Will QB talent ever be on par with 2009 again?

patriotsheatyan

Who knows what will happen way in the future. At some point the league might be run by our new alien overlords, and will be flooded with big-armed talent from the jungle planet of Naghbiex IV.

In the short term? Probably not. Seems like lately the trend as been one of two things: try and scheme out an offense, with a coach merely using an empty-headed but physically gifted guy like a marionette, or an athletic QB who can make things happen with his legs, and occasionally huck it a quarter mile. I don't think either are tenable for long term success.

I don’t know if we’ll have the top elite pocket passers like that again. With  the necessity of drafting kids with mobility due to there being more of an emphasis on up the middle pass rushing, guys need to move a bit.

With that said, I think in general the QB play way better today. There is the numbers argument (the average qb is throwing for 237 yards at 64% vs 60.9% and 219).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/passing.htm

Then there is the anecdotal evidence that the mid to low teir of QBs are just better. Going into the year, the only team without either a viable vet or young guy with promise was probably Miami (even  they had Rosen). About 12 teams in 09 were just dead due to their qb situation. The bottom 7ish qbs today like Keanum, Flacco, Trubisky, Mariota, Winston, Fitzpatrick and Foles  have had moments. Looking at the bottom qbs then, it’s hard to say I’d take any of the bottom then over now  with maybe the exception of Mitch (Russel, Bulger, Quin, V Young, Freeman, Sanchez, young Fitzpatrick, Delhomme).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2009/passing.htm

Revision is always history, but I don’t want to go back to a time where David Garrard, Jason Campbell, Chad Henne, Matt Cassel, Orton, and Smoking Jay were top 20 QBs.(like literally some of these guys weren’t as good as our bottom 7 now).

Edited by pacman5252
Added in 09