Stafford

diehardlionfan

I think Stafford missing Sundays game is pretty significant.

He suffered through back fractures last year but was medically cleared to play.

Same injury this year however the medical staff refused approval for him to play. Patricia was saying they felt it was to dangerous for him to play.

Pure speculation on my part however that would indicate this injury is more severe.

That is worrisome. 

Could this be the injury that ends his career? I wonder how much rest is needed for it to heal completely? What are the risks of reinjury?

• Like 1

https://detroitsportsnation.com/matthew-stafford-opens-long-wants-play-football/apowell/detroit-lions-news/09/04/2019/208363/

I had to look for this info before posting.

It's a really good time to have a serious conversation with Stafford. How long do you want to play football? Do you still want to play for as long as possible? It's pretty easy to say that he should just go home and rest up alongside his wife. We all want them to be well. However, it also seems pretty obvious that if that's what Stafford wanted, it's what he would have done already. I don't think Stafford has even started thinking about retirement.

If I'm wrong, maybe think about retiring right now. If I'm right, lets think about his long term health... both during and AFTER football.

I want Stafford as healthy as possible. I also want him to have the highest quality of life possible. I don't much care about winning games this year anymore.

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

https://detroitsportsnation.com/matthew-stafford-opens-long-wants-play-football/apowell/detroit-lions-news/09/04/2019/208363/

I had to look for this info before posting.

It's a really good time to have a serious conversation with Stafford. How long do you want to play football? Do you still want to play for as long as possible? It's pretty easy to say that he should just go home and rest up alongside his wife. We all want them to be well. However, it also seems pretty obvious that if that's what Stafford wanted, it's what he would have done already. I don't think Stafford has even started thinking about retirement.

If I'm wrong, maybe think about retiring right now. If I'm right, lets think about his long term health... both during and AFTER football.

I want Stafford as healthy as possible. I also want him to have the highest quality of life possible. I don't much care about winning games this year anymore.

I’m not certain what these types of injuries mean to a football player but I hope he listens to Doctors and then thinks long and hard about his future. 

I don’t think he was thinking about retirement either.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I’m not certain what these types of injuries mean to a football player but I hope he listens to Doctors and then thinks long and hard about his future. 

I don’t think he was thinking about retirement either.

Yeah... I hope he listens to the docs and then adds a little time just for extra comfort. He has an opportunity for an incredible life after football. He also has the opportunity to make that life incredibly uncomfortable.

• Like 1

I think at this point it would be best for the Lions to put him on IR and just let him rest up for the rest of the season/off-season. We aren't going to the playoffs so the rest of the season is basically just playing for draft position. The team needs to protect Stafford from himself. 

• Like 3

at this point we at least have to make a point to get a young qb in Detroit. Stafford wont be playing forever and we have had the luxury of having him being only starter since 2010(minus last week vs the bears).  he's 31 (32 next season) and we should take a page out of the eagles(foles) Pats(jimmy GQ/Matt Cassel) and at least have someone on the roster that can become the next great lions QB... not saying spend a 1 on a rookie but maybe a 2nd/3rd and develop them.

5 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

at this point we at least have to make a point to get a young qb in Detroit. Stafford wont be playing forever and we have had the luxury of having him being only starter since 2010(minus last week vs the bears).  he's 31 (32 next season) and we should take a page out of the eagles(foles) Pats(jimmy GQ/Matt Cassel) and at least have someone on the roster that can become the next great lions QB... not saying spend a 1 on a rookie but maybe a 2nd/3rd and develop them.

It feels like it would be more of a Brees/Rivers situation. He's only 31 years old. Stafford has another 3-4 years of solid play. Guys like Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, etc. are all playing into their late 30's. I do agree that the back-up situation has been bad and that we need to be taking guys and developing them. At the same time, Stafford isn't the problem here in Detroit. He's played MVP level football in spite of the Lions porous defense and nothing run game.