Jaguars fire Tom Coughlin

.Buzz

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

To sign one player, yes, usually. To keep a team or core together, not always. Being able to chisel the fat in order to keep one guy doesn’t equate to cap issues being nonexistent. 

Think at this point we're arguing different things. Obviously there's a cap and there's a maximum you can spend on a team. I realize this.

I don't characterize a team that is elite with their main core intact as a team with "cap issues". That's just having an enormous amount of talent and naturally having to let people hit the market and go elsewhere because you have the more important players/guys where you don't have potential replacements locked in and naturally can't keep everyone.

People that look at teams that aren't at that point, in which they are "up against the cap" prior to cuts/changes, is hilarious to watch. If a team is 5-11 and against the cap and want to make a ton of room, they easily can (just like the Jaguars).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Think at this point we're arguing different things. Obviously there's a cap and there's a maximum you can spend on a team. I realize this.

I don't characterize a team that is elite with their main core intact as a team with "cap issues". That's just having an enormous amount of talent and naturally having to let people hit the market and go elsewhere because you have the more important players/guys where you don't have potential replacements locked in and naturally can't keep everyone.

People that look at teams that aren't at that point, in which they are "up against the cap" prior to cuts/changes, is hilarious to watch. If a team is 5-11 and against the cap and want to make a ton of room, they easily can (just like the Jaguars).

That last paragraph is what I was saying before - looking at cap figures or dollar amounts at face value will not usually present an accurate picture of what is available come the offseason. I think we’re mostly on the same page, just got caught up in the “cap issues” or “cap myth” stuff. 

• Like 1

I think we all agree the “myth” part about cap space is the hangup. Saying its not that bad would’ve saved us alot of time 

If we were good at using our cap space on the open market I’d rather see the number higher but Yannick has to be priority number 1.

Campbell should be gone because we already have 2 edge guys and while neither are the massive LDE that can go inside on 3rd down he has to go

Dareus simply would make Aaron Donald money but had injuries and not much production. Run D was unbelievably bad with and without him

Ryan was a bad move from the start

I think cutting Bouye and Hayden are unnecessary. Yes AJ makes alot but of those mentioned he is by far the best at what he does, he isnt old and we just let Jalen go. Hayden is a good slot corner but there probably is someone better for less but sometimes you dont win every bidding war in the shark tank and we have plenty of other holes to fill with those draft picks

On 12/19/2019 at 12:29 PM, pwny said:

I’d caution against believing that this fixes the situation with Yan. His lack of a contract wasn’t just “Coughlin won’t pay,” as I’ve heard that Yan is one of the guys who wanted off the team because of Coughlin. I’m concerned that Coughlin may have burned the bridge for the team as a whole, and not just himself. In addition to that, Yan has also expressed that he thinks that Todd Wash and the defensive coaching staff is not putting him in a position to be as successful as he believes he can be. Without some pretty significant changes there, I have a hard time believing he wouldn’t leave for a team he believes will use him correctly. 

d3SePey.jpg

And there we go. He’s still expecting to be gone.

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Assuming the worst case scenario (that he won't play ball), I imagine the Jags will franchise and trade him.

If the team that’s already had players warned against signing here wants to lock up cap space they barely have to continue to ruin player relations, sure.