Thirty-two

Shady Slim

so we have got thirty two teams in the league - my challenge to you is to create the best 32 man roster with a player from each team, with only a few rules

-you have to have fifteen players on offense and defense, a kicker and a punter (we won't have a LS just for this exercise). you also have to have two returners out of this i think, though they can be the same dude if he does both

-players have to be in their position from the team's depth chart, or in the case of returners, listed on the chart or have prior experience doing so

-some exceptions can be made to the above rule in the case of 3-4 and 4-3 DEs/OLBs: you can put DTs who are in a 4-3 side as your NT if you are running 3-4 and do the same in reverse if you want

-your offense and defense have to have fifteen players each

-the offense has to have at least 2 QBs (one of which is a backup), 3 WRs, 2 TEs, 2 RBs, 5 linemen and then a fullback (lets say that linemen don't get injured; and generally the reserve linemen don't get much play anyway)

-your defense has to have two defensive backs, a linebacker, and lineman to fill out the fifteen outside of what you'd consider a regular eleven man defense -

so this is my team:

Drew Brees of NO (QB1): now you could say this is unconventional but given the criteria this makes the most sense to me

Mitchell Trubisky of CHI (QB2): i am quite high on trubisky and he's my choice for backup QB: i think that the number two overall is one of the better number twos out

LeSean McCoy of BUF (RB1): ooh, let's get it shady baby

Christian McCaffery of CAR (RB2): here we have another very talented rookie just waiting to move in to the prime spot of his team

Kyle Juicecheck of SF (FB): moving to the golden gate was the best thing for this exercise wasn't it

Antonio Brown of PIT (WR1): we've got a fairly self explanatory pick here

DeVante Parker of MIA (WR2): he is a very strong WR2

Danny Amendola of NE (WR3): i have the entire patriots organisation to choose from and i pick amendola, that's not a typo. he's one of the better WR3s going around as per the depth charts and full well could be a WR2 on lots of teams

Travis Kelce of KC (TE1): given i didn't take gronk, this makes the most sense

Hunter Henry of LAC (TE2): getting in while he's still a TE2, because he's a very good player

David Bakhtiari of GB (LT): here we have another top player anchoring us

Kelechi Osemele of OAK (LG): we've got a very good line building here

Travis Frederick of DAL (C): this is a stacked OL

Marshal Yanda of BAL (RG): and here we go again

Jack Conklin of TEN (RT): i am more or less uncertain if this line is fair or not

Brandon Graham of PHI (LDE): yeah this is fine

Gerald McCoy of TB (DT): we've got a strongman up the middle

Ziggy Ansah of DET (RDE): and we've got my second favourite lion on the other side

Whitney Mercilus of HOU (SLB): love me some whitney

Deion Jones of ATL (MLB): here we have a rising young star

Zach Brown of WAS (MLB): because why not yo

Von Miller of DEN (WLB): this is a no brainer

Jakes Ramsey of JAX (LCB):  i'll take a member of the jags up and coming young defend who's cemented already as a top player

Janoris Jenkins of NYG (RCB): i am a huge jenkins fan so i'll take him as my cover man on the right

Tyrann Mathieu of ARI (FS): i'll take the honey badger for free safety

Kam Chancellor of SEA (SS): partnering with the honey badger is a compatriot of the NFCW

Jabrill Peppers of CLE (reserve DB/KR): they say that he's the swiss army knife so he's a brilliant reserve at DB, and he's a kick returner so covers my other return slot

Terence Newman of MIN (reserve DB): would say that he's pretty alright as a second reserve DB

Kony Ealy of NYJ (reserve DL): i got a jets player who wasn't awful and i have new england to thank

Carl Lawson of CIN (reserve LB): came out of the draft highly and i'm skimping bc i need a bengal, what's not to love

Johnny Hekker of LAR (P): he is very good

Adam Vinatieri of IND (K): he is also very good 

think i've got a good team, what can you guys come up with?

