Will QB talent ever be on par with 2009 again?

patriotsheatyan

In 2009, the following HoFers were playing and at a high level 

Brady

Manning

Rodgers

Brees

Favre

Rivers

Ben

Eli

Warner

Outside of them you have several Hall of Very Good QBs

Romo

McNabb

Ryan

Palmer

Smith

Hasselbeck

Then you have noteworthy long term starters who made pro bowls or did something notable

Flacco

Schaub

Cutler

Garrard

Vick (but didn’t start)

Then you have some guys who were in the above category but we’re past their primes and sucked, but still had names that make me reminisce 

Kerry Collins

Pennington

Delhomme

Bulger

Culpepper

Then, we had a large number of solid journeymen 

Orton

Campbell

Moore

Fitzpatrick

Cassel

Leftwich

We had entertaining busts

Sanchez

Young

Russell

Freeman

Leinhart

And we also had rookie Stafford

Will the NFL ever have that level of QB talent again?

Edited by patriotsheatyan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, patriotsheatyan said:

In 2009, the following HoFers were playing and at a high level 

Brady

Manning

Rodgers

Brees

Favre

Rivers

Ben

Eli

Warner

Outside of them you have several Hall of Very Good QBs

Romo

McNabb

Ryan

Palmer

Smith

Hasselbeck

Then you have noteworthy long term starters who made pro bowls or did something notable

Flacco

Schaub

Cutler

Garrard

Vick (but didn’t start)

Then you have some guys who were in the above category but we’re past their primes and sucked, but still had names that make me reminisce 

Kerry Collins

Pennington

Delhomme

Bulger

Culpepper

Then, we had a large number of solid journeymen 

Orton

Campbell

Moore

Fitzpatrick

Cassel

Leftwich

We had entertaining busts

Sanchez

Young

Russell

Freeman

Leinhart

And we also had rookie Stafford

Will the NFL ever have that level of QB talent again?

No.

• Like 1

Its hard to say. Will take a few more years to even have a chance at getting close.

Rodgers, Mahomes, Watson, Wilson, Carr, Jackson, Dak, Wentz, Jimmy G, Stafford, Ryan

Meh. List of who will still be around isnt so great. Maybe 1 or 2 more surprise but only the first four mentioned look elite to me. Easy to see those as perennial championship matchups of the new age.

Manning and Brady were amazing to watch but i feel like Mahomes Watson and Wilson may be even more entertaining.

It's hard to say, but I'll venture to say yes. 

Wilson, Rodgers, Stafford, Ryan are the likely candidates to be around in 3, 4 years as the seasoned veterans sniffing the HOF (or close to). Then you'll have Foles, Dalton, and Tannehill as your potentially solid but unspectacular journeyman types. I'm not entirely ready to throw in the towel on Mariota, Winston, Newton, types (guys with great tools who have a late renaissance of sorts). And we all know Fitzmagic will be finishing up his quest to start a game for every franchise in the league. And that just covers the guys who have been starting a while. 

Then we have Jimmy G, Goff, Carr, Wentz, Dak, Watson, Brissett, Cousins, Bridgewater as guys who have been starters for a while and have the potential to go either way as they've all had various ups and downs. 

Next, we have the newest crop of guys who either have loads of potential for good to great careers and are already showing it or it's at least apparently there in Mahomes, Mayfield, Darnold, J. Allen, Jackson.

Lastly, there's the group of new-fairly new guys who haven't given enough of a sample, if one at all, who could still wind up becoming good-great if circumstances go their way in Murray, Lock, K. Allen, Minshew, Jones, Haskins, Rosen. 

We're still a few years from so many guys realizing their potential or having their careers judged outside of 1 or 2 seasons that it's impossible to say, but the numbers, projected playing time, and overall pedigree of QBs in the league are definitely there to match or exceed 2009 levels.