I didn't really blame Chryst last year for being so conservative, but if you're QB looks like he has thus far, let er rip.

Makes you wonder how much being conservative affected his confidence and led to poor play last year or if he is truly just better this year.

Just now, packerstk7 said:

Makes you wonder how much being conservative affected his confidence and led to poor play last year or if he is truly just better this year.

I've screamed the entire time that Mertz has been our QB that PC was neutering him and putting him in bad situations and it wasn't fair to judge him. It's not a shock that he looks legit when you modernize the offense and get guys in space giving Mertz easy throws. 

This is the Mertz we expected and PC going into his ultra-conservative shell would've made any QB look like ****.

1 minute ago, packerstk7 said:

He just looks comfortable in the pocket.  Last year everything went out the window with a bit of pressure, he'd drop his eyes and panic. This year, he just stands in there, trusts it and rips.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

Honest question: when is the last time we had 6 passing TD in a game? I know Mertz had 5 in his first career game.

I'm not sure we ever have. I couldn't find anything going back to Brooks Bollinger so unless we did it earlier under Barry, we've probably never done it.

My absolute favorite thing from today from BE was going back to plays that were near misses rather than fully scrap them like PC would do. The aggression, easy throws and balanced playcalling on every down was incredibly refreshing to see. You can see the NFL pedigree from Engram.

47 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I've screamed the entire time that Mertz has been our QB that PC was neutering him and putting him in bad situations and it wasn't fair to judge him.

Mertz has also improved this year. He's finally making plays outside the system, which he never did before.

You're right, and it's on PC to recognize that his QB is ready for a bigger leash, but Mertz as a sophomore does not make many of the plays he makes today. The TD pass to Dike at 14-0 comes to mind. Stood in the pocket, stepped up (!!!!), kept his eyes downfield, ran to create space for the WR, and put touch on the ball.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Mertz has also improved this year. He's finally making plays outside the system, which he never did before.

You're right, and it's on PC to recognize that his QB is ready for a bigger leash, but Mertz as a sophomore does not make many of the plays he makes today. The TD pass to Dike at 14-0 comes to mind. Stood in the pocket, stepped up (!!!!), kept his eyes downfield, ran to create space for the WR, and put touch on the ball.

I don't disagree that he's improved. Just feel that PC never did him any favors and made him look way worse than his talent. 

• Like 1