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/QB

QB: Aaron Rodgers (Packers), AJ McCarron (Bengals)

RB: Lesean McCoy (Bills), Demarco Murray (Titans)

FB: Kyle Juzcyzyk (49ers)

WR: Antonio Brown (Steelers), TY Hilton (Colts), Odell Beckham Jr (Giants)

TE: Rob Gronkowski (Patriots), Travis Kelce (Chiefs)

OL: Joe Thomas (Browns), Kyle Long (Bears), Travis Frederick (Cowboys), TJ Lang (Lions), Lane Johnson (Eagles)

DE: Leonard Williams (Jets), JJ Watt (Texans)

NT: Ndamukong Suh (Dolphins), Star Lotuleilei (Panthers)

Edge: Von Miller (Broncos), Khalil Mack (Raiders), Joey Bosa (Chargers)

LB: Telvin Smith (Jaguars), Deion Jones (Falcons)

CB: Josh Norman (Redskins), Patrick Peterson (Cardinals), Trumaine Johnson (Rams)

S: Harrison Smith (Vikings), Earl Thomas (Seahawks)

K: Justin Tucker (Ravens)

P: Thomas Morstead (Saints)

QB - Marcus Mariota (Tennessee Titans)

RB1 - Le'Veon Bell (Pittsburgh Steelers)

RB2 - Darren Sproles (Philadelphia Eagles)

FB - Patrick DiMarco (Buffalo Bills)

WR - Julio Jones (Atlanta Falcons)

WR - A.J. Green (Cincinnati Bengals)

WR3 - Devante Adams (Green Bay Packers)

WR4 - Cooper Kupp (L.A. Rams)

TE1 - Rob Gronkowski (New England Patriots)

TE2 - O.J. Howard (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)

LT - Tyron Smith (Dallas Cowboys)

LG - Kyle Long (Chicago Bears)

C - Rodney Hudson (Oakland Raiders)

RG - Kevin Zeitler (Cleveland Browns)

RT - Mitchell Schwartz (Kansas City Chiefs)

(using positions like DL, NT and EDGE instead of specific spots)

NT - Haloti Ngata (Detroit Lions)

DL - Joey Bosa (L.A. Chargers)

DL - J.J. Watt (Houston Texans)

DL depth - Kony Ealy (N.Y. Jets)

EDGE - Von Miller (Denver Broncos)

EDGE - Jason Pierre-Paul (N.Y. Giants)

EDGE depth - Solomon Thomas (San Francisco 49ers)

LB - C.J. Mosley (Baltimore Ravens)

LB - Luke Kuechly (Carolina Panthers)

LB depth - Will Compton (Washington)

CB1 - Xavier Rhodes (Minnesota Vikings)

CB2 - A.J. Bouye (Jacksonville Jaguars)

Nickel - Bobby McCain (Miami Dolphins)

FS - Tyrann Mathieu (Arizona Cardinals)

SS - Kam Chancellor (Seattle Seahawks)

K - Adam Vinatieri (Indianapolis Colts)

P - Thomas Morstead (New Orleans Saints)

Alright.  By golly i think i've done it!  Fun game, though it takes some planning and shuffling around to make it all fit.  Tried to be cognizant of places on depth charts and how to handle all that, rather than just compiling a list of top of depth chart Pro Bowlers, but it's tricky.  I'll roll with this:

Offense:

QB1: Matthew Stafford (DET).  - Hey, i've got the best player...errr...the guy paid like the best player EVER!!!  He's adaptable and versatile, and more than enough to dish the ball around.
QB2: Jimmy Garoppolo (NE).  - I don't even care as much for Jimmy's starter upside as many seem to...but i'll take him as a backup easy enough.

HB1: Le'Veon Bell (PIT). - Best all around back in the league will do the trick and provide plenty of versatility.
HB2: Matt Forte (NYJ). - Old as balls, but a guy who offers the all-around versatility to provide continuity behind my Bell-cow.
FB: Patrick DiMarco (BUF). - He's a FB and he's not entirely awful that i've noticed, that'll do.

TE1: Travis Kelce (KC). - Biggest TE threat in the league with the ball in his hands, i want that power and physicality please.
TE2: Hunter Henry (LAC). - Upside and ability, no need to overthink.

WR1: Julio Jones (ATL). - Imposing size, speed, dominant physicality...can do pretty much anything, and do it with style.  Prototype #1WR.
WR2: Brandon Marshall (NYG). - More size and physical dominance.  Smash mouth passing game.  Easy mode for QB.
WR3: Kenny Stills (MIA). - Let's add a dash of shifty explosive playmaking potential for kicks and giggles and something a little different.

LT: Tyron Smith (DAL). - Best member from the best OLine seems a decent anchor.
LG: Kyle Long (CHI). - Solid and with the right physical mentality.
C: Max Unger (NO). - Maybe not the best C out there, but still a quality savvy veteran more than capable of getting things organized and holding his own.
RG: Gabe Jackson (OAK). - Powwweeeerrrrrr!!!  There's a reason he's touted as one of the top young IOL around the league.
RT: Lane Johnson (PHI). - Heck of an athletic bookend.  As long as he stays off the juice or whatever, that line is set.

Defense:

OLB: Von Miller (DEN). - Best pure pass rusher plz and thnx.
DE: Calais Campbell (JAX). - Get some big and mean in there to push people around and cause some havoc.
NT: Johnathan Hankins (IND). - May not be glamorous, but a big ol' space eater is important and he's a solid one.
DE: Jurrell Casey (TEN). - Another guy who can be a straight up bully, and i'm into that.
OLB: Robert Quinn (LAR). - Seems like a forgotten man a bit, but when healthy he can absolutely be one of the league's premier wreckers of a QBs day.

ILB: Luke Kuechly (CAR). - Do it all LBer, tone-setter, and quarterback of my fun imaginary defense.
ILB: Jamie Collins (CLE). - Athletic chess-piece and a menace as a blitzer from inside.  Probably gonna bring the house, deal with it.

LCB: Patrick Peterson (ARI). - Playmaking from the CB position, rare talent.
RCB: Josh Norman (WAS). - Ho hum lockdown counterpart i guess.
NB: Darqueze Dennard (CIN). - I was pretty into him in the draft, and he seems adequate enough as a nickel here.

FS: Earl Thomas (SEA). - Only question for me at Safety was which Seahawk to pair with H.Smith.  Thomas gets the nod for the added range and flexibility for the back end.
SS: Harrison Smith (MIN). - See above.  Versatile and a reliable tone-setter for a quality secondary.

LBx: Noah Spence (TB). - Can never have enough pass rushing depth.  Spence may be on the raw side, but he could be a good one.

DLx: Solomon Thomas (SF). - Versatile high upside DLine depth listed in a secondary role for now to add to a stout rotation.

DBx: Quinten Rollins (GB). - Man, combing through depth DBs trying to find an interesting one made my brain hurt.  So i went with Rollins so some scouts can drool over his freethrow ability or whatever, and i could surely do worse.

P: Shane Lechler (HOU). - I'm not exactly a connoisseur of punters.  Seems fine.  Don't plan to be punting with that offense anyway.
K: Justin Tucker (BAL). - Best leg in the league as a contingency in the unlikely event that offense doesn't put 6 on the board every possession.

Whew.  Done.  I'm happy with that.  I hope i didn't cheat or screw up.

Offense:

QB1: Aaron Rodgers (GB)
QB2: Jacoby Brissett (IND) Well, that's the Colts taken care of

HB1: Le'Veon Bell (PIT)
HB2: Derrick Henry (TEN)
FB: Anthony Sherman (KC)

TE1: Rob Gronkowski (NE)
TE2: Hunter Henry (LAC). A number 2 TE who is the third best TE in the league

WR1: OBJ (NYG)
WR2: Mohammed Sanu (ATL)
WR3: Kenny Stills (MIA)(R)

LT: Joe Thomas (CLE)
LG: Kyle Long (CHI)
C: Max Unger (NO)
RG: Zach Martin (DAL) 
RT: Lane Johnson (PHI)

Defense:

OLB: Khalil Mack (OAK). 
DE: Leonard Williams (NYJ). 
DT: Marcell Dareus (BUF). 
DE: JJ Watt (HOU). 
OLB: Robert Quinn (LAR). 

ILB: Luke Kuechly (CAR). 
ILB: CJ Mosely (BAL). 

LCB: Patrick Peterson (ARI). 
RCB: Jalen Ramsey (JAX).
NB: Chris Harris (DEN). My nickel corner is better than your starters...

FS: Earl Thomas (SEA). 
SS: Harrison Smith (MIN). 

LB Depth: Ryan Kerrigan (WAS). 

DL Depth: DeForest Buckner (SF).

DB Depth: Glover Quinn (DET).

P: Kevin Huber (CIN)
K: Nick Folk (TB)

You can't beat my secondary

Archived